• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Vi, Vin, Vino, Fion, Wein, Wyn, Wijn, Bor, Gwin, Divai

rivrrat

Goddess of Bacon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
In other words: Wine.

Thought maybe since a side convo started to take off in the dinner thread, that perhaps it deserved it's own thread.

Maybe you're looking for a perfect pairing, or a really good cabernet, red or white with dinner, fridge or countertop, is expensive always better, etc, etc.

Now, MY question is: I'm looking for a good chocolate wine, any suggestions? I tried ChocoVine, but found it a bit too harsh for my liking. Kind of felt like I was drinking shots of chocolate flavored whiskey or something. LOL Something softer, smoother is what I'm looking for.

Never tried chocolate wine. I am however a sucker for a decent bordeaux.

I am not so familiar with chocolate wines myself, and the concept just sounds like an abomination to me.

Chocolate does pair fabulously with a nice bold red, I especially enjoy a fruit forward Cab with strong cherry nuances with a very dark chocolate, or a rich chocolate dessert.

On the chocolate note - Heitz Cellars consistently produces fantastic cabs (they are kinda pricey), they have always been one of my favorites, and their wines have a trademark subtle chocolate nuance to them, but pairing this wine with chocolate would make it impossible to detect this in the wine itself.

Last edited:
I could never stand wine, it always smelled somewhat like a solvent.

I much prefer something like a genuine European absinthe, far tastier.

Wines I have on a fairly regular basis: Pinot noir, Merlot, Zinfandel, and Malbec.

It doesn’t matter what foods I pair them with, I just like red wine.

Sometimes it's good to just chilax with some wine and cheese:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5cL-h3Pj1o"]YouTube- Kelly's Heroes Oddball Takes a Rest[/nomedia]

In other words: Wine.

Thought maybe since a side convo started to take off in the dinner thread, that perhaps it deserved it's own thread.

Maybe you're looking for a perfect pairing, or a really good cabernet, red or white with dinner, fridge or countertop, is expensive always better, etc, etc.

Now, MY question is: I'm looking for a good chocolate wine, any suggestions? I tried ChocoVine, but found it a bit too harsh for my liking. Kind of felt like I was drinking shots of chocolate flavored whiskey or something. LOL Something softer, smoother is what I'm looking for.

I don't think that price is all that matters. As long as you don't buy the cheapest bottles (like the ones that cost $2) you can find reasonably good wine.

I usually avoid Greek and Spanish wine because it's said that they are of a lower quality, and American/South American wine because they have to cross the ocean and I think it pollutes a lot for nothing.

That being said, I have found a cheap (3€, that's around $4 I think) chilean wine which is "fair-trade" labelled and that is very good.

My parents use to drink red californian wine but I forgot the name, I just know it's Cabernet.

I have somewhat specific tastes. I like Cabs, Shiraz and Merlot (Burgundy and Bordeaux) just fine. But my preference is for the Nebbiolo grape, specifically in Barolos and Barbarescos, although there are tasty Nebbiolos as well. It gets kinda pricey, but you can't beat the depth.

Brunello di Montalcino

Brunello di Montalcino is a red Italian wine produced in the vineyards surrounding the town of Montalcino located about 70 miles (110 km) southwest of Florence in the Tuscany wine region. Brunello, roughly translated as "nice dark one" in the local dialect, is the unofficial name of the clone of Sangiovese (also known as Sangiovese Grosso) grown in the Montalcino region. In 1980, the Brunello di Montalcino was awarded the first Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita (DOCG) designation and today is one of the Italy's best-known and most expensive wines.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunello_di_Montalcino]Brunello di Montalcino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Indeed expensive but less expensive than a good Bordeaux or Bourgogne and often superior in quality.

For whites I really like those argentinian chardonnays, especially those from the house of Salentein. Still affordable, I'm sure that will change in the future.
The best white I ever drank was an Italian chardonnay named Ca'Luna or summit (maybe I got the name wrong because I never found it again).

Brunello is a great wine.
There isn't anything like it. I think that's because of the grape they use, the sangiovese rosso. The best grapes are used for the Brunello's but some of the rosso's are also very good and a lot cheaper. I remember when you could buy a Brunello riserva for $25, now they start at $75. I wish I started drinking earlier...

There isn't anything like it. I think that's because of the grape they use, the sangiovese rosso. The best grapes are used for the Brunello's but some of the rosso's are also very good and a lot cheaper. I remember when you could buy a Brunello riserva for $25, now they start at $75. I wish I started drinking earlier...

That's the Barolo price range. You should try one...

I thought the octomom had another litter and those were their names in the title of this thread. :lol:

I'm not a wine drinker so much but my wife tells me what is good.:mrgreen:

I have somewhat specific tastes. I like Cabs, Shiraz and Merlot (Burgundy and Bordeaux) just fine. But my preference is for the Nebbiolo grape, specifically in Barolos and Barbarescos, although there are tasty Nebbiolos as well. It gets kinda pricey, but you can't beat the depth.

I agree on the Nebbiolo wines, they are fantastic, especially a good Borolo, and yes they are expensive, but for complexity, and big bold layered flavors, this grape is awesome. If you have the patience to cellar a bottle it ages beautifully as well.

I do have a penchant for big bold wines myself, and for that reason I have never really been a huge fan of Bordeaux, or bordeaux style blends, they are typically too structured, too balanced and too smooth for my palate, and I have tried a lot of wines, including the very very expensive first growths such as the Margeaux's.

There are some blends that I enjoy though, although they are not merlot/cab Bordeaux style blends typically.

A great label for some interesting blends is Ridge wines, they have a few such as the Lytton Springs, or the Geyserville that are really tasty, and not overly expensive, they are Zin heavy blends balanced with Petit Syrah and Carignane grapes.. good stuff!

Speaking of Zinfandels and Petit Syrahs, these grapes make some rather tasty, yet inexpensive varietals as well, Malbec is another yummy grape that produces interesting Varietals, but there is not a lot of market exposure for this grape.

I have never been a huge fan of whites, but on the subject of blends, Conundrum is extremely yummy, and has a fantastic complexity.. don't let the screw top fool you, this wine is exquisite.

And in the category of a wine maker who's product I really want to try, but have yet to have the opportunity to, we have Maynard from Tool, and the Caduceus label. He is producing some very unique blends in Arizona, and apparently they are very, very well received. Not only has he produced fantastic music, but now he is producing fantastic wines as well. The web site is cool too, it has a great diary of the whole process, and the development of his wines over the years, as well as great music in the background -its maynard, whaddya expect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom