• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Very interesting books.

SCitizen

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
In one alternative universe Scitizen was able to get Bachelors in
  1. Psychology
  2. Political Science
  3. Writing
and thus he was able to express his ideas much better, and write fiction and non -- fiction books.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make up at least part of opportunities I missed by 45 years of age?

1. Psychology
  2. Political Science
  3. Writing
and thus he was able to express his ideas much better, and write fiction and non -- fiction books.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make up at least part of opportunities I missed by 45 years of age?

Pick a program and go back to school. Why do you think you are too old to do that?

1. Psychology
  2. Political Science
  3. Writing

Until then, there's this:

Amazon: An Incomplete Education

Seriously, it's a pretty cool little book. I have the first edition, released in the eighties.

You won't learn to write from it. You won't learn in-depth theory, or obtain intuitive understanding of the subjects either.

But it has the things one would learn in a really broad & encompassing classical liberal arts undergrad degree, along with what one might need to be culturally aware - including current events. It's a nice refresher, and fills-in some of the holes in knowledge one might have missed earlier during H.S. & undergrad studies. But it just lightly touches on its subjects, with not much depth at all.

The other alternative is do some structured reading under the auspices of a "Great Books" program, which also provides a decent classical education - enough so, that some excellent schools like St. John's College and University of Chicago allow for getting degrees using the Great Books exclusively! I was in a "Junior Great Books" program while a kid in Grammar School, and it was excellent.

Of course you also just could do what everybody else does, and get your (traditional) degree! ;)

Last edited:
When I went back for my second degree I thought I might have trouble with grades because of all the young kids fresh minds.

I found that was a foolish idea. I romped stomped them grade-wise. Their study habits were non existent as was their note taking abilities.

So, if that is one issue keeping you from attending a class, I would not worry about it too much.

There really is no substitute for sitting in a classroom, even though it is a bit more expensive in gas.

A community college is actually cheaper than most of those on-line universities. That is the best way to deal with the first two years.

As soon as I get to the library I am getting this book -- thanks.
No problem.

Glance through it & see if it appeals to you; I find it interesting, and two women I know really like it.

Let us know what you think! :thumbs:

There really is no substitute for sitting in a classroom, even though it is a bit more expensive in gas.

A community college is actually cheaper than most of those on-line universities. That is the best way to deal with the first two years.

I will consult with college financial advisers.

I will consult with college financial advisers.

Most community college expenses are covered with a PELL Grant only, the kind you do not have to pay back.

Some are that cheap.

You will also be surprised at the amount of scholarships that are left on the table and never picked up. There are scholarships for all kinds of things.

Back
Top Bottom