• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

VFW slams Trump, Gold Star families demand apology

That's what a lot of people have said Trump is doing. And with each passing day Trump is behaving as someone who is doing precisely that.

Could be, but it could also simply be that he can't control himself, the Hillary campaign, the entire Democrat Party, and you and I know he can't control himself, so the Dems send out guys like Khan to poke and prod knowing he'll spend valuable time responding and look like an out of control schmuck again.
It's just hasn't been in his personality to let even the smallest offenses slide.
He should have surrogates handle that stuff while he stays above it and attacks Hillary.
Lord knows that's a deep well.

but I hope his brand is forevermore tarnished and ruined.

Quite contrary. He will produce another reality tv show where he will be brash, pompous, and popular. There is a huge population of US tv viewers who watch this crap every night as evident in the infinite number of Housewives of _________ shows.

Trump will not become president but he will not be absent from your tv screen.

Could be, but it could also simply be that he can't control himself, the Hillary campaign, the entire Democrat Party, and you and I know he can't control himself, so the Dems send out guys like Khan to poke and prod knowing he'll spend valuable time responding and look like an out of control schmuck again.
It's just hasn't been in his personality to let even the smallest offenses slide.
He should have surrogates handle that stuff while he stays above it and attacks Hillary.
Lord knows that's a deep well.

Bull****. The Khans' presence at the DNC made absolute perfect sense. I don't believe for a second the DNC sent them there as Trump bait. They have a profoundly impactful story to tell, a story that completely disavowed every ****ty argument that idiot Trump has made about Muslim Americans. Trump, being the miserable disgusting piece of **** that he is, couldn't control his biases for even a day.

That man makes me sick.

Bull****. The Khans' presence at the DNC made absolute perfect sense. I don't believe for a second the DNC sent them there as Trump bait. They have a profoundly impactful story to tell, a story that completely disavowed every ****ty argument that idiot Trump has made about Muslim Americans. Trump, being the miserable disgusting piece of **** that he is, couldn't control his biases for even a day.

That man makes me sick.

Aww, you're cute.

That man makes me sick.

I know Trump makes you sick.
He merely irritates me.
We know of one aspect of the Khan's story but I don't think we know enough about the Khan's entire story.
Not many news outlets have chosen to examine it.

What is Trump to do? Apologize for something he didn't do? Apologize for something possibly generated by the dirty political tricks department of the Hillary campaign?

Trump NEVER showed any disrespect to the son's military service. Trump reserves the right, rightfully so, to comment on the incorrect statement from Mr. Khan that Trump's ban on Muslims was 'unconstitutional. Two completely different subjects.

What incorrect statement? Trump's ban on Muslims would be unconstitutional.

I know Trump makes you sick.
He merely irritates me.
We know of one aspect of the Khan's story but I don't think we know enough about the Khan's entire story.
Not many news outlets have chosen to examine it.

Unless someone can show me that the Khans are not in fact Muslim Americans, and their son did not in fact serve in the US military, then their "entire story" isn't relevant. The point was being made at the DNC that not all Muslims are hell bent on killing Americans. Captain Khan was not the only Muslim to serve in the military. Trump has appealed to every lousy paranoid, bigoted, Muslim-hating yahoo in this country. And instead of acknowledging that, people are blaming the DNC for "baiting" him.

Pathetic.

Unless someone can show me that the Khans are not in fact Muslim Americans, and their son did not in fact serve in the US military, then their "entire story" isn't relevant. The point was being made at the DNC that not all Muslims are hell bent on killing Americans. Captain Khan was not the only Muslim to serve in the military. Trump has appealed to every lousy paranoid, bigoted, Muslim-hating yahoo in this country. And instead of acknowledging that, people are blaming the DNC for "baiting" him.

Pathetic.

Oh come on.
You hate Trump but you can't possibly think Khan's appearance at the convention wasn't a well played political attack that worked perfectly ... for a week and counting thanks to their opposition's reaction.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/bias-...rm-website-specialized-muslim-immigratio.html

Oh come on.
You hate Trump but you can't possibly think Khan's appearance at the convention wasn't a well played political attack that worked perfectly ... for a week and counting thanks to their opposition's reaction.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/bias-...rm-website-specialized-muslim-immigratio.html

Of course the Khan's appearance was a political tactic. Every speaker at both conventions are there for political tactic.

Trump's attack revealed he has the class of your typical reality tv star. Being typical Trump he first tried to divert by attacking the wife for not speaking.

Trump will not be our next president.

Hopefully they will let Gary Johnson in the debates.

Oh come on.

No, I don't "hate" Trump. I don't even know him. I also don't "hate" Hillary Clinton. I can't hate someone I don't know.

Of course the Khans' appearance at the convention was for political purposes. Isn't that just what I said? They were there to demonstrate something that contradicts the message that Donald Trump repeats over and over again. How many speakers are usually invited to speak at political conventions for non-political purposes?

And so what if Mr. Khan is a lawyer specializing in Muslim immigration? Did their son fight for this country - yes or no? Did they immigrate themselves to this country and raise a young man who was not an Islamic extremist - yes or no?

