• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

VA Plans to Outsource All Compensation and Pension Exams

Checkerboard Strangler

Make Video Horizontal Again
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Oh looky, more privatization!
Guess what's going to happen if we let this grow legs?
Disabled veterans will be subjected to routine "fishing expeditions" in an effort to cut or remove compensation and disability pensions, and outsourced caseworkers will be increasingly disconnected from the disabled veterans community.

Active duty and veterans damned sure didn't ask for it.

People in government with no skin in the game continue to want to **** with the VA, doing things vets are NOT asking for and ignoring the things that vets have been asking for.

Hopefully, Americans will "Support the Troops" in mass and tell the VA that their plan is not what veterans want or need.

I'm going to contact my Congressional representatives and urge them to halt this boneheaded idea.

if Tweety loses, hopefully the next administration can reverse a lot of this stuff before it becomes permanent.

Active duty and veterans damned sure didn't ask for it.

People in government with no skin in the game continue to want to **** with the VA, doing things vets are NOT asking for and ignoring the things that vets have been asking for.

Hopefully, Americans will "Support the Troops" in mass and tell the VA that their plan is not what veterans want or need.

I'm going to contact my Congressional representatives and urge them to halt this boneheaded idea.

It will ALL go away if we manage to sweep both chambers in Congress and win the White House.
All of this will go away, all of it, every last shred of it, if we the people indicate that we have "HAD ENOUGH" in sufficient number.

Disabled veterans will be subjected to routine "fishing expeditions" in an effort to cut or remove compensation and disability pensions, and outsourced caseworkers will be increasingly disconnected from the disabled veterans community.

Like insurance companies, these contractors will be given economic incentives to turn people down rather than pay out.

Well you should probably look at the va compensation system to understand why they might be privatized, for one the govt system had a tendency to use any excuse to deny compensation, the private system may be to be a more fair system, or it may be the same ol same ol but with the govt blaming private companies for issues rather than having to directly answer.

For many vets I know, getting compensation can be a 2-3 year event if approved, many could leave active duty in horrible shape, fight for two years, get denied then fight for two more years just to get compensation. The va system tends to work like disability, where by default anything short of you having loss of your legs or arms is by default rejected, and it is done so in hopes those applying give up, ie keep costs down.

Well you should probably look at the va compensation system to understand why they might be privatized, for one the govt system had a tendency to use any excuse to deny compensation, the private system may be to be a more fair system, or it may be the same ol same ol but with the govt blaming private companies for issues rather than having to directly answer.

For many vets I know, getting compensation can be a 2-3 year event if approved, many could leave active duty in horrible shape, fight for two years, get denied then fight for two more years just to get compensation. The va system tends to work like disability, where by default anything short of you having loss of your legs or arms is by default rejected, and it is done so in hopes those applying give up, ie keep costs down.

I forget, you served?

I forget, you served?
us army 2009 in january to the very end of 2011, basically a hair under 3 years, then 4 years national guard in the state of texas. Was 4id in 4cab aka 4th combat aviation brigade served in afghanistan from 2010-2011 in northern afghanistan in camp marmal, also known as mazer-i-sharif, or mezerisharif, screw it even the locals are not sure how it is spelled.

us army 2009 in january to the very end of 2011, basically a hair under 3 years, then 4 years national guard in the state of texas. Was 4id in 4cab aka 4th combat aviation brigade served in afghanistan from 2-10-2011 in norther afghanistan in camp marmal, also known as mazer-i-sharif, or mezerisharif, screw it even the locals are not sure how it is spelled.

And you applied to the VA for disability?

And you applied to the VA for disability?
I actually have not yet, I probably should I use the va for service connected issues like my back and neck and nerve damage. I have known many though and it often ends up being a near auto deny first try after going through a year or two of beuracracy. From what I know from both va workers and va patients this is done on purpose hoping you will give up and never try again, it is similar to federal disability where you are near 100% guaranteed to not get approved forst time and need a lawyer to sue the govt to get disability, it is done in the hopes you will give up so they have one less person to pay out to.

I actually have not yet, I probably should I use the va for service connected issues like my back and neck and nerve damage. I have known many though and it often ends up being a near auto deny first try after going through a year or two of beuracracy. From what I know from both va workers and va patients this is done on purpose hoping you will give up and never try again, it is similar to federal disability where you are near 100% guaranteed to not get approved forst time and need a lawyer to sue the govt to get disability, it is done in the hopes you will give up so they have one less person to pay out to.

I don't get what the complaint is.
My best advice to you is to go through a VA disability law firm if you don't want to wrestle with the bureaucracy.
Congress is responsible for the VA's habit of doing it on purpose hoping you will give up and never try again, just as they are with disablity, Social Security, etc.
And you of all people should know why...they need to prove that they are protecting taxpayer money, that's why.
VA disability law firms don't get paid if they don't win. Go talk to one now, push button, get award, pay a skinny skim of the award off the top to the law firm for about a year or so.

Wife is a 100% service connected disabled Navy vet.
VA has saved her life something like eight times already and they treat her like a rock star.

KVWG2003VID.jpg

I don't get what the complaint is.
My best advice to you is to go through a VA disability law firm if you don't want to wrestle with the bureaucracy.
Congress is responsible for the VA's habit of doing it on purpose hoping you will give up and never try again, just as they are with disablity, Social Security, etc.
And you of all people should know why...they need to prove that they are protecting taxpayer money, that's why.
VA disability law firms don't get paid if they don't win. Go talk to one now, push button, get award, pay a skinny skim of the award off the top to the law firm for about a year or so.

Wife is a 100% service connected disabled Navy vet.
VA has saved her life something like eight times already and they treat her like a rock star.

View attachment 67301064
I know congress is responsible, as well as bean counters in capital hill. I mean did the va really just wake up up day and have it's director say just deny everyone for everything, answer is no, they were directed to save money any and every way possible, usually through denying claims hoping no one would put pressure on them and try again.

Now you mention law firms, some of the ones I have seen get through in record time though did not go through law firms, they talked directly to a va worker directly in charge of handling such red tape and paperwork, and they would tell them step by step how to bypass the red tape. I imagine a law firm would do the exact same thing, but a va system should not be a game of denial and hoping you give up, it should be you need it or you don't and nothing else should be in the way.

I know congress is responsible, as well as bean counters in capital hill. I mean did the va really just wake up up day and have it's director say just deny everyone for everything, answer is no, they were directed to save money any and every way possible, usually through denying claims hoping no one would put pressure on them and try again.

Now you mention law firms, some of the ones I have seen get through in record time though did not go through law firms, they talked directly to a va worker directly in charge of handling such red tape and paperwork, and they would tell them step by step how to bypass the red tape. I imagine a law firm would do the exact same thing, but a va system should not be a game of denial and hoping you give up, it should be you need it or you don't and nothing else should be in the way.

Hey, the representatives we elected did what they believed was the will of the voters.
When my brother in law applied for VA disability back in 1985 it was a lot less red tape.
Again, don't forget, the current badmouthing of the VA consists of a lot of people who don't know sh*t about the system, claiming that we're spending too much and that there is too much disability fraud.
Sound familiar? It should because it's the same bullsh*t they scream about so called "voter fraud".
We get what we deserve.
I'm telling you from personal experience for last twenty-three years with a disabled Navy veteran wife, it is tough to get enrolled and awarded but once you are in, it's awesome. They take excellent care for the most part.
I am right there with you and agree that the bureaucracy should be less adversarial.

But that doesn't mean that the quality of care is bad. It's not...it's excellent for the most part, as good as or better than private sector.
The Comp and Pen department moves as fast as it can for a severely underfunded department.
Congress can fix this one of several ways but the worst way is to use private sector PROFIT oriented services who are mandated to create even MORE of an adversarial atmosphere and which will be even MORE disconnected from the disabled veteran community.

In my humble opinion, the best SecVA we've had since my wife has been in the system is actually a George W. Bush pick, Anthony Principi.
Here is an editorial he wrote several years ago, see what you think of his opinion:

VA isn’t broken. But it’s in desperate need of change.

The things Trump is doing goes against about 90% of what Principi recommends.
The very FIRST thing Trump should have done, in his first hundred days, should have been this:

Third, consider fully integrating the health-care systems for the VA and Defense departments. The cost of running the two systems, which serve the same people at different points in their lives, now costs taxpayers more than $125 billion annually. The ongoing effort to move the health-care systems of both departments onto the same electronic medical record system is encouraging, but that is only the first step.

Did you see that? The VA and DoD systems should never have existed separately in two silos in the first place. If you're in the military or you're a veteran, you should be able to access facilities and services in either system seamlessly. That move alone would significantly increase the number of facilities a veteran can choose from, like the famous "Bethesda Naval Hospital" now known as Walter Reed Military Medical Center.

I grew up with the Bethesda Navy Hospital tower at the top of my street.
You can literally see my childhood home in the top left of this picture:

1920px-Walter_Reed_National_Military_Medical_Center.jpg

That is not a VA hospital, it's DoD and for active duty only, which is stupid.
Veterans must fight inner city DC traffic instead, to go to the Washington DC VA Medical Center.
With Principi's recommendation they would now have two facilities or more to choose from, and active duty personnel could seamlessly transition all their medical records the moment they are discharged from service.
We get exactly what we deserve.

The exam has nothing to do with "fishing expeditions" or who decides how much compensation you get. That's not done by the examiner.

Well, we will get to see pretty soon what the Biden administration will do.

With all his pie in the sky promises to his base, the cuts will have to come from some where.

Back
Top Bottom