• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Vatican astonished at Belgian police raid

Redress

Liberal Fascist For Life!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Vatican astonished at Belgian police raid - Yahoo! News

AP-6:30 pm est

The Vatican said Friday it was astonished and outraged that Belgian police investigating priestly sex abuse had conducted raids that also targeted the graves of two archbishops.

Separately, police seized the records of an independent panel investigating sexual abuse by priests, some 500 cases in all. The victims are mostly men now in their 60s and 70s.

This also drew the condemnation of the Vatican, which said it regretted the violation of the confidentiality due the victims of child abuse.

You go Belgium!

Good move. I don't understand why so many nations are allowing the Vatican to conduct an independent investigation? Are they above the law or something?

If I went and molested some kid, can my family then go and do an independent investigation? Hell no. I get arrested and thrown in jail.

You do the crime, you pay the time. No more beating around the bush.

I don't mind the raid on the cathedral, but what is the purpose of raiding graves? What evidence would be there?

I don't mind the raid on the cathedral, but what is the purpose of raiding graves? What evidence would be there?

They apparently had reason to believe that some documents may have been buried with the bodies. No idea if this turned out to be the case, but that was the reason for doing it.

No one should be above the law and that includes, the Pope

They apparently had reason to believe that some documents may have been buried with the bodies. No idea if this turned out to be the case, but that was the reason for doing it.

I see. I don't understand the logic of retaining documents that are incriminating, even burying them in a grave. There is a discovery we call fire that works much better.

the vatican supports the sanctity of marriage. archbishop law is hiding from american law in the vatican.

I see. I don't understand the logic of retaining documents that are incriminating, even burying them in a grave. There is a discovery we call fire that works much better.

I always wonder at that too, but how often has it turned out that the documents where kept somehow, for some reason?

One report I read stated that they found nothing beyond a few bones in the graves, but i would guess these Clergy might have been sneaky enough to hide documents there.

the vatican supports the sanctity of marriage. archbishop law is hiding from american law in the vatican.

Of course they do, encourage the women to have as many children as possible, so they too can grow up to be good Catholics and give all their money to the Church.

but the last two pope's have taken strong stands against the lying war in iraq.

Why on earth would the church bury incriminating documents with the bodies of priests? Unless the police had evidence indicating that there was probable cause to dig them up, it seems like that was astonishingly out of line.

I just put it down as people from Belgium are weird.

Back
Top Bottom