• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

V for Vendetta

T

The Real McCoy

Just got back from seeing this piece of ****. Anybody else see it? Anybody like it? I thought it was terrible. Big fan of 1984 here but this was a disappointment. Far too cheesy for me. Huge Matrix fan too, but now I've lost almost all faith in the Wachowski brothers.

Dude, your insane. That was the best movie I've seen in a long time, and it wasn't cheesy at all. You should go watch it again.

FinnMacCool said:
Dude, your insane. That was the best movie I've seen in a long time, and it wasn't cheesy at all. You should go watch it again.

Not Cheesy?

*SPOILER WARNING*

*I'M NOT KIDDING, I'LL DO IT*

*I'M SERIOUS THIS TIME, DONT READ IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW*

Let's see, V had about a dozen clips emptied into him and he stood up with relatively little effort.

He looked like ****ing Cher from behind when he wasn't wearing his hat.

The mask was ridiculously cheesy (I knew that from the previews but I still head hope)

The chancellor was captured with nearly no explanation at all.

The fighting sequences were a joke.

*END SPOILERS*

*NO MORE SPOILERS*

*SPOILERS ARE OVER*

*YOU CAN LOOK NOW*

*THIS MOVIE SUCKED*

*1984 RULES*

The Real McCoy said:
Not Cheesy?

*SPOILER WARNING*

*I'M NOT KIDDING, I'LL DO IT*

*I'M SERIOUS THIS TIME, DONT READ IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW*

Let's see, V had about a dozen clips emptied into him and he stood up with relatively little effort.

He looked like ****ing Cher from behind when he wasn't wearing his hat.

The mask was ridiculously cheesy (I knew that from the previews but I still head hope)

The chancellor was captured with nearly no explanation at all.

The fighting sequences were a joke.

*END SPOILERS*

*NO MORE SPOILERS*

*SPOILERS ARE OVER*

*YOU CAN LOOK NOW*

*THIS MOVIE SUCKED*

*1984 RULES*
There is asctually an explanation to why the chancellor was captured. . .it just occured off screen.

As to the mask, I thought it made him look really bizaree and freaky plus it had kinda a strange irony to it because it was the mask of this guy who tried to blow up parliment.

I agree with you partially about the fighting sequences but since there were only like two of them in the movie, it didn't really bother me that much and I actually rather enjoyed them. I do think some of their matrix like stuff is a little out of place.

I think that the more important thing to look at in this movie is the social commentary behind it. I did enjoy the movie very much, as it was essentially representing the destruction of capitalism/fascism through anarchist revolution.

My major issue with the movie was not that it was cheesy, but that it was overly preachy and the characters did not leave anything to the imagination. For instance, when Nathalie Portman is talking to V in his house about the actress who wrote the autobiography on toilet paper she plainly says, "Oh, so thats what this is all about, what they did to her and to you." I don't enjoy this oversimplification in movies and this movie was no exception.

There were two parts that I fould of great interest. First, at the beginning when they are talking about the "former United States" being in civil war, it made me think that the US was already engaged in the revolution and the radically right wing fascist British government was spinning it to seem bad. Secondly, I found it a good commentary on our own media when the chancellor says, "we need to show them why they need us" and the movie cuts to a news program that is just fear propaganda, which I find to be prevalent in our news here in the United States.

The Real McCoy,

Sorry, loved the movie. I can understand your complaints but I still loved it.

I thought the movie was ok, but it was hypocritically preachy. (V was railing against the government for having an 'ends justify the means' mentality which is his exact philosophy for blowing up Parliament and the killings). I've never read the comic books/graphic novels that this was based on, I wonder if the movie was true to them.

shuamort said:
I thought the movie was ok, but it was hypocritically preachy. (V was railing against the government for having an 'ends justify the means' mentality which is his exact philosophy for blowing up Parliament and the killings).

Despite insisting that his name be removed from this project, this is classic Moore. His heroes are always so flawed that it's difficult to tell where they end and his villains begin.

It's one of the things that makes his work so resonant.

V isn't just being theatrical when he refers to himself as a monster.

Didn't like it, the fighting scenes are completely unrealistic, with his knives, kinda ruined it for me.

And there was no way he could've survived the barrage of fire in the scene at the tunnel.

Haven't seen it, don't think I will. Can't stand the Wachowski's, Matrix should have been a one-hit wonder, then release the license over to comics, novels, to explore the universe, Animatrix was better than Reloaded/Revolutions. Soon as I knew they were involved in 'V' I lost interest. I'll get the original novel. Parliament going up in the trailer brought a smile to my face though.

I loved it!

Best usage of the 1812 Overture in a long while. :mrgreen:

Synch said:
Didn't like it, the fighting scenes are completely unrealistic, with his knives, kinda ruined it for me.

And there was no way he could've survived the barrage of fire in the scene at the tunnel.

This is the guy who had God knows what experiments done to him and survived. Besides...

SPOILER WARNING!
He didn't survive it for long.

Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes, twas his intent
To blow up king and parliament.
Three score barrels were laid below
To prove old England's overthrow.

By God's mercy he was catched
With a dark lantern and lighted match.
Holler boys, holler boys, let the bells ring
Holler boys, holler boys, God save the King.

"V for Vendetta" was a good movie!:lol:

180px-Fawkes_portrait.jpg

Back
Top Bottom