Pathetic.

The argument seems to be "It's unfair for them to tempt our insanely stupid and amoral candidate to act insanely stupidly in an amoral fashion."

Are you even a little bit surprised? I'm hearing that even his own kids are at the end of their ropes with him.

Donald Trump doesn't want to be President. He did this to increase his own brand and to get Hillary Clinton elected. He will manage to succeed at #2, but I hope his brand is forevermore tarnished and ruined. Nobody who has 4 working brain cells can look at what that man has done and said over the last year and support him, and not see what the man is up to. Even a sleaze like Manafort knows what's really going on here.

I just don't see how this helps his brand. Most his money comes from selling his name, not from actually building things. What companies of any significant size are going to want to license his name after all of this? I would think this is going to cost him more business than earn him.

Good to see a traditionally conservative group break free of the apparent moral vacuum that is the Trump campaign.

Trump claimed - of all things - that Khan did not even have the right to criticize him. Thereby ironically providing supporting evidence to Khan's implicit assertion that Trump isn't familiar with the Constitution.

Better men respond to criticism from Gold Star family members like this:

Part of my duty as the President is to meet with those who’ve lost a loved one. And so, you know, listen, I sympathize with Mrs. Sheehan. She feels strongly about her –about her position. And I am – she has every right in the world to say what she believes. This is America. She has a right to her position. And I’ve thought long and hard about her position. I’ve heard her position from others, which is, get out of Iraq now. And it would be – it would be a mistake for the security of this country and the ability to lay the foundations for peace in the long-run, if we were to do so.
-George W Bush​

Khan is the pot calling the kettle black! Khan isn't familiar with the Constitution either!
He and his wife - together on that DNC stage - had dished out vicious attacks on Trump! Trump has every right to answer back!

Trump is right!
People don't have the right to slander or defame anyone!
That's why we can sue for defamation of character or slander.

If you spread something that defames the character of a person, it better be true. It's kinda hard for Khan to prove that Trump had not sacrificed anything for this country, and we already know that Khan had taken Trump's Muslim policy out of context!

Furthermore....

There's nowhere in the Constitution that says Gold-Star families - which includes mothers - have a special status that makes them exempt from being criticized, let alone being responded to when they (this gold star couple), malign others.

Everyone has a right to express! That includes Trump!

Khan ought to read the Constitution again! He's the one who's looking to be ignorant about it.

They're obviously using and abusing the race card, and the Vets of Foreign Wars are falling for it!
Good grief! Get a grip.

Last edited:
Oh come on.

It proved without a shadow of a doubt that Trump doesn't possess the temperament to be presidential. His pettiness is omnipresent. The Kahns simply brought out the "wurst" in him. Pun intended.

He should apologize for his disgusting and disrespectful smears against Khan, thank him for his sons' service and sacrifice, and move on.

Yeah. That's not what he's done. Instead of disagreeing with Mr Khan, he's been personally attacking him.

What personal attack do you mean? Cite.

What personal attack do you mean? Cite.

1. Arguing that Kahn didn't have the right to criticize him
2. Suggesting that Mrs Kahn was forcibly kept silent (a stereotype of them based on their faith)
3. Suggesting that Kahn wasn't upset about the Muslim ban because of its' offensiveness, but rather that he was upset that he wouldn't be able to bring terrorists into America
4. Sending out his minions to argue that Kahn was a secret agent of the Muslim Brotherhood and/or connected to 9/11

When a Gold Star family criticizes you, if you want to be President, you respond that you honor their fallen servicemember, that you mourn their loss, and that you respectfully disagree. You don't respond by trying to impugn them or smear them. But, then, that's par for the course for The Donald.

When a Gold Star family criticizes you, if you want to be President, you respond that you honor their fallen servicemember, that you mourn their loss, and that you respectfully disagree. You don't respond by trying to impugn them or smear them. But, then, that's par for the course for The Donald.

What? Tact and diplomacy? Pfffft, whatever, Trump's got no time for that.

Khan is the pot calling the kettle black! Khan isn't familiar with the Constitution either!

I like the implicit admission in this that Trump is unfamiliar with the Constitution.

Hey, which one of the two claims that he should be President?

He and his wife - together on that DNC stage - had dished out vicious attacks on Trump!

Actually they were attacks on his policies of seeking to ban Muslims entry into the United States.

Trump has every right to answer back!

Sure he does. He is wrong when he claims that Kahn doesn't have the right to criticize him, but if Trump wants to light his campaign on fire by attacking regular folks, folks who represent what we claim the best of America is (immigrants who come here to build a new life in freedom. Courage and sacrifice for the greater good), then that's his call.

Trump is right!

No, Trump is incorrect.

People don't have the right to slander or defame anyone!

Goodness. I wonder how many people should be suing Trump then, from Trump's accusations against Ted Cruz's father, his comparing Ben Carson to a Child Molester.....

When you run for President, you and your policies are going to be criticized. Especially if they are occasionally as idiotic and abusive as Trump's sometimes are. Crying like a little baby every time someone criticizes you isn't just unbecoming, it's unPresidential and demonstrates unfitness for the office.

