• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

VA hospital may have infected 1,800 veterans with HIV

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I knew there was a reason to be worried about VA health care.

VA hospital may have infected 1,800 veterans with HIV - CNN.com
(CNN) -- A Missouri VA hospital is under fire because it may have exposed more than 1,800 veterans to life-threatening diseases such as hepatitis and HIV.

John Cochran VA Medical Center in St. Louis has recently mailed letters to 1,812 veterans telling them they could contract hepatitis B, hepatitis C and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) after visiting the medical center for dental work, said Rep. Russ Carnahan.

Carnahan said Tuesday he is calling for a investigation into the issue and has sent a letter to President Obama about it.

"This is absolutely unacceptable," said Carnahan, a Democrat from Missouri. "No veteran who has served and risked their life for this great nation should have to worry about their personal safety when receiving much needed healthcare services from a Veterans Administration hospital."

And this administration wants to be in charge of all health care.
I sure hope they are wrong and none have been infected.

And this administration wants to be in charge of all health care.
I sure hope they are wrong and none have been infected.

I heard that Obama was actually there telling them to wash those tools in the sink. It was all part of his evil plan to make people really sick, or in the least, really grossed out. /sarcasm

BTW Obama doesn't want to take over healthcare.

PolitiFact | Top 10 facts to know about health care reform
The plan is not a government takeover of health care like in Canada or Britain. The government will not take over hospitals or other privately run health care businesses. Doctors will not become government employees, like in Britain. And the U.S. government intends to help people buy insurance from private insurance companies, not pay all the bills like the single-payer system in Canada. The key parts of the current U.S. system -- employer-provided insurance, Medicare for the elderly, Medicaid for the poor -- would stay in place. The government would create health insurance exchanges for people who have to buy insurance on their own, so they could more easily compare plans and prices.

CNN) -- A Missouri VA hospital is under fire because it may have exposed more than 1,800 veterans to life-threatening diseases such as hepatitis and HIV. John Cochran VA Medical Center in St. Louis has recently mailed letters to 1,812 veterans telling them they could contract hepatitis B, hepatitis C and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) after visiting the medical center for dental work, said Rep. Russ Carnahan.

This particular issue is dear to me, due to the lead singer of the last band I was in contracting hep C from the VA hospital here in Houston. He went in for an operation to install plastic mesh in his stomach lining, and came out of the operation with the virus, which showed up about a year later, during a routine test.

The VA originally refused to treat him, and when a Federal judge ordered the treatment, they attempted to delay it to the point that the judge threatened the VA with contempt of court. Butch was then treated for a year with chemotherapy, which finally knocked out the virus, but due to the delays perpetuated by the VA, he only has 25% of his liver left. His lawyers are accusing the VA of attempting to let him die so that the problem would go away, and this has been in court for a number of years.

In addition, our lead guitar player had an accident, in which his wrists were crushed, just before our Europe tour was to begin. While in the VA hospital, getting metal installed in his wrists, the doctors found a spot on his lungs, and scheduled some tests. However, some bean counter in the VA canceled the tests, and 17 months later, he was diagnosed with stage 4 small cell lung cancer. That small spot had taken over part of his right lung, had gone to his lymph nodes, and also to his chest cavity. After getting a resection of his lung, and other surgery, he was given radiation and chemotherapy for 6 weeks, then was told he had about 6 months to live. After that, he got one more massive dose of radiation and chemicals, and then a miracle happened. He was cured. Lindell went through living hell, and should have died, because of a bean counter at the VA Hospital in Houston. He is pretty strong, though, and refused to die. He lives, and needless to say, he is also suing the VA.

Here is what I do not understand - People fight for our country, and then the government throws them right in the ****ing garbage. There is no excuse for that. Seriously - Heads need to roll at the VA. You do NOT treat our troops and veterans this way. It is beyond sick. It is a ****ing perversion, and those responsible need to be called to account.

Article is here

Last edited:
You're only hearing abut this because it involved a VA hospital, its sensational. These things can happen anywhere not just in a VA hospital

You're only hearing abut this because it involved a VA hospital, its sensational. These things can happen anywhere not just in a VA hospital

I disagree with you most strongly. Does the name "Walter Reed" mean anything to you?

This particular issue is dear to me, due to the lead singer of the last band I was in contracting hep C from the VA hospital here in Houston. He went in for an operation to install plastic mesh in his stomach lining, and came out of the operation with the virus, which showed up about a year later, during a routine test.

The VA originally refused to treat him, and when a Federal judge ordered the treatment, they attempted to delay it to the point that the judge threatened the VA with contempt of court. Butch was then treated for a year with chemotherapy, which finally knocked out the virus, but due to the delays perpetuated by the VA, he only has 25% of his liver left. His lawyers are accusing the VA of attempting to let him die so that the problem would go away, and this has been in court for a number of years.

In addition, our lead guitar player had an accident, in which his wrists were crushed, just before our Europe tour was to begin. While in the VA hospital, getting metal installed in his wrists, the doctors found a spot on his lungs, and scheduled some tests. However, some bean counter in the VA canceled the tests, and 17 months later, he was diagnosed with stage 4 small cell lung cancer. That small spot had taken over part of his right lung, had gone to his lymph nodes, and also to his chest cavity. After getting a resection of his lung, and other surgery, he was given radiation and chemotherapy for 6 weeks, then was told he had about 6 months to live. After that, he got one more massive dose of radiation and chemicals, and then a miracle happened. He was cured. Lindell went through living hell, and should have died, because of a bean counter at the VA Hospital in Houston. He is pretty strong, though, and refused to die. He lives, and needless to say, he is also suing the VA.

Here is what I do not understand - People fight for our country, and then the government throws them right in the ****ing garbage. There is no excuse for that. Seriously - Heads need to roll at the VA. You do NOT treat our troops and veterans this way. It is beyond sick. It is a ****ing perversion, and those responsible need to be called to account.

Article is here

Makes me wanna puke.
A disgrace.

I agree. It was already done here. Look at the times of the original posts. I beat you by half an hour. :mrgreen:

Oops, looks like I was a whole day late. Anyways, good catch, James. :)

Back
Top Bottom