• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Vegetarianism/Veganism

mikhail said:
Its amazing vegetarians pouring out this bullshit about health calcium blah blah .

humans are naturally herbivores- Well i think i got more of an instinct to eat bacon than cress "i wuv the animals" who cares.

People ween themselves into vegetarianism they all have to attack people who eat meat because they want it themselves too much.

Its easy when food is plentiful to be vegetarian but cant you see humans are neither go have a nice juicy steak and sign back up to the man club.

Did you just close your eyes and pound on the keyboard?

Try living off of just meat. We'll see how long you last. Actually, since you have such an "instict" to eat meat, why don't you chase down a dear, rip it's throat out with your teeth, shred it's hide with your claws, and eat it's flesh still raw. Oh that's right. YOU CAN'T! Instict my *ss

I don't want to eat meat. Ever. And I didn't wean myself on. I went cold turkey.

Are you saying humans aren't plentiful? I don't get it.

.dum.spiro. said:
i'm a vegetarian, and i definitely have my beliefs for the decision.

PETA...too far. it's one thing to make those choices yourself,
but displaying theatrical slaughters and rallying restaurants...
too far. it's obnoxious.

veganism...i won't ever go that far.
cows have adapted [through evolution] to produce milk more than
they used to. it became a necessity--the calves are not starving--
and the heffer would die if the milk was not extracted.

...same as chickens. they've adapted to mass-producing eggs.
it's become a natural habit. [albeit these are human faults...they now
exist...and if a vegan really wants to help save some chickens,
start a chicken farm yourself and train them the ways you want.]

i'll never give up eggs either--i'm pro-choice.

those are my opinions... just thought i'd practice my 1st amendment.

Congratulations for being vegetarian!!

I would agree that PETA is too far, but not for the same reasons. They can practice their first amendment all they want, but sometimes they get carried away and end up assaulting people. I feel that people are animals too, and assault is not ethical treatment of them. Rallying restaurants seems perfectly fine.

About your statements on both milk and chickens - I'd have to agree with Kelzie. And you never know... you may become vegan one of these days. It seems too early to write it off completely.

On another note - glad you're pro-choice!

mikhail said:
Its amazing vegetarians pouring out this bullshit about health calcium blah blah .

humans are naturally herbivores- Well i think i got more of an instinct to eat bacon than cress "i wuv the animals" who cares.

People ween themselves into vegetarianism they all have to attack people who eat meat because they want it themselves too much.

Its easy when food is plentiful to be vegetarian but cant you see humans are neither go have a nice juicy steak and sign back up to the man club.

What???

It's amazing that our lifestyle choices disturb you so much. I haven't heard anyone on here attack anyone else for not being vegetarian. And we go vegetarian because we WANT TO - therefore we do not desire meat. At all.

And by the way, there's more reasons than the ones that fall under your "i wuv the animals" category on why people here went vegetarian. Did you read any of the other posts? Sounds like you're bitter. And over vegetarianism. Why? And what does your last statement mean?

Oh - and I didn't wean myself into being vegetarian either.

Did you just close your eyes and pound on the keyboard?
:lamo

sorry; that was quite amusing.

People [wean] themselves into vegetarianism. [Then] attack people who eat meat because they want it [too much themselves].

[there--that's better.]

and, no, i have never "attacked" someone--especially over meat.
...i thought it was clear i'm a vegetarian...

when someone decides to mock me about what i'm eating [or not eating, rather],
then, yeah, i'll try to humorously guilt them.
but, i respect other people's choices in hopes that they respect mine.

i've thought about becoming vegan.
but, as for now, i'll stick to vegetarianism.

i live with my parents, and they find it a pain enough
to deal with this lifestyle choice--though they insist on calling it a "diet"--
[which it is...it's just permanent.]
so, when i move out, i'll probably become vegan.

i just have a firm belief that animals have souls.
...that, and, to quote conor oberst:

"chewing on flesh is just bad for your psyche."

mikhail said:
I have several friends who are vegitarians or vegans, and I have never been attacked by them, even while chowing down on hamburgers. The only time they've brought it up is when I asked them why I had never seen them eating any meat. What a broad, baseless accusation.

Enjoying all the discussion...I'm still becoming more vegetarian each day, more for moral reasons...the health issues are just an added bonus.

My friend, who originally said that 'the animal kingdom is made up of both plant and meat eaters, so why should humans be any different,' added this the other day...

The human race has teeth called incisors and canines. These are the pointed teeth designed for holding, ripping and tearing flesh. These teeth are found in the animal kingdom in meat eaters, but not in plant eaters...therefore, the human race are meat eaters!?