Everyone has a right to express! That includes Trump!

Khan ought to read the Constitution again! He's the one who's looking to be ignorant about it.

Unlike Trump, Kahn isn't claiming that the other doesn't have the right to speak their mind. :)

They're obviously using and abusing the race card, and the Vets of Foreign Wars are falling for it!
Good grief! Get a grip.

God this is moronic. Nowhere did they use the race card.

No. The VFW and the Gold Star Families are responding to the violation of something we hold sacrosanct, and a Presidential candidate targeting a Gold Star family for personal abuse.

There were - what - dozens of speakers at the DNC? Trump chose to go after them.

What? Tact and diplomacy? Pfffft, whatever, Trump's got no time for that.

I'm glad I'm not the adviser who has to inform President Trump that he can't- actually - sue the Iranians to make them do what he wants, and stop saying mean things about him.

1. Arguing that Kahn didn't have the right to criticize him
2. Suggesting that Mrs Kahn was forcibly kept silent (a stereotype of them based on their faith)

So what? Kahn is basically arguing the same: that Trump didn't have the right to respond to his (Kahn) attack!

3. Suggesting that Kahn wasn't upset about the Muslim ban because of its' offensiveness, but rather that he was upset that he wouldn't be able to bring terrorists into America

When your business involves providing visas to Muslims - and you're overly upset and goes on attack mode, over what is actually a practical suggestion regarding terrorism - it's only logical to assume that the basis is more for self-interest!

4. Sending out his minions to argue that Kahn was a secret agent of the Muslim Brotherhood and/or connected to 9/11

Where's the proof that Trump sent his minions to do that?
I could just as easily say the same for the Dems and Khan: that Khan is a minion of the Dems who was brought out to set this up, and the other minions are attacking Trump for responding to Khan.

It's a strategic set-up!
Just like when they asked Trump about the hypothetical nation where abortion is illegal, and if the woman who had abortion has to be punished - the whole question was a set up to get Trump to say something that the leftist media can use against him.
After that interview, all the youtube clips had edited the premise of the question: HYPOTHETICAL nation where ABORTION IS ILLEGAL!

He did honor the fallen son. He called him a hero.

Anyone who wants to be in politics are catering to senselessness! They pander just to be elected!
That's the major problem today!

That's what's different about Trump. His brutal frankness is what's set him apart from the rest. He has the right to express himself even though people do not agree with his method of expressing himself. Of course he's rocking the boat - and that's an understatement.

The Gold Star didn't just criticize him. They insulted him, and tried to smear his character!
Try to review what was said. From what I seen from some of your post you seem to be on the side of the Never Trump Republicans? Wouldn't you say that you could be perhaps biased against him in the first place?

It's the Khans who behaved inappropriately here, truth be told.
They don't know squat about Trump, for them to judge his character. They're not exempted in any way, nor do they have any entitlement to be able to smear someone's reputation without having that person respond back.

Now it seems we have a tiered system when it comes to priveleges. Gold Star families are above the rest?

Last edited:
I like the implicit admission in this that Trump is unfamiliar with the Constitution.

It wasn't an admission but rather putting up the mirror to Khan.....basing it on his own accusation. If he says Trump doesn't know the Constitution, well obviously Khan doesn't know it either. It's ironic, really.

Presidency is irrelevant.
Anyway, what kind of a President will we have who can't stand for himself and say what's what.....just because he doesn't want to stir up any reactions against him?
A president like that is not a presidential at all. He'd be a patsy!

Who wants a patsy for a President? You got one sitting for 8 years already!

Trump knows the Constitution fully well, that's why he said Khan DOES NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to say what he said about him. Khan's statements were defamatory.

We all have the right to express ourselves.....but we don't have the right to defame anyone.

Reading how many were sued by Trump......he's lucky Trump treated him quite gently, and hasn't threatened to sue him.

Last edited:
Goodness. I wonder how many people should be suing Trump then, from Trump's accusations against Ted Cruz's father, his comparing Ben Carson to a Child Molester.....

How come Ben Carson endorsed him?
Besides, comparison isn't defamatory. He didn't say Carson is a child molester.
That's the difference.

If they know there's no truth to what Trump had claimed, they SHOULD sue him!

Speaking the truth isn't defamatory.
If I put on facebook that you've ripped me off (and I can prove that you did).....that's not defamatory.

Unlike Trump, Kahn isn't claiming that the other doesn't have the right to speak their mind. :)

Trump said it rightly. The Khans didn't have the right to slander his reputation.

Yes, the Khans were complaining of Trump's response about the mother. All the minions had jumped up and are saying that Trump shouldn't have responded the way he did! Well....even you had said that.

He has the right to criticize or respond back....what more when the the Khans were the first ones to throw the insults and defamatory comment.

Notice that he posed his comment about the mother as a question.....or as musing....?
He knows the Constitution that's why he didn't come right out and say about Islamic men's treatment of their women (that's why mom was so silent). He knows he has no right to say anything slanderous.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom