• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Vegas water intake now visible at drought-stricken Lake Mead

That is not what I think. I am well aware that lakes evaporate whether they are in a desert or not. My point is that Lake Mead has been in the desert for over 85 years and since the Colorado River continuously fills the lake, evaporation is not the main reason that levels are so low. If evaporation was such a huge factor as you suggest, low water levels should have been a problem since the lake was built. But evaporation is not the main problem. So... your point that evaporation is the problem is, well... just stupid.
LOL correlation causation fallacy. Another weaksauce argument coming from Buzz! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Ready to build an interstate Eisenhower-style water pipeline system from the excess water in the east to the arid west, Lake Powell specifically? Yet!

This is what great infrastructure presidents have done. Drop some water off at the depleted Ogallala Aquiver while you’re at it. Save irrigation.

Following train routes also works. Joplin to Trinidad to Albuquerque. Then northwest to Page. LA/TX line should also be included to @AlbqOwl .
What did I do? :) I didn't think I had a dog in this fight, but I have always been intrigued at the idea of piping water from the east where they so often have way too much of it and supplying the water starved west. I doubt there is enough water in Lake Powell or anywhere else in the west to furnish water to all who might want it out here on the high desert.

LOL correlation causation fallacy. Another weaksauce argument coming from Buzz! :LOL::ROFLMAO:
:LOL:🤪 :ROFLMAO::p

You are the one who came up with the "correlation causation fallacy" when you came up with the stupid idea that Lake Mead is running out of water because it is in a desert.

Don't you ever get tired of making a complete fool of yourself?

:LOL:🤪 :ROFLMAO::p

You are the one who came up with the "correlation causation fallacy" when you came up with the stupid idea that Lake Mead is running out of water because it is in a desert.

Don't you ever get tired of making a complete fool of yourself?
LOL now youre doubling down on your position that lakes in deserts never experiences evaporation. Keep digging that hole! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

LOL now youre doubling down on your position that lakes in deserts never experiences evaporation. Keep digging that hole! :LOL::ROFLMAO:
WTF, dude... Do you understand the English language? I said:

...lakes evaporate whether they are in a desert or not.

Are you having a Derp moment or do you just have no problem with lying about what someone says?

WTF, dude... Do you understand the English language? I said:

Are you having a Derp moment or do you just have no problem with lying about what someone says?
Here's your own quote: "the stupid idea that Lake Mead is running out of water because it is in a desert." (post #78)

So you think its stupid when lakes in deserts run out of water. Good job on not understanding evaporation. :ROFLMAO::LOL:😁😆

Here's your own quote: "the stupid idea that Lake Mead is running out of water because it is in a desert." (post #78)

So you think its stupid when lakes in deserts run out of water. Good job on not understanding evaporation. :ROFLMAO::LOL:😁😆
He argues just to argue, not understanding the relevance if facts. My new approach is to just chime in once in a while, rather than playing his games. I suggest you let it be, as he will not stop as long as you humor him.

He gets off on it some how.

Reactions: PoS
He argues just to argue, not understanding the relevance if facts. My new approach is to just chime in once in a while, rather than playing his games. I suggest you let it be, as he will not stop as long as you humor him.

He gets off on it some how.

Buzz is correct, Pos is not

Lake Mead is low because water inflows to the lake are lower, they are lower due to droughts hundreds if not thousands of miles away. The evaporation of water from Lake Mead has likely not changed much over the last 30 years. That Lake Mead is in a desert is meaningless, it what is happening to the watershed the feeds lake mead. Drought conditions there would be the biggest factor

Lake Mead is low because water inflows to the lake are lower, they are lower due to droughts hundreds if not thousands of miles away. The evaporation of water from Lake Mead has likely not changed much over the last 30 years. That Lake Mead is in a desert is meaningless, it what is happening to the watershed the feeds lake mead. Drought conditions there would be the biggest factor
The water entering the lake is not record low levels. The problem is higher water usage, which will continue to increase over time with population growth.

The problem is blaming AGW for this when it is inevitable that more population requires more water.

This is what you guys deny.

The water entering the lake is not record low levels. The problem is higher water usage, which will continue to increase over time with population growth.

The problem is blaming AGW for this when it is inevitable that more population requires more water.

This is what you guys deny.

