• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Utah's new DUI law, strictest in the nation, set to be implemented ahead of New Year's Eve

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
https://www.foxnews.com/us/utahs-new-dui-law-strictest-in-the-nation-set-to-be-implemented-ahead-of-new-years-eve

“When we look at the fatal crashes, if you have between .05 and .79 [BAC], you’re seven times more likely to be in a fatal crash,” Dr. Bella Dinh-Zarr, vice chair of the National Transportation Safety Board has said.

No kidding? You're more likely to be in a crash if your BAC is between .05 and .79? Well, at .79 you're very much unlikely to be in a crash because you'll probably be dead from alcohol poisoning.

In my experience, at .05 the drinker is showing only the slightest signs that they have been drinking. They've got a little bit of a buzz going and that's about it. It isn't really until someone gets to a little over .1 that they begin showing obvious signs of intoxication and it isn't until around .15 that you start to get into "stupid" drunk. I have no idea where this woman came up with .79 as that's dead twice over.

As far as the .05 for a DUI in Utah, more power to them. I don't know that it will save many more lives as most drunks don't care whether they're driving or not but maybe it will convince some kids to grab an Uber instead of their car keys on party night.

Boo..

Utopia is going to have some major suckage.....too much enforced by power clean living.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/utahs-new-dui-law-strictest-in-the-nation-set-to-be-implemented-ahead-of-new-years-eve

No kidding? You're more likely to be in a crash if your BAC is between .05 and .79? Well, at .79 you're very much unlikely to be in a crash because you'll probably be dead from alcohol poisoning.

In my experience, at .05 the drinker is showing only the slightest signs that they have been drinking. They've got a little bit of a buzz going and that's about it. It isn't really until someone gets to a little over .1 that they begin showing obvious signs of intoxication and it isn't until around .15 that you start to get into "stupid" drunk. I have no idea where this woman came up with .79 as that's dead twice over.

As far as the .05 for a DUI in Utah, more power to them. I don't know that it will save many more lives as most drunks don't care whether they're driving or not but maybe it will convince some kids to grab an Uber instead of their car keys on party night.

I am all for it. All United States DUI laws should resemble the Swedes. Most drunk driving laws in other countries call for prison time and license revocation for the second offense if it serious or the cause of an accident. Here in the USA, there are people on the road with licenses who have as much as ten DUI's in their past history.

Drunk or drug impaired driving is a serious offense and people who insist on repeatedly driving impaired need to lose their driving privileges permanently, or for a period of at least five years at the minimum.

I was a world class CRACK ADDICT and I never drove impaired at any time in my entire life. I just refused to do it, period.

From what I was told by a former Marine friend of mine, in Japan the DUI limit is .03. That's pretty much one beer.

I am all for it. All United States DUI laws should resemble the Swedes. Most drunk driving laws in other countries call for prison time and license revocation for the second offense if it serious or the cause of an accident. Here in the USA, there are people on the road with licenses who have as much as ten DUI's in their past history.

Drunk or drug impaired driving is a serious offense and people who insist on repeatedly driving impaired need to lose their driving privileges permanently, or for a period of at least five years at the minimum.

I was a world class CRACK ADDICT and I never drove impaired at any time in my entire life. I just refused to do it, period.

I'd be very surprised if there was anyone with 10 DUIs that still had a legal license.

Oh my god shut up

I used to drive drunk all the time, stoned too sometimes, it was a skill to be learned......good men learned it. I never got into an accident, and I never got caught, because I learned how to do it. Once I had a rented T-Bird Muscle Car, I was in Rockford see and I got idea that The Wife and I should go to this Mexican restaurant that I had heard about across the Indiana state line........it was in that city that the South Shore Interurban ran to...I dont remember the name but I do remember that the place specialized in the hugist chimichangas most anyone has ever seen......well I drank maybe four Beefeaters and olives and smoked a joint before we left, and The Wife and I drank several pitchers of margaritas while we were there (They dont seem to do pitchers anymore, it's been a long time since I have seen one of them) and I'll tell you what, I was feeling no pain on the drive back.

I dont do that anymore, I am so out of practice that I might mess up.

I used to drive drunk all the time, stoned too sometimes, it was a skill to be learned......good men learned it. I never got into an accident, and I never got caught, because I learned how to do it. Once I had a rented T-Bird Muscle Car, I was in Rockford see and I got idea that The Wife and I should go to this Mexican restaurant that I had heard about across the Indiana state line........it was in that city that the South Shore Interurban ran to...I dont remember the name but I do remember that the place specialized in the hugist chimichangas most anyone has ever seen......well I drank maybe four Beefeaters and olives and smoked a joint before we left, and The Wife and I drank several pitchers of margaritas while we were there (They dont seem to do pitchers anymore, it's been a long time since I have seen one of them) and I'll tell you what, I was feeling no pain on the drive back.

I dont do that anymore, I am so out of practice that I might mess up.

I really hate you.

As the article points out, Utah making this move is not a surprise.

For the most part I agree that the move from .08 to .05 is not going to all of a sudden show a large jump in the number of DUIs actually issued, as it is unlikely that outside of checkpoints or accidents there will be much opportunity to catch someone at .05. I suspect the real intention of the law was to promote what they are already reporting, an uptick in the use of ride shares or Uber or the like.

It brings attention to the issue of driving impaired and that is not a bad thing. By the numbers we are still seeing a trend decline in DUI related deaths, but we still see that on average something like 30 are dead per day across this nation from this.

I will agree that the “.79” part of that comment was... WTF.

The Utah state legislature is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. No surprise.

