• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

VA Secretary Bob McDonald Likens VA Wait Times to Wating in Line at Disney World

Fenton

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
VA Secretary Disneyland-wait time comparison draws ire
Veterans affairs secretary Disneyland comparison criticized - CNNPolitics.com

" Veterans Affairs Secretary Bob McDonald downplayed Monday the time it takes for veterans to receive medical treatment by comparing the "experience" of waiting for health care to Disneyland guests waiting for a ride.

"When you go to Disney, do they measure the number of hours you wait in line? Or what's important?" McDonald told reporters at a Christian Science Monitor breakfast in Washington. "What's important is what's your satisfaction with the experience?"

Hey McDonald, what if the waits so long you never get on the ride ?

307,000 vets may have died awaiting VA care, report says - CNNPolitics.com

The whole VA scandal should clue even the most brain dead American of just how bad Single Payer would be for the average American. Has ANYONE been held accountable for the VA scandal yet ?

Nope.

Saw this earlier....almost puked. I had 2 friends commit suicide while being over prescribed with pain killers and anti depressants while waiting on operations. I had another commit suicide because he was too embarrassed to ask for help for PTSD for fear of being stigmatized.

The whole VA scandal should clue even the most brain dead American of just how bad Single Payer would be for the average American.
Right, because if a veteran could go to any doctor that would be bad.

To fix the VA congress should require all federally elected officials, cabinet positions, and other high federal positions and their families be required to us the VA as their sole healthcare provider. Then have them added to the bottom of the backlog list.

Saw this earlier....almost puked. I had 2 friends commit suicide while being over prescribed with pain killers and anti depressants while waiting on operations. I had another commit suicide because he was too embarrassed to ask for help for PTSD for fear of being stigmatized.

Thats the thing about Nationalized Healthcare, the small detail Sanders and his supporters leave out of their grand scheme to provide healthcare as a " right "

The Govt is never held to account legally or otherwise for it's unprecedented levels of corruption and mismanagement

The Left sees Single payer as the answer, as societal evolution but it would destroy what's left of this Nation. Reason being is no matter how poorly it was run, no matter how many people died due to Govt incompetence, corruption and mismanagement, no matter how much economic damage it did or how fiscally unsustainable it became, they would still be out there claiming it was a " resounding success "

Govt officials and bureaucrats would be protected from prosecution or even losing their jobs just like at the VA. But instead of your Father or Grandfather or Uncle ( which is bad enough ) being neglected it would be your Son, your Daughter, your wife

To fix the VA congress should require all federally elected officials, cabinet positions, and other high federal positions and their families be required to us the VA as their sole healthcare provider. Then have them added to the bottom of the backlog list.
That would be like equal treatment and we all know that some people are more equal than others...

Thats the thing about Nationalized Healthcare, the small detail Sanders and his supporters leave out of their grand scheme to provide healthcare as a " right "
Funny that it works well in other places.

The Govt is never held to account legally or otherwise for it's unprecedented levels of corruption and mismanagement
You say that as if the government is something imposed on us by some aliens. I remind you of Lincoln's words: "a government of the people, by the people and for the people" which translates in you, your brother, parents, cousins, friends, neighbors etc being the government by your will. When they fail it is YOUR fault no one else's.

The Left sees Single payer as the answer, as societal evolution but it would destroy what's left of this Nation.
Why? By making people healthier?

" Veterans Affairs Secretary Bob McDonald downplayed Monday the time it takes for veterans to receive medical treatment by comparing the "experience" of waiting for health care to Disneyland guests waiting for a ride.

"When you go to Disney, do they measure the number of hours you wait in line? Or what's important?" McDonald told reporters at a Christian Science Monitor breakfast in Washington. "What's important is what's your satisfaction with the experience?"

The whole VA scandal should clue even the most brain dead American of just how bad Single Payer would be for the average American. Has ANYONE been held accountable for the VA scandal yet ?

Nope.
Wow, just disgusting.

Nope.
When it comes to long wait times at the VA, it's the American taxpayers being taken for a ride...

And might I just say that the Washington Establishment is in full meltdown mode. You'd think McDonald's comments came from The Onion. Seriously. He might as well have said "our VA care is to die for".

Nope.

Yeah, every time I go the the VA I think Disney. :roll: I like it when my doctors are dressed like Snow White or Goofy.

The Left sees Single payer as the answer, as societal evolution but it would destroy what's left of this Nation. Reason being is no matter how poorly it was run, no matter how many people died due to Govt incompetence, corruption and mismanagement, no matter how much economic damage it did or how fiscally unsustainable it became, they would still be out there claiming it was a " resounding success "

Govt officials and bureaucrats would be protected from prosecution or even losing their jobs just like at the VA. But instead of your Father or Grandfather or Uncle ( which is bad enough ) being neglected it would be your Son, your Daughter, your wife

As usual much of what you say is not correct.

As usual much of what you say is not correct.

He is a hell of a lot closer to correct than your simple one line snark.

Do you deal with the VA?

Have you ever had to jump through the hoops of bureaucracy, and the attitudes of the lazy azzed people who work at the VA?

Do you realize that people in the VA actually pat themselves on the back, and actually get bonuses for providing sub standard health care?

Here, let me quote myself:

Yeah, every time I go the the VA I think Disney. :roll: I like it when my doctors are dressed like Snow White or Goofy.

He is a hell of a lot closer to correct than your simple one line snark.

Do you deal with the VA?

Have you ever had to jump through the hoops of bureaucracy, and the attitudes of the lazy azzed people who work at the VA?

Do you realize that people in the VA actually pat themselves on the back, and actually get bonuses for providing sub standard health care?

And how is that relevant to what we are discussing?

Progressives lie, Progressive Politicians and their progressive supporters all lie. Being morally and ethically reprehensible is one of their defining characteristics.

I posted that video to remind you and the rest of the posters on this thread that reality and bull **** empty promises from corrupt left wing Politicians are two different things.

Here, another example. Obama-care gave every State a option. You could set up a exchange or you could set up Single-Payer. Only one State opted for a Single payer initiative, Bernie Sanders home State of Vermont.

Vermont back in 2011 hired MIT's Jonathon Gruber and Harvard's William Hsiao to crunch the numbers and see if Single payer was even feasible. A 203 report extolling the virtues and feasibility of Single Payer produced and Vermont's Governor and Vermont's legislature passed a new law, ACT 48.

The law instructed the Vermont legislature to figure out how exactly to fund Green Mountain care because according to MIT's Jonathon Gruber and Harvard's William Hsiao, Single Payer would save the State over 1.6 Billion dollars in 10 years.

4 years later, Vermont scrapped it's Single payer initiative after realizing it would take a 160% overall increase in taxes to pay for it. It would crush their local economy and drive out businesses and capital investment.

Well what about MIT's Jonathon Gruber and Harvard's William Hsiao's report that stated Vermont would save 1.6 Billion dollars over 10 years ? A report that the Vermont tax payers paid Jonathon Gruber 400 thousand dollars for ??

It was bull ****, lies and propaganda. Something the average American is getting really tired of listening to after 8 years of Obama.

This is all a bull**** argument.

If we were not so prone to using our Military resources more often than we do not, the VA system would not be such a disaster. Said another way, politicians love to send the troops to whatever conflict and pay the military industrial complex a fortune for the latest and greatest equipment... but those same politicians could not care any less about the soldiers who come home (and their families who end up appealing to charitable organizations to do what the VA and our government should have done for them.)

The VA is always going to be a problem because of the bureaucracy of a government ran operation that is a given, but it is going to end up exponentially worse because of how much we task them to deal with from all the wars and conflicts we will not quit fighting.

The argument about "single payer" is a diversion from a very ugly truth about this nation's willingness to go fight somewhere but ignore on our own team whom is harmed in the process.

He is a hell of a lot closer to correct than your simple one line snark. Do you deal with the VA? Have you ever had to jump through the hoops of bureaucracy, and the attitudes of the lazy azzed people who work at the VA? Do you realize that people in the VA actually pat themselves on the back, and actually get bonuses for providing sub standard health care?

I deal with the VA- 60% disability. I've NEVER had a long wait, NEVER jumped through a hoop, NEVER got any 'attitude' from the VA. I get better treatment from the VA than ANY private sector doctor and I used the private sector for decades after I left the Infantry. You don't understand the corporate model bonus- even a failing corporation gives bonuses- a tax dodge type of deferred salary.

While I don't know any dead vets who had 'year long waits' I've known quite a few drunks and heavy smokers who don't get priority treatment because drinking and smoking are not considered service related injuries. I know vets who never suffered as much as a paper cut and didn't do a full 20 not being given a high priority so they do have long wait times- but blame Congress as much as anyone- only so much money is given to the VA for doctors, services and clinic workers- they triage the money- Group 1 vets getting getting priority.

I have ZERO complaints about my treatment in the VA clinic, but then again I can compare it to the treament I got through the private sector and I am ever so glad I finally went to the VA to be evaluated... :peace

I deal with the VA- 60% disability. I've NEVER had a long wait, NEVER jumped through a hoop, NEVER got any 'attitude' from the VA. I get better treatment from the VA than ANY private sector doctor and I used the private sector for decades after I left the Infantry. You don't understand the corporate model bonus- even a failing corporation gives bonuses- a tax dodge type of deferred salary.

While I don't know any dead vets who had 'year long waits' I've known quite a few drunks and heavy smokers who don't get priority treatment because drinking and smoking are not considered service related injuries. I know vets who never suffered as much as a paper cut and didn't do a full 20 not being given a high priority so they do have long wait times- but blame Congress as much as anyone- only so much money is given to the VA for doctors, services and clinic workers- they triage the money- Group 1 vets getting getting priority.

I have ZERO complaints about my treatment in the VA clinic, but then again I can compare it to the treament I got through the private sector and I am ever so glad I finally went to the VA to be evaluated... :peace

Great! You live in Oklahoma with a population of what? Try coming to the Hampton roads area and see if you have the same enjoyable experience, or any other large city. I see it every freaking day with all my ex/retired military friends. It's a fooking miracle if you can get a Sikh doctor to write in clear enough English for the pharmacy not to hand you birth control pills.

Single payer will be the new VA system where you will have doctors hired at the cheapest salaries, and bureaucrats determining if it's worth fighting off stage 3 and 4 cancers.

When they get back logged, they will dope you up for a year or so before they seriously consider the operation that you needed the year before.

At least Disney has FastPasses to make the wait better and entertaining queues.

Sent from my iPad Pro 12.9" AT&T using Tapatalk

Single payer will be the new VA system where you will have doctors hired at the cheapest salaries, and bureaucrats determining if it's worth fighting off stage 3 and 4 cancers.

When they get back logged, they will dope you up for a year or so before they seriously consider the operation that you needed the year before.

Just like the UK's system. Wait 16 weeks to begin treatment for Kidney Stones? Not me.

That is all anecdotal. While not meaningless, we have no choice but to evaluate documented cases of veterans not seen but who should have been. In some cases losing their life before even a chance to be seen.

We need to be thinking about underline reasons as to why the VA cannot seem to cover the workload of veterans needing medical attention of some regard. We have to have this conversation.

This is all a bull**** argument.

If we were not so prone to using our Military resources more often than we do not, the VA system would not be such a disaster. Said another way, politicians love to send the troops to whatever conflict and pay the military industrial complex a fortune for the latest and greatest equipment... but those same politicians could not care any less about the soldiers who come home (and their families who end up appealing to charitable organizations to do what the VA and our government should have done for them.)

The VA is always going to be a problem because of the bureaucracy of a government ran operation that is a given, but it is going to end up exponentially worse because of how much we task them to deal with from all the wars and conflicts we will not quit fighting.

The argument about "single payer" is a diversion from a very ugly truth about this nation's willingness to go fight somewhere but ignore on our own team whom is harmed in the process.

First, if our Govt treats our Veterans this poorly, imagine how they're going to treat the average American

Next, the VA scandal is a cautionary tale. It for one highlights a alarming lack of accountability and it exposed a policy thats focus is on protecting bureaucrats, federal employees and Political appointees over holding those responsible accountable for what they've done.

You think its a Bull **** argument? Name ONE person thats been held accountable for the hundreds of thousands of examples of neglect

Great! You live in Oklahoma with a population of what? Try coming to the Hampton roads area and see if you have the same enjoyable experience, or any other large city. I see it every freaking day with all my ex/retired military friends. It's a fooking miracle if you can get a Sikh doctor to write in clear enough English for the pharmacy not to hand you birth control pills.

We don't have VA clinics on every street corner, my area has three large military bases 2 AF, 1 Army with large retiree populations- the 'problem' clinics of Colorado and New Mexico don't have 'huge' populations to service either. I guess your fooking friends don't know about the Choice card... I do have a vet friend who is lower priority due to no service related injury nor doing a full 20 who does 50/50 Philly and Winter Park, Fl. he doesn't have long wait times either.

I doubt you see anything every freakin day- except right wing whine sites. Again you claim a lot but really don't give facts- my friend this, all my friends that. Lawton has a very small VA clinic- Civilian urgent care in town is bigger- but somehow it manages to take care of us.

Comparing my VA experience to my decades of private sector experience ( lots of 'funny' names on the doctor list in the private sector BTW)- I'll take VA any day. I do know the drunks and smokers clog the system up pretty bad- but I wouldn't blame VA for that... :peace

Back
Top Bottom