• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Vice Pres Harris Represents USA in Munich To Talk With Russia = Germany has also sent message to Russia

Razoo

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
CNN)Vice President Kamala Harris on Saturday vowed there would be a "swift, severe and united" response if Russia invades Ukraine and assured Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky the US "stands with Ukraine."

In remarks at the Munich Security Conference in Germany, Harris laid out retaliatory measures in a manner befitting her past career as a prosecutor, promising "significant and unprecedented" economic costs.

"We will impose far-reaching financial sanctions and export controls. We will target Russia's financial institutions and key industries. And we will target those who are complicit and those who aid and abet this unprovoked invasion," Harris said as she took center stage at the security conference, which is taking place as the brewing conflict between Russia and Ukraine reaches a boiling point.

What does Putin want in Ukraine? The conflict explained

The vice president continued, "Make no mistake: The imposition of these sweeping and coordinated measures will inflict great damage on those who must be held accountable

"Not since the end of the Cold War has this forum convened under such dire circumstances," Harris said. "Today, as we are all well aware, the foundation of European security is under direct threat in Ukraine."

The vice president emphasized the importance of international organizations, institutions, laws and treaties that she reiterated have led to "unprecedented peace, security and prosperity" in Europe in the wake of two world wars.

Harris stressed that at the heart of these defining principles is the belief that the sovereignty of nations must be respected, that nations have the right to choose their own governments and alliances, and "national borders should not be changed by force."

"In the face of Russian aggression, I have been reassured and heartened by the widespread agreement across the trans-Atlantic community that these rules and norms will be defended," Harris said.

"Not since the end of the Cold War has this forum convened under such dire circumstances," Harris said. "Today, as we are all well aware, the foundation of European security is under direct threat in Ukraine."

The vice president emphasized the importance of international organizations, institutions, laws and treaties that she reiterated have led to "unprecedented peace, security and prosperity" in Europe in the wake of two world wars.

Harris stressed that at the heart of these defining principles is the belief that the sovereignty of nations must be respected, that nations have the right to choose their own governments and alliances, and "national borders should not be changed by force."

"In the face of Russian aggression, I have been reassured and heartened by the widespread agreement across the trans-Atlantic community that these rules and norms will be defended," Harris said.

Germany's Scholz warns Russia of immediate sanctions if ...

https://www.reuters.com › world › europe › germany-hop...
Feb 13, 2022 — BERLIN, Feb 13 (Reuters) - German Chancellor Olaf Scholz on Sunday warned Russia of immediate sanctions and "hard reactions" if it attacks ...

immediate′ sanctions if Russia invades Ukraine | News | DW​

https://www.dw.com › germanys-scholz-vows-immediat...

Feb 13, 2022 — Ahead of his talks in Kyiv and Moscow next week, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz has warned Russia of tough penalties if it invades Ukraine.

Germany's Scholz warns Russia would pay 'very high price' for ...​

https://www.politico.com › news › 2022/02/07 › germa...

Feb 7, 2022 — Germany's Scholz warns Russia would pay 'very high price' for invading Ukraine. The German chancellor also said “all options are on the ...

German chancellor warns of far-reaching sanctions if Russia ...​

https://www.npr.org › 2022/02/14 › german-chancellor-w...

7 days ago — Scholz is planning on flying to Moscow to meet with Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday. The leader's attempts to diffuse tensions and ...

Yeah, thanks, keep me posted... if anything, we did not come to the war on February 15-16, nor on February 20, as the American side stated, and at Biden's request, we will not come to the war in the next two weeks either... you can celebrate.

Yeah, thanks, keep me posted... if anything, we did not come to the war on February 15-16, nor on February 20, as the American side stated, and at Biden's request, we will not come to the war in the next two weeks either... you can celebrate.
Russian Separatists in the Donbas have formally asked Russia to send in Russian troopers. That would be the second to last step in the Russian pretext for invasion campaign. Last step....missiles or bombs or troopers cr tanks crossing the border.

Coming to a head now since the spring thaw is right around the corner.

She's saying what almost everyone here on this board has suggested she say.

Russian Separatists in the Donbas
Yes, I know, we will help in any way we can. Until Ukraine goes on a full-scale offensive, Putin will not introduce an army.

Yes, I know, we will help in any way we can. Until Ukraine goes on a full-scale offensive, Putin will not introduce an army.
Well then if that is the case, we will get past this without war in Ukraine. Ukraine is not going to a full scale offensive.

Well then if that is the case, we will get past this without war in Ukraine. Ukraine is not going to a full scale offensive.
It is difficult to speak for Ukraine, this is a country where statehood is in question, and the president and parliament do not entirely control the military and the police, it is enough to take the same Azov battalion, which is funded by the oligarch Kolomoisky, and the direct leadership is carried out by Beletsky (a Ukrainian nationalist and aspiring politician), where the subordination of this battalion to the state is exclusively formal and there is no real control.
It is not difficult to provoke either side in this situation, given that artillery shelling has begun from both sides.

Remember Russia got chased out of Afghanistan ............

... And since Harris is saying exactly what people in the other thread said we should do I'm expecting them to come in here and celebrate her.

Remember Russia got chased out of Afghanistan ............
Not as shameful as NATO fled)))
Here is a very stupid example with Afghanistan. The USSR withdrew troops and equipment with proudly raised flags, and the Afghan government fought the Taliban for several more... whereas NATO fled, abandoning people, equipment, and the Afghan government fell even before the last American military were evacuated.

Do you seriously want to talk about this?

With all due respect (I am NOT being sarcastic), it is highly doubtful that whatchamacallit ( I cannot bear to mention his name) in the Kremlin is shaking in his boots by what Vice President Harris says.

