• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Utah Bans Transition Care for Transgender Youth

Can anyone properly summarize what the bill does without a paywall? The link in the OP requires a subscription.

I feel like increasingly LGBT people are being targeted by newly elected Republican legislatures in response to the left going hyper-woke regarding the issue. I'm tired of both sides using the LGBT community as their pawns to push extreme agendas.

Watch out

The TG are coming for your Book of Mormon

Aka as book of BS

Utah Bans Transition Care for Transgender Youth (NYT, Subscription)​

Gov. Spencer Cox of Utah signed a bill on Saturday that blocks minors from receiving gender-transition health care, the first such measure in the country this year in what is expected to be a wave of legislation by state lawmakers to restrict transgender rights.
I thought Spencer Cox was better than this. Here's my "hot take" on the subject matter:

1. People should ideally wait until they are 21 years old to transition to whatever sex they want to be. That's just my personal view. I know there are plenty of transgenders who agree with that. Lets keep in mind, medical transition costs MONEY. Tons of it. You really need a support system and a pathway to success. It also does tremendous damage to your body and fertility. Such decisions should be made when the brain is fully developed and mature.

2. It is completely bone-headed to BAN such procedure for minors. From what I hear, these are life-and-death situations. Gender dysphoria can lead to suicide, depression and self-harm. It is makes zero sense to ban something every single professional medical and psychological societies recommends. Perhaps a better idea is to increase oversight on the issue.

3. The people who support these bans seem to be in favor of something called "parental rights bills". As in, the parents should have more rights over their children than the current laws dictate. In this situation, we have the medical and psychological doctors, the patient, and the parents consenting to early tradition. But in the minds of these people, the government should override the wishes of the doctors, patient, and parents. Irony, right?

The rightwing attack on all things sexually-associated is getting awfully fascist in its scope, from dictating one version of family values unrelated to the interests of the family or values, to dictating how candy is marketed. No acknowledgement that 10% or so of the population does not identify as "heterosexual" or that gender dysphoria even exists. It is of a piece, though, of the general dismissal of scientific thought among adherents.
It is now fascist to prevent doctors from experimenting on children??? Obviously, you know nothing of history and even less about fascism. Yet here you are leading the debate. Only at DP....

I thought Spencer Cox was better than this. Here's my "hot take" on the subject matter:

1. People should ideally wait until they are 21 years old to transition to whatever sex they want to be. That's just my personal view. I know there are plenty of transgenders who agree with that. Lets keep in mind, medical transition costs MONEY. Tons of it. You really need a support system and a pathway to success. It also does tremendous damage to your body and fertility. Such decisions should be made when the brain is fully developed and mature.

2. It is completely bone-headed to BAN such procedure for minors. From what I hear, these are life-and-death situations. Gender dysphoria can lead to suicide, depression and self-harm. It is makes zero sense to ban something every single professional medical and psychological societies recommends. Perhaps a better idea is to increase oversight on the issue.

3. The people who support these bans seem to be in favor of something called "parental rights bills". As in, the parents should have more rights over their children than the current laws dictate. In this situation, we have the medical and psychological doctors, the patient, and the parents consenting to early tradition. But in the minds of these people, the government should override the wishes of the doctors, patient, and parents. Irony, right?
Because doctors get it wrong sometimes

Make children suffer psychological distress for reasons?
What about the psychological distress of having undergone medical transition procedures as child only to realize as an adult that it was the wrong decision? And what age would you like to begin these experiments of yours on children?

The Senate voted 20-8 to pass SB16. Two Republicans, Sen. David Hinkins, R-Ferron, and Sen. Todd Weiler, R-Woods Cross, joined Democrats in voting against the bill. Sen. Daniel Thatcher, R-West Valley City, who voted against the bill in earlier Senate votes, was not present for Friday’s final vote.

The vote comes less than 24 hours after the House made changes and voted to approve its version of SB16, which implemented what LGBTQ advocates have called a “de facto ban” on not just surgeries but also hormonal treatments,

“The House had its way with this bill,” Kennedy acknowledged on the Senate floor, but he argued in favor of agreeing with the changes to get the bill across the finish line even if it’s “not a perfect piece of legislation.”

Lawmakers give final legislative approval to ban on transgender surgeries, cross-sex hormones for kids (Deseret News)​

More at:

Utah's governor has signed a bill banning gender-affirming care for transgender youth (npr)​

Because doctors get it wrong sometimes
Key word. Only a small portion of transgenders detransition. Most of them did for financial and social pressure reasons. You get the best results, when the patient is open and honest with the medical and psychological professionals. I have no issue with increased oversight, but you're essentially arguing that the government should interfering into private medical matters. This is where the whole thing becomes obviously unconstitutional.

What about the psychological distress of having undergone medical transition procedures as child only to realize as an adult that it was the wrong decision? And what age would you like to begin these experiments of yours on children?
It would be helpful, if you did research here.

Medical transition can begin at age 12. 16 for hormone replacement therapy. This all happens under parental supervisor.

Medical transition can begin at age 12. 16 for hormone replacement therapy. This all happens under parental supervisor.
12. That's awful

That didnt answer my question.

Back
Top Bottom