(Not sure if this is true or not...perhaps some plant eaters also have incisors, but I thought I'd pass it along)

As far as milk, I can't tolerate it the way I once did...even the 2% is not the best for me. I haven't tried soy milk yet....Is soy milk good on a bowl of Cocoa Krispies? LOL! ( I'm serious....late night cereal would be hard to give up)

Hoot said:
Enjoying all the discussion...I'm still becoming more vegetarian each day, more for moral reasons...the health issues are just an added bonus.

My friend, who originally said that 'the animal kingdom is made up of both plant and meat eaters, so why should humans be any different,' added this the other day...

The human race has teeth called incisors and canines. These are the pointed teeth designed for holding, ripping and tearing flesh. These teeth are found in the animal kingdom in meat eaters, but not in plant eaters...therefore, the human race are meat eaters!?

(Not sure if this is true or not...perhaps some plant eaters also have incisors, but I thought I'd pass it along)

As far as milk, I can't tolerate it the way I once did...even the 2% is not the best for me. I haven't tried soy milk yet....Is soy milk good on a bowl of Cocoa Krispies? LOL! ( I'm serious....late night cereal would be hard to give up)

Actually, gerbils have incisors and canines too. And our canines are not now, nor have they ever been, sharp, or big enough, to tear through flesh. Seriously, though no one would ever try it, get a side of raw beef (skin on), and try to tear through it with your teeth. It's impossible. Humans most likely weren't able to eat meat in any significant quantity until we discovered fire (which breaks down the protein strands).

And soy milk takes...some getting used to. Honestly, some people love it, some hate it, but it's important to realize that it is NOT milk. Almond milk is a little more mild. I actually use vanilla soy milk on my cereal, and for just about everything else. Tastes very good!

there is also chocolate soy milk! [which is quite tasty, if i do say so myself.]

Actually, gerbils have incisors and canines too. And our canines are not now, nor have they ever been, sharp, or big enough, to tear through flesh. Seriously, though no one would ever try it, get a side of raw beef (skin on), and try to tear through it with your teeth. It's impossible. Humans most likely weren't able to eat meat in any significant quantity until we discovered fire (which breaks down the protein strands).

Kelzie, you are very much correct!
...i believe that if we were truly meant to be carnivorous, then we should be able to, for example, chase down a cow and eat it raw.

[i don't recall any archaeologists insisting that a Tyranasaurus Rex first captured a Galamymus, then took it back to its nest to give it a good roasting.]

.dum.spiro. said:
...i believe that if we were truly meant to be carnivorous, then we should be able to, for example, chase down a cow and eat it raw.

Because cows are so fast...

Kelzie said:
Actually, gerbils have incisors and canines too. And our canines are not now, nor have they ever been, sharp, or big enough, to tear through flesh. Seriously, though no one would ever try it, get a side of raw beef (skin on), and try to tear through it with your teeth. It's impossible.

Did you do that experimenting in your own lab? Were you wearing a lab coat?

.dum.spiro. said:

I believe if other animals had the ability humans have, they'd all buy grills, start up the propane, and slather the prime rib with some A-1 steak sauce...

Not ketchup...that would be inhumane...

Originally Posted by .dum.spiro.

Because cows are so fast...

i was emphasizing more on the point of eating them raw...
i added in the "chase down" to show that i didn't expect a cow to show up on/be sent to your door step for you to dig your teeth into it.

thanks.

soy milk is green, milk is white. i rest my case. :spin:

and meat is good. mmmm. but i dont argue with vegetarians. i dont know what im talking about. i should stick with sports bye. :2wave:

Last edited:
soy milk is green, milk is white. i rest my case. :spin:

...what is your point, dear?

soy milk tastes good.
...and it's good for you.

[good for you.
good for you.
good for you.] < --- haha. there, gandhi>bush.

i dont eat anything thats green unless its a vegetable. i tried green jello and i had no idea what it was. after that anything thats green i dont eat.

and people can eat raw meat. maybe not right off the cow. but straight from the grocery store. not that ive ive dont it.but would you rather eat something that is raw or something hot and tasty. ohh ill be right back i need to go start up the bbq and make some ribs.

but would you rather eat something that is raw or something hot and tasty.

i rather eat soap "slather[ed]" in bleach; thanks.

.dum.spiro. said:
i rather eat soap "slather[ed]" in bleach; thanks.

im sorry dum.spiro. but thats kinda weird. and i have a question for you. if every animal was put on earth for a purpose then whats the purpose of the pig(even though i dont eat pig), or a cow. we're supposed to eat them...dear.

Kelzie said:

And soy milk takes...some getting used to. Honestly, some people love it, some hate it, but it's important to realize that it is NOT milk. Almond milk is a little more mild. I actually use vanilla soy milk on my cereal, and for just about everything else. Tastes very good!

