• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

USSC Unanimously Reverses New Hampshire Abortion Ruling

Scarecrow Akhbar

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[url="http://washtimes.com/national/20060119-121204-1431r.htm]Rejects Lower Court Blanket Dismissal of An Abortion Law[/url]
The Supreme Court ruled unanimously yesterday that lower courts erred when declaring New Hampshire's parental-notification abortion law unconstitutional, saying only portions of the law pertaining to medical emergencies warranted review.
Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, writing for all nine justices, said states "unquestionably have the right to require parental involvement" when a minor has an abortion, and sent the case back to the federal appeals level for further hearings.
"Lower courts need not have invalidated the law wholesale," she said, adding that "only a few applications" of New Hampshire's parental-notification law "present a constitutional problem."
New Hampshire's 2003 law also included provisions such as requiring abortionists to notify at least one parent 48 hours before performing the procedure, and the justices said lower courts erred in striking down those measures over the medical emergency issue.

So, the US Supreme Court has decided that yes, states can require minors to get parental permission before getting an abortion.

And who says there ain't no Santa Clause?

Sounds like "Common sense" legislation to me.

Technically they didn't reverse the lower court's decision. They just sent it back to the lower court to reconsider it, and the lower court will most likely reach the same conclusion it reached before.

Sounds right to me. A school has to get parental permission to give a child an aspirin. An abortion clinic should have to do the same, at the very least.

KCConservative said:
Sounds right to me. A school has to get parental permission to give a child an aspirin. An abortion clinic should have to do the same, at the very least.

An aspirin doesn't give a kickback to the DNC for every headache.

Most abortion providers contribute heavily. Thus one reason for the Left's frantic insistence that any control on abortion is too much.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
An aspirin doesn't give a kickback to the DNC for every headache.

Most abortion providers contribute heavily. Thus one reason for the Left's frantic insistence that any control on abortion is too much.

But from what I heard, the USSC sent it back to the court, because the lower court made too sweeping a judgement by striking it down all together. Many that I have heard speak on the issue, believe if there were an exception in cases dealing with health of the mother, nothing could be fought within the bill. Parental permission is a given. However, I am a proponent of the legislation Bob Casey Sr, a pro life Democrat, got in place here in PA many moons ago (when there seemed to be good politics here LOL ) Anyway, parental permission was required, and when permission couldn't be granted, it could then be taken before a court, only if there were extenuating circumstances... the child was a ward of the court (in foster care) or the child's health was in long term danger (not immediate, as there usually isn't enough time to get the courts involved in immediate cases). AT one point, I thought i'd remembered hearing that a child could take her case before the court, if her parents were so against the notion, that they kicked her out of her home.. but upon research, I couldn't find it anywhere, so maybe I heard wrong.

Back
Top Bottom