We know that Russia is a very macho country, so it is not going to cower in fear because a little lady reads aloud some prepared words of warning. Besides, Russia's leaders know that she is not even held in high regard in her own country.

President Biden, IMHO, should have sent a distinguished and impressive-looking military man to speak.

Russia could not win in Afghanistan .......... the harsh winters and terrain work for Afghanistan. Russia lost their ass on that one. So did the USA. The only way Afghanistan knows is through many covert actions which have been effective. They have the support of surrounding governments who also put up vicious covert actions. No invading factor wins in the oil region.

With all due respect (I am NOT being sarcastic), it is highly doubtful that whatchamacallit ( I cannot bear to mention his name) in the Kremlin is shaking in his boots by what Vice President Harris says.

We know that Russia is a very macho country, so it is not going to cower in fear because a little lady reads aloud some prepared words of warning. Besides, Russia's leaders know that she is not even held in high regard in her own country.

President Biden, IMHO, should have sent a distinguished and impressive-looking military man to speak.
The lady in Germany sent a stern message. Economic sanctions from multiple countries can bring Russia to its' knees.

It is difficult to speak for Ukraine, this is a country where statehood is in question, and the president and parliament do not entirely control the military and the police, it is enough to take the same Azov battalion, which is funded by the oligarch Kolomoisky, and the direct leadership is carried out by Beletsky (a Ukrainian nationalist and aspiring politician), where the subordination of this battalion to the state is exclusively formal and there is no real control.
It is not difficult to provoke either side in this situation, given that artillery shelling has begun from both sides.
Not confirmed from both sides at this point.

Plus, Ukraine has been dealing with this Donbas situation for years. You are proposing that with 75% of Russia's conventional arms massed on its borders, NOW is the time when it is going to launch a full scale offensive?

Your argument is that in the fog of war, control is difficult. Sorry....you are just making a version of Putin's pretext for invasion argument for him. NICE TRY.

The lady in Germany sent a stern message. Economic sanctions from multiple countries can bring Russia to its' knees.
Actually IMO the mistake Harris made was in answering the question about Biden's comments regarding Putin already having decided to attack by saying that "he will attack ....PERIOD."

That is actually not the Administration position. The Administration position is that Putin has decided to attack but will continue to calculate his risk in terms of body bags coming back to Russia over time plus sanctions and may well resign himself to having miscalculated initially and not attack after all.

As usual Harris has been fine reading from a script. Its when she answers questions or has to think on her feet about an administration foreign policy position that she stumbles. The only one in the room that appeared to notice it was Zelensky who immediately took the opportunity to launch into another of his "sanction Russia now, before they attack" mantras.

Sigh....she is still learning.

Not confirmed from both sides at this point.

Plus, Ukraine has been dealing with this Donbas situation for years. You are proposing that with 75% of Russia's conventional arms massed on its borders, NOW is the time when it is going to launch a full scale offensive?

Your argument is that in the fog of war, control is difficult. Sorry....you are just making a version of Putin's pretext for invasion argument for him. NICE TRY.
I'm sorry, but this is some kind of speech from the square... what are 75% of weapons, where are the data from? From the same ceiling when they said that Russia would attack on February 15?

I'm sorry, but this is some kind of speech from the square... what are 75% of weapons, where are the data from? From the same ceiling when they said that Russia would attack on February 15?
From US intelligence...up from 60% last week to 75% this week.

Oh and you will have to provide me a citation for the administration claiming that Russia would attack on Feb 15th. Nobody that I can remember has pegged the attack to a specific date yet.

Biden said "Putin could launch an attack on Feb 16th." Again...NICE TRY. Go back and get further instructions from the Imperial Death Star.

Actually IMO the mistake Harris made was in answering the question about Biden's comments regarding Putin already having decided to attack by saying that "he will attack ....PERIOD."

That is actually not the Administration position. The Administration position is that Putin has decided to attack but will continue to calculate his risk in terms of body bags coming back to Russia over time plus sanctions and may well resign himself to having miscalculated initially and not attack after all.

As usual Harris has been fine reading from a script. Its when she answers questions or has to think on her feet about an administration foreign policy position that she stumbles. The only one in the room that appeared to notice it was Zelensky who immediately took the opportunity to launch into another of his "sanction Russia now, before they attack" mantras.

Sigh....she is still learning.
Perhaps had Vice Pres Harris been representing herself that screw up would not have happened. Biden has after all been delivering some very tough talk regarding whether or not he will bring on the troops. "he will attack ....PERIOD." is what I was hearing which is a concern. It can be difficult in politics speaking for someone else yet be sure the message was the same.

I say Germany speaking up has been extremely helpful. While Putin may be the Macho dude he now has three powerful women in his face = Pelosi was also nearby.

Perhaps had Vice Pres Harris been representing herself that screw up would not have happened. Biden has after all been delivering some very tough talk regarding whether or not he will bring on the troops. "he will attack ....PERIOD." is what I was hearing which is a concern. It can be difficult in politics speaking for someone else yet to be sure the message was the same.

I say Germany speaking up has been extremely helpful. While Putin may be the Macho dude he now has three powerful women in his face = Pelosi was also nearby.
Biden did not add the "PERIOD". Harris did. Figures of speech in foreign affairs are never a good idea unless you know exactly what you are talking about. Even then they can be treacherous ground for walking.

"he will attack .." without (period )does not alter what I was hearing which was/is a concern.

PERIOD is a choice to emphasize the message. Nonetheless I do not see the damage thus we will have to agree to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom