• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Veg-friendly’ Barcelona joins Meat Free Monday' [W:52]

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
It will mean businesses in the Spanish city that serve or promote meat free eating getting extra encouragement and backing from the authorities to carry on the good work. Officials have pledged to “support vegan and vegetarian commerce, publish a list of affiliated stores and restaurants, and adhere to Paul McCartney’s Meat Free Monday campaign”.

In his video, Paul asked: “If you heard that meat production was one of the biggest contributors to greenhouse gases in our atmosphere, what would you do? Would you just ignore that fact, or would you want to do something and find a solution?” Spurred into action, the capital of the Catalonia region has shown its determination to be on the side of the doers, and will hopefully encourage other cities and regions in Spain to follow suit. It led by example five years ago in terms of commitment to animal welfare, when it banned bullfights and animal circuses.

While there has yet to be any confirmation of what the city’s commitment to Meat Free Monday will look like, Paul’s video message clearly laid out the aims of the campaign: “We encourage people to not eat meat on Monday or any other day of the week … just one day makes a real difference.” Oslo recently announced it would not be serving meat in its city government offices on a Monday, with the scheme rolled out to municipal canteens and schools at a later date. Meanwhile restaurants in Bordeaux will be encouraged to offer meat free menus on the final Tuesday of every month.

'Veg-friendly' Barcelona joins Meat Free Monday - MFM

Spanish have some very good meats

It will mean businesses in the Spanish city that serve or promote meat free eating getting extra encouragement and backing from the authorities to carry on the good work. Officials have pledged to “support vegan and vegetarian commerce, publish a list of affiliated stores and restaurants, and adhere to Paul McCartney’s Meat Free Monday campaign”.

In his video, Paul asked: “If you heard that meat production was one of the biggest contributors to greenhouse gases in our atmosphere, what would you do? Would you just ignore that fact, or would you want to do something and find a solution?” Spurred into action, the capital of the Catalonia region has shown its determination to be on the side of the doers, and will hopefully encourage other cities and regions in Spain to follow suit. It led by example five years ago in terms of commitment to animal welfare, when it banned bullfights and animal circuses.

While there has yet to be any confirmation of what the city’s commitment to Meat Free Monday will look like, Paul’s video message clearly laid out the aims of the campaign: “We encourage people to not eat meat on Monday or any other day of the week … just one day makes a real difference.” Oslo recently announced it would not be serving meat in its city government offices on a Monday, with the scheme rolled out to municipal canteens and schools at a later date. Meanwhile restaurants in Bordeaux will be encouraged to offer meat free menus on the final Tuesday of every month.

Humans are carnivores, by nature. Part of nature's natural selection process to keep the planet functioning. I'm curious about what you would plan to do with all the animals that currently are raised and bred to feed the world if everyone, as you seem to want, became a Vegan?

Here I thought you might be visiting Barcelona, and the first thought that occurred to me was: "To visit Barcelona and not eat any of their excellent seafood, would be a sacrilege"! :doh

So now, I can't help but wonder: "Do you make exceptions, for incidents like that I posited above"?

The point is pointless, the world will NOT go vegan no matter how much you want it to.

again you miss the point. the point is to at least cut down. the thread title isn't "every day meatless", it is one day.

Here I thought you might be visiting Barcelona, and the first thought that occurred to me was: "To visit Barcelona and not eat any of their excellent seafood, would be a sacrilege"! :doh

So now, I can't help but wonder: "Do you make exceptions, for incidents like that I posited above"?

of course, but the point is to change more to a meat light or European diet. So eat like they do.

Some publicity-seeking city officials voted. That is a long way from a meat-free Barcelona on Mondays.

of course, but the point is to change more to a meat light or European diet. So eat like they do.
Ah, fair enough.

I've come across some, actually quite a few, that practice veganism on ethical grounds. It's fairly popular among the young college college crowd around here, especially the girls for some reason. It's a bit hard to have any equivocal culinary discussion under those terms (ethics & morality bound), so I'm glad that's not the case here.

I'm pretty carnivorous myself, but have Southern Italian blood on my Mom's side, so I do very much agree with you in that a Mediterranean diet can be both tasty *and* healthy! The best of both worlds! And lots of seafood too, which is always a bonus in my book.

While probably less healthy due to the propensity to use quite a bit of oil, the South Asians (Pakis, Indians, etc.) do some amazingly good veggie dishes! If I were forced to eat only vegetables, in terms of tastiness I would be really hitting this stuff up. It's very satisfying, if one likes (very) highly seasoned food! Greek vegetarian food would probably be my next choice, then Italian. Then Chinese would straggle into the mix somewhere, I suppose.

For Lent we bulk-up on eggplant parm or veggie moussaka, when we can't eat meat and want a heavier meal.

again you miss the point. the point is to at least cut down. the thread title isn't "every day meatless", it is one day.

I have little edoubt most Spaniards laugh as hard as I do at such pathetic attempts. If I feel like meat I eat meat, if I feel like fish I eat fish etc etc...

Wait you want Europeans to eat a more European diet?

I have little edoubt most Spaniards laugh as hard as I do at such pathetic attempts. If I feel like meat I eat meat, if I feel like fish I eat fish etc etc...

Most Spaniards laugh at Americans, what they eat, and the state of their health. I doubt if they are afraid of meatless mondays like you are.

Do you go to threads about movies and croak "I don't go to movies" too?

Oh, but you are wrong. No paella on Monday, the rest of the week is still save from sacrilege.

The thread is only to highlight that some Spaniards celebrate meat free Mondays. No one is forcing anyone to do anything they don't like.
So unless someone is forced to travel to Spain ( please do), and abstain from meat entirely, what is the problem?
Not everyone loves meat. Some do.

The thread is only to highlight that some Spaniards celebrate meat free Mondays. No one is forcing anyone to do anything they don't like.
So unless someone is forced to travel to Spain ( please do), and abstain from meat entirely, what is the problem?
Not everyone loves meat. Some do.

I haven't crapped on threads about meat, so i don't know why people are doing this to mine. it's only 2 people though.

Some publicity-seeking city officials voted. That is a long way from a meat-free Barcelona on Mondays.

Yep, when I was in Spain everybody was eating Jamon Serrano or Iberico for tapas. Delicious!

jIpoUfD.jpg

Yep, when I was in Spain everybody was eating Jamon Serrano or Iberico for tapas. Delicious!

jIpoUfD.jpg
Is that air-cured.

A Spanish 'prosciutto', for lack of better words?

whoever picked your screen name knew what they were doing.

Ah, fair enough.

I've come across some, actually quite a few, that practice veganism on ethical grounds. It's fairly popular among the young college college crowd around here, especially the girls for some reason. It's a bit hard to have any equivocal culinary discussion under those terms (ethics & morality bound), so I'm glad that's not the case here.

I'm pretty carnivorous myself, but have Southern Italian blood on my Mom's side, so I do very much agree with you in that a Mediterranean diet can be both tasty *and* healthy! The best of both worlds! And lots of seafood too, which is always a bonus in my book.

While probably less healthy due to the propensity to use quite a bit of oil, the South Asians (Pakis, Indians, etc.) do some amazingly good veggie dishes! If I were forced to eat only vegetables, in terms of tastiness I would be really hitting this stuff up. It's very satisfying, if one likes (very) highly seasoned food! Greek vegetarian food would probably be my next choice, then Italian. Then Chinese would straggle into the mix somewhere, I suppose.

For Lent we bulk-up on eggplant parm or veggie moussaka, when we can't eat meat and want a heavier meal.

The Best Vegan Restaurants in Barcelona

Barcelona is experiencing the same transition as most other cosmopolitan cities in Europe and is becoming more vegetarian and vegan friendly every day, hence our delight at being able to share with you eight of the best vegan restaurants in Barcelona based not just on our favourites, but also on the recommendations of the people we trust the most – foodies like you

Yes, you gotta try it, it melts in your mouth!

Of course I know what Im doing, I picked it after all.

you should have added the word "creep" after the PoS.

Back
Top Bottom