• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Utopia not imagined

Faramir777

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Do you think there's any merit in thinking Utopia possible if the humans who create it in the future have advanced and evolved to hold a philosophical/moral outlook on society that we can not conceive of yet?

Do you think there's any merit in thinking Utopia possible if the humans who create it in the future have advanced and evolved to hold a philosophical/moral outlook on society that we can not conceive of yet?

"... a man's reach must exceed his grasp or what's a Heaven for?"

-Robert Browning

No, humans are hardwired towards violence and brutality just like the great apes we evolved from.

No, humans have proven they cannot accomplish much of anything when they disregard their Creator...

We aren't going to reach Utopia without a LOT of evolving, and that philosophy/moral outlook will need to rationalize a lot of "population control" at a minimum.

There are plenty of people on the Earth today capable of living in harmony with each other. The problem is they are a very small minority compared to those that don't give a damn about anyone or anything except themselves. You cannot have an evolved philosophy and coal production exist at the same time anymore than you can have peace on earth when billions are made from selling weaponry. Unless the human race's next step in evolution to to actually care about the welfare of each other the earth is going to be a sh*t house in less than 100 years.

As long as Todd Rundgren is involved it's definitely possible.

"... a man's reach must exceed his grasp or what's a Heaven for?"

-Robert Browning

I suppose grasping for a heaven that's not there is reaching beyond grasp that would accomplish as well as attempting perfection that cannot be achieved.

Wassup, Faramir? How are you and Éowyn getting on?

I think if you hopped in a time machine and went forward 1000 years you would probably arrive in Utopia or something close to it. But I don't think the denizens of that time would agree with you that it was Utopia. And I think if you brought someone from 1000 years ago into the modern world, they would arrive at Utopia, even though you wouldn't agree with them that it is Utopia.

I think if you hopped in a time machine and went forward 1000 years you would probably arrive in Utopia or something close to it. But I don't think the denizens of that time would agree with you that it was Utopia. And I think if you brought someone from 1000 years ago into the modern world, they would arrive at Utopia, even though you wouldn't agree with them that it is Utopia.
With all due respect, in FAR less than 1000 years we're all gonna be dead from global warming...and Covid...and racism

With all due respect, in FAR less than 1000 years we're all gonna be dead from global warming...and Covid...and racism
The human species isn't going anywhere. Progress is inevitable. There will be bumps on the road, and the occasional one step backward for every two steps forward, but the future is bright for humanity. And their short lives and lack of perspective will ensure that they won't appreciate it any more than we do today.

The human species isn't going anywhere. Progress is inevitable. There will be bumps on the road, and the occasional one step backward for every two steps forward, but the future is bright for humanity. And their short lives and lack of perspective will ensure that they won't appreciate it any more than we do today.
Hmm...I don't know about that. I've spent a lot of time being educated by the best and brightest that DP has to offer on these matters and they all tell me that the end is nigh...unless we get rid of Trump and his supporters.

Hmm...I don't know about that. I've spent a lot of time being educated by the best and brightest that DP has to offer on these matters and they all tell me that the end is nigh...unless we get rid of Trump and his supporters.
You shouldn't believe everything you hear on the internet.

We grow through conflict. A utopian society would by definition be a static society. There is no change so there is no growth. In other words a utopian society is a dead society.

We grow through conflict. A utopian society would by definition be a static society. There is no change so there is no growth. In other words a utopian society is a dead society.
Why don't we try it for a while.

I seriously doubt that a Utopia will ever happen for the human race unless it will be a huge profit for a few greedy corporations/people.

Utopia demands that abundance be so abundant that nobody is ever in want or need of anything. However, people are people.

The trouble is that no matter how much is provided, most want more.

If people are provided food, but nobody to prepare it, they will complain.

If they are provided prepared food, they will complain of the variety or quality or both.

If they are provided prepared food of the widest variety and highest quality, they will complain that the venue where it is served is not convenient.

If the venue is absolutely convenient serving the widest variety of the highest quality foods, they will complain that their absolutely convenient venue is not as absolutely convenient as the venue of a hated and envied rival.

People are people.

Define utopia.

Isn't this it? (As John Lennon said when asked by a smartass reporter what he thought was utopia).

I suppose grasping for a heaven that's not there is reaching beyond grasp that would accomplish as well as attempting perfection that cannot be achieved.

Perfection, like Heaven, is not a thing that mortal men can attain.

Perfection, like Heaven, is not a thing that mortal men can attain.
I agree. But I think God has higher hopes for us than what we have. I also believe what we have in America now is in itself an amazing accomplishment for mankind. All these different people with different viewpoints and different passions but really in the end making it all work.

Back
Top Bottom