• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Venezuela Liquidates All US Assets

Kelzie said:
[mod mode]

Let's keep it civil in here people.

Thanks.

[/mod mode]

Kelzie, only toying with him. Teachers do that with their students. :lol:

Kelzie said:
A.) We didn't get much of our oil from Iraq in the first place. We do get a lot of our oil from Venezuela.

B.) There will be plenty of coutries willing to buy oil from Venezuela if we don't. China will be first in line.

And what does this have to do with anything?

A.) As I said, his country would fall flat if we didn't buy their oil, so this is really a non-issue.

B.) Of course other countries will buy their oil, but not more then they need. If we didn't buy their oil, it would hurt them, not us, why do you think he hasn't cut us off? I mean if we are trying to kill him, and make war with him, why is he putting the oil in our imperialistic machine? you have no idea what you're talking about, you just like to annoy me for some reason?:roll:

wxcrazytwo said:
Kelzie, only toying with him. Teachers do that with their students. :lol:

So teach me something. C'mon, let's see your evidence of the coming doom of America! I'm sure I can learn a lot from it.

Tell me, do you always ask your debate opponents to find your evidence for you? Seems like a very odd tactic to me.

Deegan said:
And what does this have to do with anything?

A.) As I said, his country would fall flat if we didn't buy their oil, so this is really a non-issue.

B.) Of course other countries will buy their oil, but not more then they need. If we didn't buy their oil, it would hurt them, not us, why do you think he hasn't cut us off? I mean if we are trying to kill him, and make war with him, why is he putting the oil in our imperialistic machine? you have no idea what you're talking about, you just like to annoy me for some reason?:roll:

You started it. Don't ask me.

And I know plenty about what I'm talking about, especially when it comes to oil. An oil surplus would never exist in today's economy. China, all by itself, could, and would buy all of Venezuela's oil if the opportunity ever presented itself. Why do you think Bush has never given Chavez the finger for all the stunts he's pulled. We need his oil. But he doesn't need us to buy it.

And you thinking that I post just to annoy you, while cute in it's narcissism, is just a tad arrogant.

Kelzie said:
You started it. Don't ask me.

And I know plenty about what I'm talking about, especially when it comes to oil. An oil surplus would never exist in today's economy. China, all by itself, could, and would buy all of Venezuela's oil if the opportunity ever presented itself. Why do you think Bush has never given Chavez the finger for all the stunts he's pulled. We need his oil. But he doesn't need us to buy it.

And you thinking that I post just to annoy you, while cute in it's narcissism, is just a tad arrogant.

Yes, if we didn't buy his oil he'd have no where else to turn, other countries don't use oil. And we're doing great economically, that's why we keep borrowing money from other countries...because we're so rich.

And...I thought you only posted on here to impress me?

Pacridge said:
Yes, if we didn't buy his oil he'd have no where else to turn, other countries don't use oil. And we're doing great economically, that's why we keep borrowing money from other countries...because we're so rich.

And...I thought you only posted on here to impress me?

Geez, I didn't know I was being so obvious about it. :mrgreen:

Kelzie said:
A.) We didn't get much of our oil from Iraq in the first place. We do get a lot of our oil from Venezuela.

B.) There will be plenty of coutries willing to buy oil from Venezuela if we don't. China will be first in line.

Their is a history of why we get alot of our oil from Venezuela. During the 1970s, the Arabs imposed an oil embargo that had crippling effects on our economy. The BBC has reported extensively on recently recovered government documents that show how the US was planning to invade several Arab countries at one time to take the oil that we were being embargoed by the Arabs from having during this crisis. The plans called for a US military invasion of Saudia Arabia, Quatar, Kuwait and several other Middle East nations with the objective of seizing the oil fields. One of the concerns in the military and political plans was an outcry and lack of support from the American public. However, despite this strong possibility, it seems the US was on the verge of carrying out such plans for the military invasion of seizure of Arab oil fields. The reason that the Arabs put on embargo on the US during this period in the 1970s, was due to American support for Israel. According to these documents, what stopped the US from invading these Arab countries to take the oil by force, was Venezuela's willingness and decision to sell us oil. It was this decision, that prevented a 1970s invasion of several Arab countries by the US military. If Venezuela decided not to sell us oil, then, I think our history textbooks would describe a period where the US launched an invasion of several Arab countries.

And due to Venezuala selling the US oil, it factored into the Arab decision to call off their failed oil embargo.

Hmm.

if we owned oil fields in the mid east, who knows, maybe the world wouldn't have Osama..and talk about a shift in the cold war.

TimmyBoy said:
Their is a history of why we get alot of our oil from Venezuela. During the 1970s, the Arabs imposed an oil embargo that had crippling effects on our economy. The BBC has reported extensively on recently recovered government documents that show how the US was planning to invade several Arab countries at one time to take the oil that we were being embargoed by the Arabs from having during this crisis. The plans called for a US military invasion of Saudia Arabia, Quatar, Kuwait and several other Middle East nations with the objective of seizing the oil fields. One of the concerns in the military and political plans was an outcry and lack of support from the American public. However, despite this strong possibility, it seems the US was on the verge of carrying out such plans for the military invasion of seizure of Arab oil fields. The reason that the Arabs put on embargo on the US during this period in the 1970s, was due to American support for Israel. According to these documents, what stopped the US from invading these Arab countries to take the oil by force, was Venezuela's willingness and decision to sell us oil. It was this decision, that prevented a 1970s invasion of several Arab countries by the US military. If Venezuela decided not to sell us oil, then, I think our history textbooks would describe a period where the US launched an invasion of several Arab countries.

None of which has anything to do with them selling us oil right now.

Kelzie said:
None of which has anything to do with them selling us oil right now.

I would have to disagree to certain extent. Our history with Venezuela does play a role in our relationship with them today. Now, for me to say with 100% certainty that we try to maintain good relations with Venezuela strictly due to oil interests, I cannot say. But I have heard rumors that the US was planning to invade Venezuela due to souring relations with Hugo Chavez. I don't know if it is true or not, because I generally, like to have evidence to back up such claims and I haven't seen any evidence. But I do know, that it's quite easy for the government to lie or use false pretexts to cover their true intentions. But I would still like to see hard evidence. Their is hard evidence of US plans to seize Arab oil fields in the 70s.

TimmyBoy said:
I would have to disagree to certain extent. Our history with Venezuela does play a role in our relationship with them today. Now, for me to say with 100% certainty that we try to maintain good relations with Venezuela strictly due to oil interests, I cannot say. But I have heard rumors that the US was planning to invade Venezuela due to souring relations with Hugo Chavez. I don't know if it is true or not, because I generally, like to have evidence to back up such claims and I haven't seen any evidence.

There was a coup in Venezuela in 2003, and Hugo Chavez was actually deposed for a couple of days. Condoleezza Rice said something along the lines of "Hugo Chavez has no one to blame but himself for this coup."

While I wouldn't take that evidence to court, I'd say there's a pretty strong possibility that the CIA was involved in the coup against Chavez. And I'm not one who is prone to conspiracy theories.

Kandahar said:
There was a coup in Venezuela in 2003, and Hugo Chavez was actually deposed for a couple of days. Condoleezza Rice said something along the lines of "Hugo Chavez has no one to blame but himself for this coup."

While I wouldn't take that evidence to court, I'd say there's a pretty strong possibility that the CIA was involved in the coup against Chavez. And I'm not one who is prone to conspiracy theories.

It's probably true. Hugo Chavez was probably percieved as a threat to US oil interests in Venezuela by Washington, so, the White House could have very well been behind the coup attempt.

TimmyBoy said:
I would have to disagree to certain extent. Our history with Venezuela does play a role in our relationship with them today. Now, for me to say with 100% certainty that we try to maintain good relations with Venezuela strictly due to oil interests, I cannot say. But I have heard rumors that the US was planning to invade Venezuela due to souring relations with Hugo Chavez. I don't know if it is true or not, because I generally, like to have evidence to back up such claims and I haven't seen any evidence. But I do know, that it's quite easy for the government to lie or use false pretexts to cover their true intentions. But I would still like to see hard evidence. Their is hard evidence of US plans to seize Arab oil fields in the 70s.

And what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? The fact that we turned to Venezuelan oil to end the oil embargo really doesn't have much bearing on why Chavez has to continue to sell oil to us. Or doesn't have to, as the case were.

In todays world, anyone sitting on oil reserves don't have to worry about empty berths in their port. ;)

Kelzie said:
And what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? The fact that we turned to Venezuelan oil to end the oil embargo really doesn't have much bearing on why Chavez has to continue to sell oil to us. Or doesn't have to, as the case were.

So, when you examine all the dictatorships in the world, some being worse than Saddam, this doesn't make you scratch your head and think, "Hmmm, if our invasion of Iraq is about freedom and democracy, then why didn't we invade these other countries first, some of whom have far tyrannical dictatorships than that of Saddam Hussien?"

Kelzie said:

Smart Lady ,she knows!

China is emerging as an oil using nation, second only to the USA.
America needed to secure its oil ,for the future ,before China gets to big.

and is why they are now in Iraq and wont hand over IRAq to the Un peace keeps

oil for us troop's lives.
the blood they spill is to secure America's future oil supplies!

America doesnt care if Iraq is free ,or not free ,never did ,never will.
Bush senior slept with sadam.
gave him golden spurs ,and sadam was tight with the Us. at the hieght of his transgressions

American religeous leaders call for assination of Chavez
thats some religion they got going on down there

Last edited:
Canuck said:
Smart Lady ,she knows!

China is emerging as an oil using nation, second only to the USA.
America needed to secure its oil ,for the future ,before China gets to big.

and is why they are now in Iraq and wont hand over IRAq to the Un peace keeps

oil for us troop's lives.
the blood they spill is to secure America's future oil supplies!

America doesnt care if Iraq is free ,or not free ,never did ,never will.
Bush senior slept with sadam.
gave him golden spurs ,and sadam was tight with the Us. at the hieght of his transgressions

American religeous leaders call for assination of Chavez
thats some religion they got going on down there

If one proposes the theory that the US gets involved in other countries to bring freedom and democracy, then it would seem US policy is inconsistent. But if one proposes the theory that the US gets involved in other countries based on oil interests or other interests, then US policy appears very consistent based on the facts that we know right now.

TimmyBoy said:
So, when you examine all the dictatorships in the world, some being worse than Saddam, this doesn't make you scratch your head and think, "Hmmm, if our invasion of Iraq is about freedom and democracy, then why didn't we invade these other countries first, some of whom have far tyrannical dictatorships than that of Saddam Hussien?"

I completely agree. I have a friend who lived in Saddam's Iraq. Called him a benevolent dictator. We should have invaded Saudi Arabia.

Kelzie said:
I completely agree. I have a friend who lived in Saddam's Iraq. Called him a benevolent dictator. We should have invaded Saudi Arabia.

So, would these facts come to make you wonder if our invasion of Iraq was motivated by oil? If it is not motivated by oil interests, then, in your view, what is our motivation for invading and toppling Saddam?

TimmyBoy said:
So, would these facts come to make you wonder if our invasion of Iraq was motivated by oil? If it is not motivated by oil interests, then, in your view, what is our motivation for invading and toppling Saddam?

I don't entirely view it as oil...the fact is that we still don't get most of our oil from Iraq. It's possible that in the future it will be revealed that was the reason, but until that point comes, I won't say that for sure.

I think it had more to do with establishing American bases in the middle of the ME, to be able to keep an eye on other countries, especially Iran.

Back
Top Bottom