• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Veganism Is An Eating Diisorder

Nutritional deficiences cause those problems, not high fat.

In other words, too much meat. like I said.

You know what? I have exactly zero issue with your choice or even the fact you're "militant" about it. Don't think I could do it (though I'd have a tougher time giving up carbs) but I think it's as valid a choice as any and I think there's enough variety out there that it could be perfectly healthy. More power to you.

Instead of behaving like a jerk, how about adding something INTELLIGENT to this thread from a vegan standpoint. I've already done so from an eating disorder standpoint.

I don't know, CC, I have not been in a lot of these threads so maybe he's insufferable but one thing I do see it that pretty much every post of his will draw mentions of meat, descriptions of meat, pictures of meat, etc. Some of it's hilarious to be sure, but I think he may draw some fire just due to his username. Like I say, could be completely wrong, wouldn't be the first or last time.

You know what? I have exactly zero issue with your choice or even the fact you're "militant" about it. Don't think I could do it (though I'd have a tougher time giving up carbs) but I think it's as valid a choice as any and I think there's enough variety out there that it could be perfectly healthy. More power to you.

thanks, you're the exception, you're not insecure about yourself.

that's a terrible argument. people who eat tons of animal fat don't live long healthy lives

Oh look, another strawman. Nobody is telling anyone to eat a ton of meat. But on the other hand a vegan diet is unhealthy, unnatural and thats why more than 85% of vegans quit.

Especially BACON...

Can't wait to read our resident Militant Vegan's response to Dr. Angela Guarda.

Bacon, Egg, and Cheese sandwich, that's my vegan delight....

After all, the bread is made out of wheat. ;)

Tell that to the Inuit.

Well, maybe not, science is not sure yet, but there is reason to think that fat is no where near as bad for us as has been advertised.

D'oh. Are there really people who still don't understand that no individual food is good or bad per se, but that it's all about quantity and variety?

For a long time, medical advise warned of too much saturared fat ... and people went all nuts, declaring fat evil, but had no qualms eating tons of sugar and few vitamins and fiber, and actually believed less fat was healthy in this context. Now medical advice claims fat isn't that bad but sugar is, and some people believe it's now healthy to swallow 5000 calories of saturated fat per meal, as long as they avoid sugar. :p

Personally, I don't think moderate consumption of saturated fat or sugar or any other food is bad per se. But the problem is, too many people, on average, eat way too much of both.

My whole point was that our genetics were shaped over millennias when eating habits were much different, and that most likely shows. Obesity is mostly a problem, because our appetite was genetically shaped in a time when fat and sugar were less often and less readily available as it is today in the West, so many Westeners eat too much. Necessity and availability dictated a more varied and healthier diet for our ancestors.

So my point about meat: When your ancestors weren't Inuit or eskimos or so, your ancestors didn't eat meat daily, most of the time. For centuries, millennias perhaps, the largest part of their diet were grains and other fruits. People also herded and stocked animals, so milk and diary products were added to this daily diet. But meat was something you ate on special occassions; for a holiday, the best animal of the herd was slaughtered for the village feast, or every couple of days, a hunter was successful. Near the sea, fishing was probably common, too.

For example, look at the Bible stories: In the Old Testament, cattle is a very valuable commodity, and slaughtering them is reserved for special occassions or feasts.

So the point? Most likely our bodies aren't used to large quantities of animal fat on a daily basis. They are not used to refined sugars at all. And they are used to much more fibers than many people eat today.

Uh, no, it is not. Maybe in an eating disorder clinic there are vegans who happens to have an underlying eating disorder, that is what is a fact. However loads and loads and loads (the vast majority) of vegans never have to go to an eating disorder clinic.

Vegans are just like any other person in the world, they have eating disorders. I am sure there may even be morbidly obese vegans (maybe not that many but it surely is possible). There may be vegans who have bulimia, there may be vegans who are stress eaters, there may be vegans who are secret eaters, there may be vegans who cheat on their vegan principles, etc. etc. etc.

Just because in a clinic for people with an eating disorder, there are people who happen to be vegans proves nothing at all, especially not what you are claiming.

Vegetarianism is a valid choice, vaganism is extremism.

D'oh. Are there really people who still don't understand that no individual food is good or bad per se, but that it's all about quantity and variety?

For a long time, medical advise warned of too much saturared fat ... and people went all nuts, declaring fat evil, but had no qualms eating tons of sugar and few vitamins and fiber, and actually believed less fat was healthy in this context. Now medical advice claims fat isn't that bad but sugar is, and some people believe it's now healthy to swallow 5000 calories of saturated fat per meal, as long as they avoid sugar. :p

Personally, I don't think moderate consumption of saturated fat or sugar or any other food is bad per se. But the problem is, too many people, on average, eat way too much of both.

My whole point was that our genetics were shaped over millennias when eating habits were much different, and that most likely shows. Obesity is mostly a problem, because our appetite was genetically shaped in a time when fat and sugar were less often and less readily available as it is today in the West, so many Westeners eat too much. Necessity and availability dictated a more varied and healthier diet for our ancestors.

So my point about meat: When your ancestors weren't Inuit or eskimos or so, your ancestors didn't eat meat daily, most of the time. For centuries, millennias perhaps, the largest part of their diet were grains and other fruits. People also herded and stocked animals, so milk and diary products were added to this daily diet. But meat was something you ate on special occassions; for a holiday, the best animal of the herd was slaughtered for the village feast, or every couple of days, a hunter was successful. Near the sea, fishing was probably common, too.

For example, look at the Bible stories: In the Old Testament, cattle is a very valuable commodity, and slaughtering them is reserved for special occassions or feasts.

So the point? Most likely our bodies aren't used to large quantities of animal fat on a daily basis. They are not used to refined sugars at all. And they are used to much more fibers than many people eat today.

We are in a vegan thread so I will not go on and on, but I think too much sugar is a major problem for a lot of people. That would sure be a kick in the head, if 40 years after the minders started harping on fat it turned out that sugar was the far bigger problem. That would also be par for the course with our incompetent lying elite.

Exactly.

Most everything in moderation is good for you, most everything in excess is bad for you.

We require arsenic for good health, but anything more than the smallest traceable amount is harmful and can kill us. We also require fats to be healthy, and protein (at least the essential amminos that our body can't produce) and carbs, but all in moderation.

I figure most everything in life is like that also.

Back
Top Bottom