• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

USS Ronald Reagan docks in Hong Kong amid military tensions

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/uss-ronald-reagan-docks-hong-kong-amid-military-tensions-n938816

Beijing has demanded the U.S. cease military activity of all kind near its South China Sea island claims that it has been rapidly fortifying.

HONG KONG — A U.S. aircraft carrier docked in Hong Kong on Wednesday, days after a pair of American B-52 bombers flew over the disputed South China Sea.

The arrival of the USS Ronald Reagan and its battle group in the Asian financial hub comes after China rejected a similar request by another U.S. Navy ship amid a spike in tensions between the countries' militaries.
=====================================
Great port call for the thousands of U.S. sailors. Interesting extension of cooperation after rising tensions in the South China Sea.

Is Glenn Marine Group still “servicing the fleet?’

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/uss-ronald-reagan-docks-hong-kong-amid-military-tensions-n938816

Beijing has demanded the U.S. cease military activity of all kind near its South China Sea island claims that it has been rapidly fortifying.

HONG KONG — A U.S. aircraft carrier docked in Hong Kong on Wednesday, days after a pair of American B-52 bombers flew over the disputed South China Sea.

The arrival of the USS Ronald Reagan and its battle group in the Asian financial hub comes after China rejected a similar request by another U.S. Navy ship amid a spike in tensions between the countries' militaries.
Great port call for the thousands of U.S. sailors. Interesting extension of cooperation after rising tensions in the South China Sea.

China uses both the carrots and the sticks.

The USA needs to start building islands in the area too... much easier for us to attack them when it comes to it.

Great post visit for the sailors of the battle group. A few days stand down is always welcome.

I guess they finally successfully decontaminated the USS Reagan after its tour to Fukushima. Too bad the sailors aboard weren't as successful.

China uses both the carrots and the sticks.

Still don't know left from right all the same.

Xi and Trump will meet in Argentina this week during the G-20. Xi needs an end of the trade war before the Party trades Xi in for a new model leader.

CCP economy has been slowing the past several years which will only continue. We're talking gdp growth of 2% to 4% at best. College grads are working as hotel doormen cause there aren't any jobs. The population wants CCP to put money into the economy not frigates and new engines for fighter jets that still need updrafts. They steal technology they still don't know how to apply.

Still don't know left from right all the same.

Xi and Trump will meet in Argentina this week during the G-20. Xi needs an end of the trade war before the Party trades Xi in for a new model leader.

CCP economy has been slowing the past several years which will only continue. We're talking gdp growth of 2% to 4% at best. College grads are working as hotel doormen cause there aren't any jobs. The population wants CCP to put money into the economy not frigates and new engines for fighter jets that still need updrafts. They steal technology they still don't know how to apply.

Your comment was a fair assessment until the last line

China has more than enough educated and capable engineers hence the success of their rapid military modernization.

Your comment was a fair assessment until the last line

China has more than enough educated and capable engineers hence the success of their rapid military modernization.

My statement is one of a couple of things I said while there were 101 thingys I didn't say. One thing I said is that the Chinese steal technology and they steal it massively.

I also said they have limited success applying technologies. Nobody knows if their military technology works to the extent needed or as effectively as necessary. First and foremost among the unsure are the Chinese themselves. The DF-26 antiship ballistic missile is one of several: the CM-401, YJ-12E (CM-302); and the C602, C802A/CM-802B and C705 subsonic anti-ship missile. The H-6J is another ASBM that's launched from a bomber plane which is quite a feat, or would be if it hit anything.

CCP Boyz in Beijing haven't ever tested their antiship missile at sea. As I'd said, the Chinese aren't known for applying technologies well. They test 'em over inland waters. Then they pick up the pieces. To paraphrase, the Chinese PR machine makes Stalin's look modest and humble.

The Chinese struggle to apply new technologies has gone on since the 15th century at the least when Europe began a serious scientific revolution and China began to fade into the shadows to emerge only recently. I'll spare you a listing of the 101 things I didn't say, such as what I said in this post just now.

(Yes, and I know people said in 1940 that the Japanese needed glasses.)

Rapid does not mean effective.

Most who actually look at this "modernization" do so largely in puzzlement. Simply because it largely does not make sense.

You have scores of projects that are years or decades behind schedule. You have several tank designs that were abandoned, and their main tank in service is still the Type 59 (a locally made Soviet T-54). This is the iconic tank seen being faced down by Tank Man.

pc-140604-tankman-02_cd24e42c1227d673240e0b096181d84b.1200;630;7;70;5.jpg

Every other country has largely settled on 1 main tank, 2 if one is being phased out while another is introduced. China still uses 6 different MBTs. The Type 59, Type 69. Type 88, Type 96, Type 99, and the MBT 3000.

Their Navy is still not capable of operating as a fleet, it is more like an up-gunned Coast Guard in operation. They develop some weapon and scream that it will never be defeated, do a static test against a stationary land target then say it is finished.

Myself, I still do not worry about China all that much. Their equipment is either outdated or questionable, their logistics and actual capabilities are highly dubious, and they have not had to face an enemy other than their own people in decades. Their last major conflict was over 60 years ago. In it they and their allies outnumbered their opponent by almost 2 to 1, entered with an overwhelming surprise attack, and still lost. And got a huge chunk of their "Liberation Army" eliminated in the process.

And in closing, their engineers are not all that "capable". If that was so, then they would not be stealing and painting over so many foreign designs in almost everything they make. I have seen the reviews of Chinese cars (whose made 100% domestically and not based off of imported plans), Chinese Airplanes, Chinese cell phones, and almost everything else. Almost universally, what they do is manufacture or make slight modifications to things designed elsewhere. Sure, they assemble the iPhone, but they did not design the iPhone.

Yea, they make the Geely Panda, a thinly disguised copy of the Toyota Aygo. Pretty much every Haval (H1 through H9) is a thinly disguised Toyota Vitz (sold in the US-Canada as the Echo).

But this is to be expected. Communist countries seem to have a real problem when it comes to being innovative. Easier to simply take an idea from another than to come up with their own designs.

Back
Top Bottom