• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Va ballot box chops name

Those are long names? Good thing no indian-americans are running in that area.

well, it was put like this: James H. "Jim" Webb Democrat i believe.
it got cut down to James H. "Jim"

hopefully it will not affect voting. maybe in those 3 counties where it happened he should run ads saying please vote for James H. "Jim" ?

I wonder if they can put up a sign of what the full ballots should have looked like with all of the candidates' party affiliations on them.

although if you read the article it only cuts his name off when it double checks the voter's intention. ie that always pesky question, are you sure?

It couldn't hurt since (e)very candidate on Alexandria's summary page has been affected in some way. Even if their full names appear, as is the case with Webb's Republican opponent, incumbent Sen. George F. Allen, their party affiliations have been cut off. I'd rather have the bases covered than to hear that the election was in any way unfair and one candidate complaining or recounts or whatever new drama could unfold because of this goof.

The only thing that appeases me about this is that Alexandria and Falls Church are both in Northern Virginia, and I bleieve Webb will get more votes in those districts than Allen. Charlottesville will definitely go to Webb as well.

im not sure about alexandria and falls church but more than likely charlottesville and the western sections of va will prob go for webb

I'm a software developer and I just have to say whoever wrote this ballot box software was incompetent and sloppy to let this happen.

well, it was put like this: James H. "Jim" Webb Democrat i believe.
it got cut down to James H. "Jim"
14 characters? The candidate's full name can't be more than 14 characters or it truncates the rest?? What piss-poor foresite, to have a stupid length constraint like that, and further not even realize to put the party affiliation in FRONT of the name so it won't be dropped on the floor by your own stupid logic. www.rentacoder.com for the win!

shuamort said:
I wonder if they can put up a sign of what the full ballots should have looked like with all of the candidates' party affiliations on them.

This is what we do in NY if theres a similar problem.

Back
Top Bottom