• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Various Republican Positions on Education

KevinWan

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I haven't been on this forum in a while! I'm baaack..

Anyway... as a Republican, I find myself outside the mainstream of the party regarding the issue of education. There are many ways, from a Republican perspective, to view the issue. States' rights comes into play, as does equality of opportunity and limited government. I support the nationalization of the education system, in pursuit of equality of opportunity. But the mainstream of the party disagrees with me, favoring states' rights or limited government..

I wrote about the issue here. Read this, add to the debate or choose one of the arguments presented. Debate which is the best root for the Republican party to take on the issue.... Enjoy!

KevinWan said:
I support the nationalization of the education system, in pursuit of equality of opportunity.

The economic disparity WITHIN each state is much much greater than the economic disparity BETWEEN each state. That is, there's a lot less difference between a Connecticutter and a West Virginian, than there is between a rich West Virginian and a poor West Virginian. There is no state in our country that is too poor to provide a quality education for its citizens, if it adopts the right policies.

With that being said, states are clearly the best entity to provide quality education. Many local school districts simply don't have enough money to do this competently, and the federal government is too bureaucratic to do this.

Also, allowing the states to decide on their own education policies will allow a Darwinian natural selection process. Every state will be able to do as it pleases, and compare their results to other states with other education policies. Thus, the good policies will survive and spread to other states, while the bad policies will quickly be weeded out. If education is nationalized, this will not happen because there will be no basis for comparison.

Back
Top Bottom