• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Viability point

What is the cut off point for abortions per the OP premises?

• Never allow an abortion even if it kills the mother and child.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well - I was born Caesarean, so passage through the birth canal wasn't the final arbiter of my personhood.

But I can say this with geometric certainty. Nobody will ever celebrate the day of their first trimester, the day of their first brainwave, the day of their first heartbeat, the day of their first leg twitch, the day of conception, the day of . . . . well, you get the idea. The only day anyone will ever celebrate is the day of their birth - the day of their first breath outside the body. And their birthday - their breath day - is the only date that will ever appear on anyone's documentation declaring them a human being, conferred with commensurate human rights.

So . . . there is that.
I guess I'm saying there is a point where we as a state are obligated to ensure that the birth occurs. By week-30, abortions begin to become rather problematic.

Killing a baby is infanticide. All states have laws making infanticide. illegal.

Then why do you cite the myriad problems faced by preemies?

That seems meaningless. You oppose all unnecessary abortions unless the mother deems it necessary? How is that opposition?
I oppose needless abortions morally but support them legally...

If a baby were born at 34 weeks, would you be in favor of killing it if the mother wanted it due to the prognoses you cited?
I am not sure anybody that is not psychotic approves of murdering an infant child...

I guess I'm saying there is a point where we as a state are obligated to ensure that the birth occurs. By week-30, abortions begin to become rather problematic.
As long as the State's obligation ensures not only that a birth occurs, but that the infant is provided for, educated, and raised humanely all the way through to adulthood. But frankly, I'd be astounded if the political will to follow through with that will ever appear on the horizon. The rabid right-wing-nuts would rather force the birth of the child, then watch it starve to death, than create yet another social program.

I don't understand. There definitely should be restrictions after viability. For that matter there should be restrictions prior to viability. As I said earlier, viability is a red herring. The notion that we can kill people because they're dependent on others is horrifying.

I'm only doing the current debate because I want to see if any pro-choice people really oppose post-viability abortions, however uncommon they are.

Why do you need to have restrictions? Do you not trust doctors to behave ethically? Do you not trust women make intelligent decisions? If you don't think doctors and women are ethical and intelligent why are you not advocating for restrictions on them besides abortion? Why not restrict their decision making about schooling, vaccinations, religion, dress codes, medications medical treatments.

Why do you need to have restrictions? Do you not trust doctors to behave ethically? Do you not trust women make intelligent decisions? If you don't think doctors and women are ethical and intelligent why are you not advocating for restrictions on them besides abortion? Why not restrict their decision making about schooling, vaccinations, religion, dress codes, medications medical treatments.

Argue against abortion long enough and you eventually realize you're debating very hardened and very selective libertarians.

Trust them? Not in this sense. Schooling, vaccinations, religion, dress codes, medications, and medical treatments aren't abortion. Abortion deliberately kills an innocent human being. If doctors and women consider dealing death to innocents "ethical" and "intelligent" then no, I don't trust them.

When the chips are down and the compulsion is there every last one of us can do unspeakable evil. Laws exist in part to dissuade such things.

As long as the State's obligation ensures not only that a birth occurs, but that the infant is provided for, educated, and raised humanely all the way through to adulthood. But frankly, I'd be astounded if the political will to follow through with that will ever appear on the horizon. The rabid right-wing-nuts would rather force the birth of the child, then watch it starve to death, than create yet another social program.
Yes, ethically, the state must ensure the born child is properly cared for. That should apply to all born children, not just those saved from abortions.

Argue against abortion long enough and you eventually realize you're debating very hardened and very selective libertarians.

Trust them? Not in this sense. Schooling, vaccinations, religion, dress codes, medications, and medical treatments aren't abortion. Abortion deliberately kills an innocent human being. If doctors and women consider dealing death to innocents "ethical" and "intelligent" then no, I don't trust them.

When the chips are down and the compulsion is there every last one of us can do unspeakable evil. Laws exist in part to dissuade such things.
People don't behave intelligently and ethically in every aspect of their lives except just one. The locus of the problem isn't with the doctors or women. It's with the religious conservatives spreading the myth that doctors are irresponsible and unethical about abortion and women are brainless, selfish and ignorant. They commit unspeakable evil so they must be in, the name of God, controlled. In your pursuit of re-establishing Calvin's 16th century Geneva you have forgotten that In the 18th century we wrote a Constitution that protects everybody from your religious laws and assures people's privacy in personal lives.

BTW when the chips are down you may do unspeakable evil but the rest of us gather together and support each other.

Abortion deliberately kills an innocent human being.
It is not innocent. It is invasive and can kill the host.
Why do you morally oppose needless abortion?
I guess I should say that I kinda oppose it. I guess I should also say that only when two have unprotected sex. It they have no intention of being pregnant then I do not oppose it. I probably oppose maybe 3-5% of abortions.

