• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Vermont, Southern fried chicken...

woodsman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This sure isn’t a recipe to make if you're counting calories but Its darn good fried chicken.

Firstly, using lard/shortening is required , secondly buttermilk is also required., substituting will not make real southern fried chicken.

Step one: soak cutup chicken in buttermilk for a few hours. (note) season chicken liberally with salt and pepper and let sit before the buttermilk bath.

Step two: season your flour, salt. pepper, onion, garlic or anything and everything in the seasoning pantry, (within reason) this is how the Colonel from KFC came up the 17 herds and spices.

Pan: It must be a well seasoned cast-iron fryer, and you can’t crowd the pieces while frying, two batches for one chicken. While the second batch cooks you can then decide to keep it southern or move north. If going north heat your oven to 450d and set up a baking sheet with rack. Once the chicken is done brush with a high quality maple syrup ( non of that fake stuff) and place in the hot oven for a few minutes, the syrup will caramelize, It keeps the crunchy coating intact but adds a nice dimension.

Step two: season your flour, salt. pepper, onion, garlic or anything and everything in the seasoning pantry, (within reason) this is how the Colonel from KFC came up the 17 herds and spices.

Sounds good but everything in the pantry? I got tons of peppers and stuff for curry- I dont think that would work out like Southern style. :2razz:

Also buttermilk would be a problem where I am...

So....my parents grew up in South and North Carolina. My grandparents were from South Carolina and lived their whole life there.

I never heard of putting maple syrup on Fried Chicken.

I'm not so sure that's "traditional southern fried chicken". Is it?

So....my parents grew up in South and North Carolina. My grandparents were from South Carolina and lived their whole life there.

Well, no It’s not traditional once you brush on the syrup, but It is a fun twist on fried chicken you should try it. As I’m sure you know Vermont , New Hampshire and parts of Canada have very high quality maple syrup. The sugar maple trees go all the way to the Midwest but they really don’t know their syrup. This amber gold is used in all sorts of unusual ways even in beer. I receive one gallon free per year for letting a local producer tap my trees.

Sounds good but everything in the pantry? I got tons of peppers and stuff for curry- I dont think that would work out like Southern style. :2razz:

That’s why I added the term “within reason” I sometimes substitute heavy cream for the buttermilk. The important ingredient is the (real) syrup, not sure you can get that in OZ.

Well, no It’s not traditional once you brush on the syrup, but It is a fun twist on fried chicken you should try it. As I’m sure you know Vermont , New Hampshire and parts of Canada have very high quality maple syrup. The sugar maple trees go all the way to the Midwest but they really don’t know their syrup. This amber gold is used in all sorts of unusual ways even in beer. I receive one gallon free per year for letting a local producer tap my trees.

Hey now, this Funks Grove Pure Maple Sirup is made in Illinois.

Hey now, this Funks Grove Pure Maple Sirup is made in Illinois.

Flatlander syrup doesn’t count, every knows that. If you don’t walk uphill (both ways) to tap the trees the quality is junk. We here in New Hampshire don’t have dedicated maple tree farms we go old school, actually walk thru the woods to find a stand of trees.

Flatlander syrup doesn’t count, every knows that. If you don’t walk uphill (both ways) to tap the trees the quality is junk. We here in New Hampshire don’t have dedicated maple tree farms we go old school, actually walk thru the woods to find a stand of trees.

You have to walk through the woods to get to the trees, there just aren't any hills, except Southern Illinois. The maple syrup thing is a big tradition, I remember going to New Salem for a field trip as a kid.

That’s why I added the term “within reason” I sometimes substitute heavy cream for the buttermilk. The important ingredient is the (real) syrup, not sure you can get that in OZ.

The idea of putting maple syrup on fried chicken is so foreign to me it's just crazy.

I was told once that peanut butter on ham was delicious. I tried that. It wasn't gross, but it felt so wrong.

The idea of putting maple syrup on fried chicken is so foreign to me it's just crazy.

I was told once that peanut butter on ham was delicious. I tried that. It wasn't gross, but it felt so wrong.

I don’t think a glaze on fried chicken is that odd, many Japanese and other Asian fried meats do the same thing. I make a fried Panko crusted pork chop and then brush with a soy sauce and ginger reduction and put that back in a very hot oven to caramelize.

For me It’s about layering flavor without having one overpowering the other.

I don’t think a glaze on fried chicken is that odd, many Japanese and other Asian fried meats do the same thing. I make a fried Panko crusted pork chop and then brush with a soy sauce and ginger reduction and put that back in a very hot oven to caramelize.

For me It’s about layering flavor without having one overpowering the other.

I love General Tso's chicken so yeah...I'd probably like it a lot.

general tso's chicken is a dish dreamed up to feed dumbed down american palettes chicken mcnuggets.

"General Tso's chicken is a sweet, slightly spicy, deep-fried chicken dish that is served in Chinese themed American restaurants. The dish is named after Tso Tsung-t'ang, a Qing dynasty statesman and military leader, although there is no recorded connection to him nor is the dish known in Hunan, Tso's home province."

This sure isn’t a recipe to make if you're counting calories but Its darn good fried chicken.

Firstly, using lard/shortening is required , secondly buttermilk is also required., substituting will not make real southern fried chicken.

Step one: soak cutup chicken in buttermilk for a few hours. (note) season chicken liberally with salt and pepper and let sit before the buttermilk bath.

Pan: It must be a well seasoned cast-iron fryer, and you can’t crowd the pieces while frying, two batches for one chicken. While the second batch cooks you can then decide to keep it southern or move north. If going north heat your oven to 450d and set up a baking sheet with rack. Once the chicken is done brush with a high quality maple syrup ( non of that fake stuff) and place in the hot oven for a few minutes, the syrup will caramelize, It keeps the crunchy coating intact but adds a nice dimension.

I really love Southern food (and the region). I could definitely go for some fried whole okra, collard greens, biscuits, mac and cheese, shrimp and grits, and, sure, yeah, some friend chicken. Damn, all that stuff is so good.

I really love Southern food (and the region). I could definitely go for some fried whole okra, collard greens, biscuits, mac and cheese, shrimp and grits, and, sure, yeah, some friend chicken. Damn, all that stuff is so good.

Grits!!! Yes!!!

And hushpuppies!!!!

Grits!!! Yes!!!

And hushpuppies!!!!

I always hated hush puppies until I had them in the South. I'd still take corn bread or hoe cakes over hush puppies, but they're damn good in BBQ sauce.

You could brush on real Cane Syrup and it would be southern for sure.

I always hated hush puppies until I had them in the South. I'd still take corn bread or hoe cakes over hush puppies, but they're damn good in BBQ sauce.

Love me some hush puppies. Good with fish for sure.

Only place I've ever had hush puppies was in South Carolina & North Carolina. The best ones I ever had was decades ago in Myrtle Beach at a place called "The Sea Captain's House".

Only place I've ever had hush puppies was in South Carolina & North Carolina. The best ones I ever had was decades ago in Myrtle Beach at a place called "The Sea Captain's House".

Yeah, where I found the only hush puppies I liked was in the Carolinas. I do love visiting there every few years.

I believe you can create your own buttermilk, easy to do. Perhaps someone more able in the kitchen than I could advise.

I have an aunt who puts little chunks of jalapeño in them. SOO good.

Back
Top Bottom