• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Vegan Supermarket Chain Will Finally Come To The U.S. In 2017

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
this is great. more food option choices, especially healthy ones are most welcome.

this is progress

Veganz, a vegan supermarket chain that was founded in Berlin, Germany, aims to go international, and is set to open a store in Portland, Oregon in 2017. Read below and find out more about this wonderful news

this is great. more food option choices, especially healthy ones are most welcome.

this is progress

Veganz, a vegan supermarket chain that was founded in Berlin, Germany, aims to go international, and is set to open a store in Portland, Oregon in 2017. Read below and find out more about this wonderful news

I have no problem with someone opening a business they feel will make profit, but how exactly is it that you feel food sold at the vegan store will be better then a comparable item at a different store? that's the part that makes no sense to me.

I have no problem with someone opening a business they feel will make profit, but how exactly is it that you feel food sold at the vegan store will be better then a comparable item at a different store? that's the part that makes no sense to me.

so your logic tells you it will simply be items sold at other stores. lol

so your logic tells you it will simply be items sold at other stores. lol

I think the majority of the items they will sell are.

I mean it will be like whole food, if you want a store where all products meet your value standards and have it a one stop shop it will be very helpful for many vegans I'm sure.

I don't think there's any magic in the ceiling though that will turn a head of lettuce into anything other then a head of lettuce. or tofurky into anything other then tofurky.

There are a lot of vegan items not sold in conventional grocery stores because the stores need to make room for the stuff that appeals to the mass market, which usually isn't vegan. A lot of vegans end up ordering things online becasue they can't even find it at places like Wholefoods. So this store will likely have many things that can only be specially ordered through the mail and now people will be able to buy it quicker in person. I am sure it will also be expensive as hell. Of course, in order to succeed there needs to be a big enough market, but Portland is one of the places where they might be able to pull that off.

There are a lot of vegan items not sold in conventional grocery stores because the stores need to make room for the stuff that appeals to the mass market, which usually isn't vegan. A lot of vegans end up ordering things online becasue they can't even find it at places like Wholefoods. So this store will likely have many things that can only be specially ordered through the mail and now people will be able to buy it quicker in person. I am sure it will also be expensive as hell. Of course, in order to succeed there needs to be a big enough market, but Portland is one of the places where they might be able to pull that off.

I used to work in Portland, I can vouch for authenticity of the TV show "Portlandia"

If this can work anywhere it is Portland.

I used to work in Portland, I can vouch for authenticity of the TV show "Portlandia"

If this can work anywhere it is Portland.

it also works in Berlin. read the article and learn something.

I can see this working in select markets in the U.S.

I live in an area that's a bit upscale with quite a few here bordering on affluenza, and we're neighboring several high-end suburbs that are among the most affluent in the country. This place is crawling with vegans! Every 3rd female friend of my teen/twenty-something kids is a vegan. Every other date for my kids is a vegan! And not only is my daughter's ex-boyfriend a vegan, but my son's current girlfriend is a vegan (much to his chagrin - but hey, he picked her!)! This is no exaggeration! It's a freakin' affliction!

And even moreso, the area's substantially Jewish so even the non-vegans do vegan or Halal when they go out in an attempt to stay Kashrut (keep kosher)!

Plop one of these stores here, and I believe at least initially there'll be a run on the place, and the joint will likely sustain itself if it's any good.

If they cut a deal with a local rabbi to get a kosher section, they'll be absolute gold!

I would not envy a retailer that tries to sell only to vegans. These are political people with lots of ideas and lots of faith in their importance by and by.

That sounds like a recipe for problems.

I would not envy a retailer that tries to sell only to vegans. These are political people with lots of ideas and lots of faith in their importance by and by.

That sounds like a recipe for problems.

they already own a chain of stores. something tells me they don't need advice from unhealthy people in denial. maybe you could pick up some sour grapes at the grand opening?

they already own a chain of stores. something tells me they don't need advice from unhealthy people in denial. maybe you could pick up some sour grapes at the grand opening?

When Seattle only brick and mortar vegan grocery is a smallish dump in U District (Vegan Haven, formerly Sidecar for Pigs Peace) I have to wonder how this works as a business model. Should be fun.

I think the majority of the items they will sell are.

I mean it will be like whole food, if you want a store where all products meet your value standards and have it a one stop shop it will be very helpful for many vegans I'm sure.

I don't think there's any magic in the ceiling though that will turn a head of lettuce into anything other then a head of lettuce. or tofurky into anything other then tofurky.
Calling a foodstuff vegan gives it magical properties.

Love the idiotic rhetoric. Unhealthy people=anyone not in the cult.
in denial=a meaningless term for anyone who disagrees with you
vegans=nuts with an eating disorder

When Seattle only brick and mortar vegan grocery is a smallish dump in U District (Vegan Haven, formerly Sidecar for Pigs Peace) I have to wonder how this works as a business model. Should be fun.

it isn't seattle only. they have a bunch of stores in europe. you really should read the article. ya know you don't have to shop there, right?

Love the idiotic rhetoric. Unhealthy people=anyone not in the cult.
in denial=a meaningless term for anyone who disagrees with you
vegans=nuts with an eating disorder

by unhealthy folks, i meant the ones who have eaten their way into type 2 diabetes and heart attacks who attack healthy threads in this forum.

by unhealthy folks, i meant the ones who have eaten their way into type 2 diabetes and heart attacks who attack healthy threads in this forum.

Okay. I'm a healthy 75-year old with a good heart and no diabetes. I'm an omnivore.

You should start a thread on your history and motivations re diet and health, cause there has to be a juicy story there. I know a banker whos father died at around age 50 because of ill health, diabetes and other stuff, like 20 years ago, it still is a big part of his life. The dude lost a lot of weight keeping it off and he is vocal on other people failure to be healthy in his eyes. You sound a lot like him.

Okay. I'm a healthy 75-year old with a good heart and no diabetes. I'm an omnivore.

are you threatened by others eating meatless diets, or eating a meal like that yourself?

Back
Top Bottom