I did. And FYI, I provided the link earlier when I first mentioned the study.

Preemies have survived as early as 22 weeks. Several examples I cited were after 22 weeks. Viability is the state whereby its possible for the child to survive outside the womb. That's definitely viable.

So. Do you still support post-viability abortions?
Sorry but the link did not work when I first read your post, but it does now. It is the same information as the link I looked for.

Of course I still support abortion on agreement with the pregnant women and in the case of post viability more than one doctor. Who do you think would have a better understanding of whether an abortion should happen or an attempt to save a preemies life, doctors and nurses or lawyers and politiciens.

So you are saying that if 99% of the people in the US want it legal for the government to just come in on a moment's notice and take blood or a spare organ on a moment's notice, then such should be legal? Or if 99% of the people want the US to be under Catholic based law, that it should be?
My apology I did miss this.

Your alternative is a dictatorship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_rights
Fetal rights are the moral rights or legal rights of the human fetus under natural and civil law. The term fetal rights came into wide usage after the landmark case Roe v. Wade that legalized abortion in the United States in 1973.[1] The concept of fetal rights has evolved to include the issues of maternal substance use disorders, including alcohol use disorder and opioid use disorder.[2] The only international treaty specifically tackling fetal rights is the American Convention on Human Rights which envisages the right to life of the fetus. While international human rights instruments lack a universal inclusion of the fetus as a person for the purposes of human rights, the fetus is granted various rights in the constitutions and civil codes of several countries.[which?] Many legal experts[who?] believe there is an increasing need to settle the legal status of the fetus.[1]

That is a trick question. If no one believes it is a right then why would anyone care if it was a right.

No I am not sure that is true because it is usually the case where medical ethics committee will only act after a court of law has proven guilt. so not above the law but simply following suite by disbarring the doctor.

Again trick question. Either a termination at 9 months for a good reason or your suggesting she has decided it would be better to go dancing.

I have no idea how that is conversion therapy.

Whether you are or not trying to demonise women is not an issue. I am suggesting that the viability issue is itself a tool of the anti abortion crowd. There is no real definition of when viability occurs because medical science does advance. So it is not an issue that gives other than the doctors and the woman a reason to decide what outcome they will try for.

The reasons given in post 102# will suffice for america. For nz where we have cradle to grave welfare much of those things would not be a problem. Must suck to be poor, pregnant, and alone in a god fearing capitalist country.

Pretty much... no women are aborting a 9 month old fetus for shits and giggles...
But if they are legally allowed to at 3 months, then they should be legally allowed to at 9 month?

But if they are legally allowed to at 3 months, then they should be legally allowed to at 9 month?
I already said that they should be allowed to...

In a perfect world people trust others are making the best decisions they can, where no laws control a simple medical procedure. Most pro-choice advocates believe in a perfect world. It's not realistic.

Pro-life advocates' world is evil. Women are wanton. They drag men into their world of sin where they ignore God's laws and kill babies. The state is obligated to control evil by enforcing God's law. That also is unrealistic.

Somewhere between Texas' world of evil and Alaska's free wheeling no limits people make laws that serve a real world.

No that makes no sense at all. If 99% of the people do want abortion and the government still insists on making it legal then those 99% are living under a tyranny not a democracy.
So you are saying that if 99% of the people in the US want it legal for the government to just come in on a moment's notice and take blood or a spare organ on a moment's notice, then such should be legal? Or if 99% of the people want the US to be under Catholic based law, that it should be?
Your alternative is a dictatorship.
I want to highlight that bold part again. This concept that a majority should determine what happens absolutely mean that we can vote slavery back in because a majority wants it. Where is the line before we don't let the 99% get what they want?

And if you have bothered to read any of my posts through many abortion threads you will find I am not among those who hold contradictory views in such a manner.
I can't recall if you personally made the argument, but if one makes the argument that a woman can abort because the ZEF is not among the "born" and thus has no rights, then you can't turn around and claim she can't abort later in the pregnancy. That would be a contradictory view. What would be the basis for restricting that abortion?
Seems like we're back at my viability question from this. However, there still is nothing per se in US law granting fetal rights.

Women do not get late term abortions on a whim, there is no evidence of that.
Never claimed otherwise. Is there a certain significant number of people who have to engage in something for the right to engage in that to exist? If gun ownership drops below a certain amount, say .01%, does the right to bear arms suddenly no longer become a right?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_rights
That is a trick question. If no one believes it is a right then why would anyone care if it was a right.
I didn't ask about anyone believing in a right, but in exercising it. Does not exercising a right mean that one doesn't believe in that right? Look what I asked about gun ownership again. Is there a certain level of exercising a right to keep the right existing?