That said, I don’t know I oppose it. I only drink at home before I Go to bed. Glass of Whiskey with a cigar. I never drive after drinking so it doesn’t affect me

Boo..

Utopia is going to have some major suckage.....too much enforced by power clean living.

Tell a family member boo who has lost a loved one to a drunk driver. Drink all you want but don't
drive while doing it.

Congrats to Utah. Impaired drivers should not be on the road period.
Even slightly impaired.

Tell a family member boo who has lost a loved one to a drunk driver. Drink all you want but don't
drive while doing it.

Let's not be getting hasty now....... that is the same argument that will be used for making the limit .00.......where the Kill Joys intend to go.

After driver-less cars get here maybe I will change my mind.

Last edited:
I don't think the level of alcohol matters much. If you are below the limit, they still arrest you on a DWI so it has the same end result.

I have no sympathy for people who drive under the influense. Lock them up for life on the first offence for all I care. It you aren't stone cold sober, don't get behind the wheel.

Its a tough issue. I oughta be able to have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner, when I'm on a night out with the wife.

However, everyone responds to alcohol differently. And drunk driving is dangerous to all involved.

Its not perfect...but I think this is the best solution to try to address the problem.

It's called the "relevant range". I appreciate that someone had the statistical wherewithal to state one. When a relative of mine was a cop, he once arrested a guy for .52 BAC.

I'm a lifelong teetotaler and still think this is mainly designed for "enforcement for profit".

I have no sympathy for people who drive under the influense. Lock them up for life on the first offence for all I care. It you aren't stone cold sober, don't get behind the wheel.

You say that until one day you use an old beer can from the trash to prime a faulty carburetor and get charged with an open container offense because you decided to save the can for next time.

Let's not be getting hasty now....... that is the same argument that will be used for making the limit .00.......where the Kill Joys intend to go.

After driver-less cars get here maybe I will change my mind.

No one should be drinking and driving! Period!!

Instead of blowing into a straw every 30 minutes to keep the vehicle running, maybe do a retina scan to be able to start it that’ll see the blood shot eyes and match the vehicle to the owner. Just saw some blurb where a country did the national vote with retina scanning. Oh yeah. Mandate blood alcohol testing for every accident no matter how minor and break the persons kneecaps if they fail it.

.79 is probably meant to be 0.079 ~ 0.08

That would make even less sense. That would mean excluding someone with a .10 BAC from the statistics. It could very well be that the BAC was measured for a population of vehicle crashes and one was measured at .79 . It would have to be a chronic alcoholic whose BAC rose until succumbing to alcohol poisoning. However, it says it measured FATAL crashes. Blood alcohol content can be measured on the dead.

If you want to split hairs, one could argue that some of the deaths might have been caused by alcohol poisoning and not drunk driving.

It seems the highest BAC ever recorded was 1.48%

https://guardianinterlock.com/blog/highest-blood-alcohol-concentration-ever-recorded/

There are a lot of reasons to be concerned about some people’s level of intoxication, especially considering that there have been documented cases where someone registered a BAC that’s past the lethal level of .40 and they’ve lived to tell the tale. But when it comes to BAC, .40 is just the tip of the iceberg. Here are a few cases where people are over 1.0 and higher.

1.024 BAC
It was -10 degrees outside in the middle of a chilly Polish winter, but police found a Polish man asleep and half naked out on the streets. When he was given a breathalyzer, he registered a whopping 1.024%. There’s no word on whether he woke up from his chilly sleep, but that’s beyond the lethal BAC of .40.

1.400 BAC
After one Californian woman was found dead, they measured her blood alcohol concentration during her autopsy. It registered as 1.400, and her official cause of death was organ failure.

1.480 BAC
After a car crash that resulted in serious injuries, a Polish man’s BAC was taken and it was 1.480%. That’s the highest BAC ever recorded in known history. Doctors said he survived his brush with death due to drinking, but he later died due to his injuries from the car crash.

How did these people end up with BAC so high? Binge drinking seems to be the culprit, with people consuming mass quantities of alcohol within a small time frame. If you do that, the alcohol can hit you like a ton of bricks, and your BAC can escalate from 0 to lethal in no time at all.

Last edited:

Ahhh yes, another cause for the self-righteous neo-puritans, never happy knowing that someone, somewhere, might be enjoying themselves with a glass of wine. The missionary zealotry of do-goodism demands that crusader is never happy, always looking for a new way to ratchet down on the commoner pleasures in life.

Naturally few question the "good intentions" of moralists, so most suffer in morally disarmed silence. "Good intentions" and demonization of the villainous drink and driver grant immunity to criticism, no matter how stupid, punitive, or ineffective the law.

What is repeatedly ignored, in the interests of self-righteousness, is that the there is NOTHING WRONG with driving with a blood alcohol content of any particular amount. What is wrong is driving with some undefined level of impairment, regardless of test results.

Impairment causes accidents. Be the impairment be due to age, poor coordination, drugs, alcohol, natural recklessness, and other causes ARE the only valid criteria for punishing or restricting driving. Some people are impaired at extremely low levels of alcohol, others are capable of high levels without serious impairment.

A fair law would test impairment - and if you can't pass an impairment test due to any reason (including age or disability) then repress the driver. If, on the other hand, the driver is at least as competent as that of the minimum standard (say the same as a typical 70 year old driver) then no harm, no foul.

The crusade against the simple pleasures of a glass of wine or two, and the persecution of competent drivers is absurd and unacceptable in a free country.

What was Bon Scott’s BAC?

Back
Top Bottom