Not to argue, but Hamsters, and most likely Gerbils, do eat meat. I just looked it up in my set of encyclopedias....(ya know...those books we used before the internet..LOL.) Who really knows what's in those little pellets pet owners feed them!? I've never had a hamster, but I've heard stories of how they will eat their young.

Thanks for the suggestion of the vanilla soy milk...I'll give it a try.

P.S. It better be good! Haha!

Seriously, the expiration date on soy milk is probably much longer then regular milk, so that could be an added bonus, as I usually never finish a container of regular milk before I have to throw it out.

gfytt689 said:
i dont eat anything thats green unless its a vegetable. i tried green jello and i had no idea what it was. after that anything thats green i dont eat.

Umm... where does soy come from?

i was emphasizing more on the point of eating them raw...
i added in the "chase down" to show that i didn't expect a cow to show up on/be sent to your door step for you to dig your teeth into it.

thanks.

Why would I want to eat them raw? That wouldn't taste very good at all. Don't get me wrong, I like a medium rare steak when I can get it, but straight off the cow's ass? No thank you.

Unsanitary.

At some point in human history, a very wise man saw a cow and said, "I got an idea: I'm gonna kill it, and eat the meat on it's ass." He then decided he didn't like it cold so he lit the ass meat on fire. A week later we had A1. Historical fact. If you ask for a source, I'll crap myself.

Gandhi>Bush said:
One of my best friends is a vegetarian. One of my favorite historical figures is too :lol:. But I, myself, believe in the food chain. It's a good system, it's been working great for awhile now. I think it's cool.

lol that's funny but he was a vegetarian because of his religion and it's classes may I ad. :roll:

What did ya ll have for dinner carrots ahahhahahaha come on just admit your an animal meat is murder and murder taste pretty good don't it?

lol your funny really. :roll: We're omnivores if you didn't know. We eat both so we need both kinds of things. Why do you think that guy that only ate carrots turned green? And that our ancestors ate meat, when all other animals stuck to their meat or vege diet, except omnivores.

Kelzie said:
Hooray! A debate. Ahem. As to the "food chain" belief, aka humans are meant to eat meat:

Meat-eaters: have claws
Herbivores: no claws
Humans: no claws

We do have nails which can grow to great lengths. We have evolved into not needing them to be so long and sharp. We were also given the thought process to create things like forks and knives as well as bows and I guess knives again.

Meat-eaters: have no skin pores and perspire through the tongue
Herbivores: perspire through skin pores
Humans: perspire through skin pores

As I said before we are omnivores and we have evolved. Who says we might not have once perspired through our tounges but evolved into not needing them or because it is easier.

Meat-eaters: have sharp front teeth for tearing, with no flat molar teeth for grinding
Herbivores: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding
Humans: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding

We do have canine teeth and as I said we are omnivores. We have canine teeth and flat molars.

Meat-eaters: have intestinal tract that is only 3 times their body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through quickly
Herbivores: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.
Humans: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

We are omnivores. We have evolved so we can not eat raw meet who says we did not evolve to a longer intestinal tract. Just like how we cannot drink water right from a lake stream or river.

Meat-eaters: have strong hydrochloric acid in stomach to digest meat
Herbivores: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater
Humans: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater

Who says we did not evolve to less intense scid because we evolved into not being able to eat raw meat.

Meat-eaters: salivary glands in mouth not needed to pre-digest grains and fruits.
Herbivores: well-developed salivary glands which are necessary to pre-digest grains and fruits
Humans: well-developed salivary glands, which are necessary to pre-digest, grains and fruits.

We are omnivores. Hello we are supposed to eat fruits and vege's too.

Meat-eaters: have acid saliva with no enzyme ptyalin to pre-digest grains
Herbivores: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains
Humans: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains.

Just read above it's the same thing. :roll:

mikhail said:
What did ya ll have for dinner carrots ahahhahahaha come on just admit your an animal meat is murder and murder taste pretty good don't it?

Ahm. The definition of murder is: "The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice"

So there you have it we kill living plants don't we both are not very intelligent thoguh I do no think killing smarter animals or endangered ones is apropriate

i have a question. why are we argueing about meat. i dont care if people eat meat and vegetarians shouldnt care if i eat meat. i think im the only person in PETA that eats meat. but i have vegetarian freinds and sometimes they try to get me to be one and honestly, im not ganna stop eating meat. and im not convincing any vegetarians to start cause honestly the vegetarians have better reasons to not eat meat. so unless im spoken to directly im not ganna reply any here any more and im ganna stick with sports. bye :mrgreen:

Agghh! So many new posts to respond to...

Gandhi>Bush said:
Did you do that experimenting in your own lab? Were you wearing a lab coat?