Bloody character limits....

Doctors are bound by their own ethics and must try and save the life of a preemie if possible.
Never claimed otherwise here either. Ultimately a woman's right is to have the pregnancy terminated, not terminate her genetic offspring. That is why she can not abort an offspring of hers if it is in a surrogate's womb. Furthermore, ethics would be something above and beyond the law. There is no law that mandates that a woman wanting an abortion forces a doctor to provide one, nor what they do afterwards. That is also beyond the scope of the question. I had the phrase "if you can find a doctor willing" in option 3 for a reason.
No I am not sure that is true because it is usually the case where medical ethics committee will only act after a court of law has proven guilt. so not above the law but simply following suite by disbarring the doctor.
Unless I aligned the quotes wrong, this makes no sense to what I was asking. First by saying that ethics are above and beyond the law, I mean that the ethics will prevent the action even if the law allows it. My second part noted that while RvW prevents laws that prohibit an abortion (at least prior to viability), no law or lack thereof forces a doctor to perform an abortion. The doctor can refuse the procedure if it violates his own ethics.

The argument of viability is nothing more than another foolish attempt by anti abortionists to demonise women.
Then there should be no problem with a woman having the right to abort the fetus right through month 9.
Again trick question. Either a termination at 9 months for a good reason or your suggesting she has decided it would be better to go dancing.
And now we're back to what I asked later in the post. What makes a good reason? Why should the woman be required to have a good reason? Why should it make a difference that she decides it would be better to go dancing at 3 month or at 9 months?

Abortion is a private medical issue not a legal one.
Then so is conversion therapy.
I have no idea how that is conversion therapy.
I'm pointing out that if abortion is a private medical issue and not a legal one, then so is conversion therapy, and should no more be subjected to a ban than abortion is.

Oh for goodness sakes.....

And please do not bother to point out you are not an anti abortionist when you are catering to their propaganda of demonising women.
So, I am the one who is advocating that women should be allowed to choose to do with their bodies, right through month 9, what they want to do, because it is their bodies, and yet somehow I am demonizing women? How do you figure that? What argument for saying that they should be allowed to abort earlier in the pregnancy's, suddenly go away? Does the fetus suddenly get rights or personhood? Does her right of bodily autonomy suddenly go away? Is it suddenly no longer a decision between her and her doctor?
Whether you are or not trying to demonise women is not an issue.
Then why did you bring it up?

I am suggesting that the viability issue is itself a tool of the anti abortion crowd.
Is it, when many pro-choice also support a viability limit?

There is no real definition of when viability occurs because medical science does advance.
That would go back to my pointing out that the viability point, at least in law, would have to be arbitrarily chosen.

So it is not an issue that gives other than the doctors and the woman a reason to decide what outcome they will try for.

If you want a personal choice then make it on a subject that does not try and demonise women by pretending that they will get abortions for no good reason in late term and the rest of society (meaning men) should decide for women what they can or cannot do.
Define a good reason for an abortion. Is not wanting to no longer be pregnant a good reason? What makes it a good reason at 20 weeks but not at 30 weeks? Keep in mind, the number of women who would get one has nothing to do with whether it's a good reason or not. I'll go back to my earlier premise; if 99% of women don't want to get abortions for any reason, is it suddenly no longer a right to get an abortion. If only one woman a year wants to get an abortion, does not that right to do so still exist, or does it go away because practically no one gets one? And for that matter, looking at early term abortions, does a woman even need a good reason to get an abortion? Isn't it her right to get one, regardless of whether the reason is good or bad?
The reasons given in post 102# will suffice for america. For nz where we have cradle to grave welfare much of those things would not be a problem. Must suck to be poor, pregnant, and alone in a god fearing capitalist country.
That doesn't answer my question. If it is a right for her to be able to get an abortion if she wants to, then what does it matter what the reason is? And given that good and bad are subjective views, who gets to determine whether her reason is good or bad?

I want to highlight that bold part again. This concept that a majority should determine what happens absolutely mean that we can vote slavery back in because a majority wants it. Where is the line before we don't let the 99% get what they want?

Seems like we're back at my viability question from this. However, there still is nothing per se in US law granting fetal rights.

I didn't ask about anyone believing in a right, but in exercising it. Does not exercising a right mean that one doesn't believe in that right? Look what I asked about gun ownership again. Is there a certain level of exercising a right to keep the right existing?
My apology, when you referred to 99% of the people I foolishly assumed you meant a rational people, as opposed to this mob that apparently lives only to behave as evil as possible. So I would look at this as if there must be a good reason to bring slavery back.

No we are not back at your viability question. I gave that link to counter your opinion that fetal rights do not exist. And your pointing out that there is no legal right in america is amusing. So to paraphrase, if 99% of americans do not believe in fetal rights , then they do not exist. While ignoring the 1% holding a bit of paper that shows that such a thing as fetal rights do exist.

No, I would think a committed bachelor would have no problem in believing others have the right to marry and have children without any desire to exercise their own right in that.

As for your gun question. A certain level could be interpreted as they will exercise their right to own a gun by killing anyone who tries to take their gun from them. This of course, would be a criminal act. So you are arguing if 99% of the people believe it is justified to become criminals then they should get what they want.

Bloody character limits....

Unless I aligned the quotes wrong, this makes no sense to what I was asking. First by saying that ethics are above and beyond the law, I mean that the ethics will prevent the action even if the law allows it. My second part noted that while RvW prevents laws that prohibit an abortion (at least prior to viability), no law or lack thereof forces a doctor to perform an abortion. The doctor can refuse the procedure if it violates his own ethics.

And now we're back to what I asked later in the post. What makes a good reason? Why should the woman be required to have a good reason? Why should it make a difference that she decides it would be better to go dancing at 3 month or at 9 months?

I'm pointing out that if abortion is a private medical issue and not a legal one, then so is conversion therapy, and should no more be subjected to a ban than abortion is.
Character limits are gods way of telling you, you talk to much.

Yes, that supposedly is what ethics is all about. But no, ethics has no power to stop anyone from ignoring them. A bit like a law has no power to stop anyone from doing an illegal act. That is why I said there should be the opinion of at least two or more doctors. If a 9 month pregnant women arrives at emergency after being in a car crash. Which is more important, what your local politician thinks about abortion or the opinion of a few doctors and nurses.

No, that is not honest of you. I gave you a set of reasons in that link and stated as far as america goes they are a set of good reasons. That answers all three why's.

No, that comparison does not work. Conversion therapy has no validity in science. It is superstitious nonsense. Where as abortion can be proven to work.

Oh for goodness sakes.....

Then why did you bring it up?

Is it, when many pro-choice also support a viability limit?

That would go back to my pointing out that the viability point, at least in law, would have to be arbitrarily chosen.

That doesn't answer my question. If it is a right for her to be able to get an abortion if she wants to, then what does it matter what the reason is? And given that good and bad are subjective views, who gets to determine whether her reason is good or bad?
So if the mods, who are probably 1% decide that character limits will be the right of 99% of the users, then that's ok.

I did not bring it up, you assumed it. But if in any way I implied it then my apology, that was not the intention.

The question is not the viability limit. It is who gets to decide when that limit is reached. My supporting a woman's right to choose does not mean I have any influence in that choice.

True so why have one? By the time parliament passed a law we would only end up with them passing a law that is already out of step with technology.

And again my answer is the same, which is. Must suck to be poor, pregnant, and alone in a god fearing capitalist country. Despite the fact that america can boast the best medical technology your health care system is so miserable that any excuse to get an abortion should be acceptable.

SO this will be mostly for the pro-choice side, although I am putting some choices for the pro-life because you know that they will chime in regardless.

If you are prochoice, do you feel that abortion should be available on demand at any point, or only before the viability point of development? Why or why not?

Premises:
Viability point is obviously variable, so yes an arbitrary point would have to be decided, much like we use 18 as the arbitrary point of adulthood. That exact point is not important for the question.

The question is assuming that the mother's life is not in imminent danger nor is the fetus in danger of dying in womb or shortly after birth nor is deformed in any manner.

The mother has been aware of the pregnancy since at least 12 weeks (3 months), if not sooner.
Prior to current attempts to make the variable a constant, the point was the moment of birth. That's a point that cannot be mistaken or misread. It held legal standing because it was clear and difficult to deny. Your example of 18 years old is not a variable or arbitrary. It's a fixed point in time that the courts can see and support.

Therein lies the conundrum of abortion. What fixed point in time represents a non variable point that all can agree on. Certainly the heartbeat law just passed in Texas would not generate a viable child were it to suddenly be born. That law is simply an attempt to push the limits of the defining point to a place where the concept of abortion is impossible. It is not a one size fits all solution.

Personally I have some difficulty with abortion being used as a normal birth control method. I do not have a problem however with abortions due to rape, incest, valid medical problems for the mother. Again, not a one size fits all.

Alas, it appears that there is no ground on which all can stand and agree from unlimited abortion to never never never.

No, I would think a committed bachelor would have no problem in believing others have the right to marry and have children without any desire to exercise their own right in that.

So then the right exists, even if hardly anyone exercises it, correct?

Back
Top Bottom