• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Utah Bans Transition Care for Transgender Youth

I thought Spencer Cox was better than this. Here's my "hot take" on the subject matter:

1. People should ideally wait until they are 21 years old to transition to whatever sex they want to be. That's just my personal view. I know there are plenty of transgenders who agree with that. Lets keep in mind, medical transition costs MONEY. Tons of it. You really need a support system and a pathway to success. It also does tremendous damage to your body and fertility. Such decisions should be made when the brain is fully developed and mature.

2. It is completely bone-headed to BAN such procedure for minors. From what I hear, these are life-and-death situations. Gender dysphoria can lead to suicide, depression and self-harm. It is makes zero sense to ban something every single professional medical and psychological societies recommends. Perhaps a better idea is to increase oversight on the issue.

3. The people who support these bans seem to be in favor of something called "parental rights bills". As in, the parents should have more rights over their children than the current laws dictate. In this situation, we have the medical and psychological doctors, the patient, and the parents consenting to early tradition. But in the minds of these people, the government should override the wishes of the doctors, patient, and parents. Irony, right?
Mutilating their bodies, and giving them harmful puberty blockers is not the correct treatment for their mental illness. It is harmful, and irreversible.

Utah Bans Transition Care for Transgender Youth (NYT, Subscription)​

Gov. Spencer Cox of Utah signed a bill on Saturday that blocks minors from receiving gender-transition health care, the first such measure in the country this year in what is expected to be a wave of legislation by state lawmakers to restrict transgender rights.

The law prohibits transgender youth in the state from receiving gender-affirming surgery and places an indefinite ban on hormone therapy, with limited exceptions.

Mr. Cox, a Republican, said in a statement that banning these treatments was necessary until more research could be done on their long-term effects.

“While we understand our words will be of little comfort to those who disagree with us, we sincerely hope that we can treat our transgender families with more love and respect as we work to better understand the science and consequences behind these procedures,” the governor said.

Once again, a State ignores medical science (yes, I know they claim not to), the wishes of parents (so much for "family values") and pushes to harm a significant part of the US population as political theater. I expect this will be struck down in short order. The Supreme Court - particularly the "conservatives" - have long pushed the fundamental interest of parents in the care and raising of children:

"The liberty interest at issue in this case-the interest of parents in the care, custody, and control of their childrenis perhaps the oldest of the fundamental liberty interests recognized by this Court. More than 75 years ago, in Meyer v. Nebraska, 262 U. S. 390, 399, 401 (1923), we held that the "liberty" protected by the Due Process Clause includes the right of parents to "establish a home and bring up children" and "to control the education of their own." Two years later, in Pierce v. Society of Sisters, 268 U. S. 510, 534-535 (1925), we again held that the "liberty of parents and guardians" includes the right "to direct the upbringing and education of children under their control." We explained in Pierce that "[t]he child is not the mere creature of the State; those who nurture him and direct his destiny have the right, coupled with the high duty, to recognize and prepare him for additional obligations." Id., at 535. We returned to the subject in Prince v. Massachusetts, 321 U. S. 158 (1944), and again confirmed that there is a constitutional dimension to the right of parents to direct the upbringing of their children. "It is cardinal with us that the custody, care and nurture of the child reside first in the parents, whose primary function and freedom include preparation for obligations the state can neither supply nor hinder." Id., at 166.

Continued.

I'm OK with that, minor children certainly should not be undergoing such procedures or drug cocktails IMO, this is elective surgery that they can elect to have as adults. Any parent that would consent to their minor child undergoing such drastic elective surgery at such an age arent thinking clearly IMO. Give them a big old set of knockers too at age 14 if thats what they want right?

I have tattoos that I regret, sure am glad I didnt have my weenie lopped off. That would certainly have been unfortunate.:cry:

I'm going back to basics for a moment. Would we deny treatment to a child who broke a leg? How about a child who suffers from a disease? How about a child who suffers anxiety - are we going to say "wait until you're an adult"? We're singling out one segment of society for disparate treatment. You know what that's called? Yes, discrimination.

It would be helpful, if you did research here.

Medical transition can begin at age 12. 16 for hormone replacement therapy. This all happens under parental supervisor.
and is child abuse. As has been pointed out, 80% of these confused kids outgrow their "dysphoria" in adulthood. So mutilating their bodies or giving them harmful and irreversible hormone blockers makes absolutely no sense.

I'm going back to basics for a moment. Would we deny treatment to a child who broke a leg? How about a child who suffers from a disease? How about a child who suffers anxiety - are we going to say "wait until you're an adult"? We're singling out one segment of society for disparate treatment. You know what that's called? Yes, discrimination.
They deserve the best psychiatric treatment available

Yes, denied treatment. Forced to live with dysphoria. That is the actual topic of the thread.
Irreversible body mutilation, and harmful hormone blockers are not appropriate treatments for children.

and is child abuse. As has been pointed out, 80% of these confused kids outgrow their "dysphoria" in adulthood. So mutilating their bodies or giving them harmful and irreversible hormone blockers makes absolutely no sense.
Can you say more about that? Are you saying that 80% of them change their minds? If so, got any data to support that?

They deserve the best psychiatric treatment available
And the best treatment includes medical treatment to address the underlying condition, yes?

So, we're going to tell a hyperactive child to "chill", and forego medication, even though that medication would address the underlying condition, right? Or make sure a diabetic child gets weight loss counseling, but not insulin, because they are not mature enough to make that decision.

And the best treatment includes medical treatment to address the underlying condition, yes?

So, we're going to tell a hyperactive child to "chill", and forego medication, even though that medication would address the underlying condition, right? Or make sure a diabetic child gets weight loss counseling, but not insulin, because they are not mature enough to make that decision.
I disagree. So do many doctors

No doubt the idiot right will continue to do shit like this while continuing to claim some version of "small government."
You advocate for grooming children to a sick leftist agenda...I advocate that you not be allowed to mutilate and sterilize children.

We arent the same.

I'm going back to basics for a moment. Would we deny treatment to a child who broke a leg?
A broken leg is an actual medical condition. Mental illness requires therapy, and sometimes medication. Irreversible mutilation and harmful hormones in children are not treatment.
How about a child who suffers from a disease? How about a child who suffers anxiety - are we going to say "wait until you're an adult"? We're singling out one segment of society for disparate treatment. You know what that's called? Yes, discrimination.
The treatments for these conditions are not harmful. Body mutilation and harmful hormones, are.

Can you say more about that? Are you saying that 80% of them change their minds? If so, got any data to support that?
80% of children experiencing gender dysphoria no longer experience it in adulthood. On page 1 the scientific literature was shown supporting that.

80% of children experiencing gender dysphoria no longer experience it in adulthood. On page 1 the scientific literature was shown supporting that.
That's because they transitioned. See how that works?

Mutilating their bodies, and giving them harmful puberty blockers is not the correct treatment for their mental illness. It is harmful, and irreversible.
Why do you know better than all of our professional medical and psychological societies? Do you treat patients with gender dysphoria?

Why do you know better than all of our professional medical and psychological societies? Do you treat patients with gender dysphoria?
These societies have been wrong in the past

Back
Top Bottom