I was actually quite the fan of eating raw meat at one time. Beef carppacio and all that. It's cut really thin for a reason. And it's still really hard to chew. Therefore, I can draw the logical conclusion that since raw meat 1/8 of an inch thick is hard to chew, 6 inches of it would be almost impossible. No lab coat necessary. ;)

gfytt689 said:
soy milk is green, milk is white. i rest my case.

Spoken by someone who has obviously never seen soy milk.

gfytt689 said:
im sorry dum.spiro. but thats kinda weird. and i have a question for you. if every animal was put on earth for a purpose then whats the purpose of the pig(even though i dont eat pig), or a cow. we're supposed to eat them...dear.

Maybe for carnivores to eat? Aka, not us. And FYI, the cows, pigs, and chickens you see in a farm were never put on this earth. They were created by humans. They are so far removed from their species in the wild that they couldn't survive on their own.

Hoot said:
Not to argue, but Hamsters, and most likely Gerbils, do eat meat. I just looked it up in my set of encyclopedias....(ya know...those books we used before the internet..LOL.) Who really knows what's in those little pellets pet owners feed them!? I've never had a hamster, but I've heard stories of how they will eat their young.

Tons of animals eat their young. It usually implies either a nutritional deficincy (natures way of making sure only the animals that the earth can support are kept allive) or because the animal was too young to have a litter. Not all of them are carnivores. Gerbils were just an example of sharp-toothed creatures that don't need to eat meat. Ever seen a horses teeth? Sharp as hell. Not for tearing flesh though. A little excerpt from a horse-lovers web site:

"Male horses usually have four canine teeth, one in each bar--the toothless span between the incisors and premolars--and some mares also produce a pair of canine teeth"

A lot of herbivores have canines. In fact, I won't say all because I don't know, but I bet it'd be hard to find herbivores that don't have canines.

CanadianGuy said:
lol your funny really. We're omnivores if you didn't know. We eat both so we need both kinds of things. Why do you think that guy that only ate carrots turned green? And that our ancestors ate meat, when all other animals stuck to their meat or vege diet, except omnivores.

I don't eat both. I don't need both. If vegetarians can not only survive, but are actually healthier than the average person, what in the world would make you say that we have to (or should) eat meat. Here's an interesting fact, the only type of animal whose cholesterol increases after eating saturated fats (found almost exclusively in meat/eggs/dairy) is herbivores. Our cholesterol increases when we consume saturated fats. Hmm...

And all the evidence suggests that our early ancestors ate a very vegan diet, almost 99%, same as our chimp cousins do.

CanadianGuy said:
We do have nails which can grow to great lengths. We have evolved into not needing them to be so long and sharp. We were also given the thought process to create things like forks and knives as well as bows and I guess knives again.

Are you trying to equate a tiger's claws with human fingernails? There's a reason we had to invent weapons, because our "claws" are capable of no real damage. And if we couldn't hunt animals until we invented those tools, wouldn't you kind of wonder if we were meant to eat it in the first place?

CanadianGuy said:
As I said before we are omnivores and we have evolved. Who says we might not have once perspired through our tounges but evolved into not needing them or because it is easier.

Humans have never perspired though our tongues.

CanadianGuy said:
We do have canine teeth and as I said we are omnivores. We have canine teeth and flat molars

See above horse quote for other herbivores that also have canines.

CanadianGuy said:
We are omnivores. We have evolved so we can not eat raw meet who says we did not evolve to a longer intestinal tract. Just like how we cannot drink water right from a lake stream or river.

We actually could drink straight from streams and rivers for thousands of years until we started polluting them. And it sounds like you are saying that humans have un-evolved. And if our ancestors could eat meat raw, why did they cook it?

CanadianGuy said:
Ahm. The definition of murder is: "The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice"

So there you have it we kill living plants don't we both are not very intelligent thoguh I do no think killing smarter animals or endangered ones is apropriate

I have never said that killing animals is the same as murder. I hold human life to be worth more than animals. But that doesn't mean we should kill them unnecessarily. And eating meat is unnecessary.

And I'm sure you're aware that pigs are as smart as dogs. So why don't we eat dogs?

gfytt689 said:
i have a question. why are we argueing about meat. i dont care if people eat meat and vegetarians shouldnt care if i eat meat. i think im the only person in PETA that eats meat. but i have vegetarian freinds and sometimes they try to get me to be one and honestly, im not ganna stop eating meat. and im not convincing any vegetarians to start cause honestly the vegetarians have better reasons to not eat meat. so unless im spoken to directly im not ganna reply any here any more and im ganna stick with sports. bye

I don't care what other people eat. I just have fun showing why my diet is superior. ;)

Back
Top Bottom