This article states inflows to Lake Mead are 26% of normal historical levels and the article is one year old, I doubt inflows have increased in the last year

This article states inflows to Lake Mead are 26% of normal historical levels and the article is one year old, I doubt inflows have increased in the last year
Yes, but its still not a historical low.

It says:

One of the driest 22-year periods in centuries is colliding with the river's chronic overuse.

It doesn't say it is the driest.

Why do people keep linking material that agrees with me, thinking it disproves what I say?

Why haven't you AGW doom advocates not learned yet to read past the title of an article?

Reactions: PoS
Yes, but its still not a historical low.

It says:

One of the driest 22-year periods in centuries is colliding with the river's chronic overuse.

It doesn't say it is the driest.

Why do people keep linking material that agrees with me, thinking it disproves what I say?

Why haven't you AGW doom advocates not learned yet to read past the title of an article?

I never said it was the driest, just that inflows are 26% lower than historical levels, that would impact water levels would it not?

I never said it was the driest, just that inflows are 26% lower than historical levels, that would impact water levels would it not?
I would think the inflow would be mostly regulated by how much lake Powell releases.

Historical averages.

So?

Do you deny there are long term natural cycles around the earth?

I would think the inflow would be mostly regulated by how much lake Powell releases.
Yes, and Powell seems to be having reduced water inflows as well, strange that they both seem to have reduced water inflows and low water levels, I just can not see the connection between the two

Historical averages.

So?

Do you deny there are long term natural cycles around the earth?

Certainly not, there are plenty of climatic cycles that effect the globe. I also know that human actions can change climatic conditions based on what is done. The Amazon rain forest can be effected by large scale deforestation, causing the area to become drier in general.

That human actions have increased greenhouse gas levels over what they would have been, and greenhouse gases do effect the climate, by how much is not certain.

Now as to the importance of climate change and the effects on human society

The US south west was built up over the last 70 years based on the water supply from primarily the Colorado River Basin. Water flows from that basin has been decreasing over the last few years and population in that area has increased. If the trends continue, a lot of the investments made in the US south west that require cheap and plentiful water may have to be abandoned, and the people may have to move at great cost.

There are lots of areas on the earth that could require people moving away from, either from higher temperatures, drought or rising water levels. Lots of wasted investment and or social disruption ( potential government collapse)

Last edited:
Yes, and Powell seems to be having reduced water inflows as well, strange that they both seem to have reduced water inflows and low water levels, I just can not see the connection between the two
Yes, low inflow means that to maintain a high level, the usage needs to be reduced as well. Usage is reduced, but not enough to make up for the loss of inflow.

Certainly not, there are plenty of climatic cycles that effect the globe. I also know that human actions can change climatic conditions based on what is done. The Amazon rain forest can be effected by large scale deforestation, causing the area to become drier in general.

That human actions have increased greenhouse gas levels over what they would have been, and greenhouse gases do effect the climate, by how much is not certain.
There are many factors, but CO2 is insignificant compared to reduced rainfall and higher usage over the long term.

lake Powell
During WY 2022, water storage has fallen by 990,297 AF and total outflows have exceeded total inflows by 947,352 AF
When we take out more water than is coming in, the level will fall.
I think the American west could have some tough years ahead, but we have not exploited all of our water options yet.

Yes, low inflow means that to maintain a high level, the usage needs to be reduced as well. Usage is reduced, but not enough to make up for the loss of inflow.

Yes quite true, to reduce usage will require sacrifice by those dependent on that water

LOL so you believe there are no droughts in deserts too? :LOL::ROFLMAO:

LOL so you believe there are no droughts in deserts too? :LOL::ROFLMAO:
Certainly not, but run off in the desert is not where lake mead gets much of its water. So a drought in the desert around lake mead will have a very minor impact on water inflows to the lake

Dude... The stupid idea was YOUR IDEA !!!

:rolleyes:

He argues just to argue, not understanding the relevance if facts.
There you go again lying about me.
My new approach is to just chime in once in a while, rather than playing his games.
Your trolling is nothing new.
I suggest you let it be, as he will not stop as long as you humor him.
What PoS is doing is not humor. It is just stupid. And you are making a fool of yourself for sticking up for his dumb arguments.

Dude... The stupid idea was YOUR IDEA !!!

:rolleyes:
LOL yeah right, you claimed that low water levels on Lake Mead were caused by manmade AGW and not evaporation. Now youve gotten desperate. :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom