• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Using Apple AirTags for anti theft device

Minerva

Of the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I'm thinking of getting some Apple AirTags and setting the up, one each for my truck and my wife's car and then two others to be attached to my scuba gear when I travel and my wife's camera gear when she travels.
Has any member used Apple brand AirTags in this manner and how has it worked for you.

Our vehicles are parked in a driveway at our house so we are near them most of the time. I understand that the AT will start beeping after a bit of time if they cannot connect to their host phone. How has this feature impacted you?

Any other thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

I'm thinking of getting some Apple AirTags and setting the up, one each for my truck and my wife's car and then two others to be attached to my scuba gear when I travel and my wife's camera gear when she travels.
Has any member used Apple brand AirTags in this manner and how has it worked for you.

Our vehicles are parked in a driveway at our house so we are near them most of the time. I understand that the AT will start beeping after a bit of time if they cannot connect to their host phone. How has this feature impacted you?

I don’t use them on my car - but when we go to crowded beaches, amusement parks, etc I put one on my son.

That way, if we get separated, it will show me his location.

It’s really convenient and comes in handy if we get separated - which has happened when he’s gone to ride a ride with an older cousin while I stand in line to get food, etc.

If they get X distance from the “home phone” you’ll get an alert. You can simply dismiss/ignore it.

I also keep one in my wallet. That’s helped me a couple times because I’ve left my purse behind places (ADHD, I’d leave my head behind if it wasn’t attached, I swear it!) and the AirTag will notify me as well as provide the location (address).

Super easy to set them up and their batteries last forever. Plus, they’re pretty cheap.

My rescue dog is as deaf as a stone. She likes to go outside and play, and can’t hear us when we call her back. We don’t allow her to run around free, mind you, but she’s playful and sometimes gets loose from her leash.

The Apple AirTag works perfectly for us and I love how easy it is to keep up with its location.

C6C706CF-C34C-42DC-86FD-3B0E7F231805.jpeg

A08F638E-9B82-401F-9C34-DB2C429D9F7A.jpeg

My rescue dog is as deaf as a stone. She likes to go outside and play, and can’t hear us when we call her back. We don’t allow her to run around free, mind you, but she’s playful and sometimes gets loose from her leash.

The Apple AirTag works perfectly for us and I love how easy it is to keep up with its location.

View attachment 67426804

View attachment 67426805
I have friends that do this with their dog who is an escape artist!

It’s wonderful! Plus we have her tag with all her info on it. She’s also microchipped. That’s our little buddy. 🥰
She's pretty! What kind of dog is she? Looks like maybe she has some Jack Russel type terrier in her.

I don’t use them on my car - but when we go to crowded beaches, amusement parks, etc I put one on my son.

That way, if we get separated, it will show me his location.

It’s really convenient and comes in handy if we get separated - which has happened when he’s gone to ride a ride with an older cousin while I stand in line to get food, etc.

If they get X distance from the “home phone” you’ll get an alert. You can simply dismiss/ignore it.

I also keep one in my wallet. That’s helped me a couple times because I’ve left my purse behind places (ADHD, I’d leave my head behind if it wasn’t attached, I swear it!) and the AirTag will notify me as well as provide the location (address).

Super easy to set them up and their batteries last forever. Plus, they’re pretty cheap.

Along with ADHD I have old age.

So I thought I would getb one for myself so that I know when I'm lost

I'm exploring them for my pups. My wife 'rescued' a King Charles Spaniel that grew up on a ranch and once she hits the door she just takes off like its a game.

Not sure they'd make a good anti-theft device. AirTags have an anti-stalking feature. If someone slips one into your car and you have an iPhone, your iPhone will give you a warning that someone else's AirTag is following you around. The feature could warn a thief who's stolen your AirTagged property, too.

Not sure they'd make a good anti-theft device. AirTags have an anti-stalking feature. If someone slips one into your car and you have an iPhone, your iPhone will give you a warning that someone else's AirTag is following you around. The feature could warn a thief who's stolen your AirTagged property, too.
That’s a bonus, is it not?

Who wants to steal a car that has an air tag on it and they get notice an air tag is somewhere? The thief would then have to go over every inch of the vehicle to try to locate the tag in order to successfully steal the vehicle.

If anything, that’s more cause TO do it than reason not to.

I'm exploring them for my pups. My wife 'rescued' a King Charles Spaniel that grew up on a ranch and once she hits the door she just takes off like its a game.
If you live in a reasonably crowded area, like we do, then it's great for tracking dogs. If you're out in the boonies, not so much. The wandering pup has to wander near someone's iPhone for the tag's location to be recorded, and the odds of that are slim in very rural areas.

That’s a bonus, is it not?

Who wants to steal a car that has an air tag on it and they get notice an air tag is somewhere? The thief would then have to go over every inch of the vehicle to try to locate the tag in order to successfully steal the vehicle.

If anything, that’s more cause TO do it than reason not to.
Yes, absolutely, it's a good feature, but the point is that it will warn the thief as easily as it will warn the stalking victim.

Agree that it creates a problem for the thief, but if they turn off their iPhone and drive to an out of the way place they'd have time to look for it. Then again, the alert thief probably only has a burner phone while "on the job" since if they were ever accused of a crime their geo-location data could be subpoenaed. So maybe an AirTag is a better anti-theft tool than I think.

She's pretty! What kind of dog is she? Looks like maybe she has some Jack Russel type terrier in her.

I’m sorry luv - never saw this. We think she has some Jack Russell, some Australian Shepherd, and maybe some dachshund. She’s a rescue, so we are not quite sure what she is. Well, other than a right pain in the ass.

If you live in a reasonably crowded area, like we do, then it's great for tracking dogs. If you're out in the boonies, not so much. The wandering pup has to wander near someone's iPhone for the tag's location to be recorded, and the odds of that are slim in very rural areas.
Yeah, you need a GPS tag in really remote areas.

I’m sorry luv - never saw this. We think she has some Jack Russell, some Australian Shepherd, and maybe some dachshund. She’s a rescue, so we are not quite sure what she is. Well, other than a right pain in the ass.
All of them are a pain - but that’s part of why we love them!

Well I have two of the set up and two left to do. One is labeled "Gear Bag" and is on my key ring. If I travel I will remove it and place on my scuba gear bag. The other is in the truck. Yes, if someone steals it after two hours it will let them know and they can also locate it by pressing a button on their screen that will make it chirp.

My truck usually sits in my driveway and anytime I leave the house in the car after a bit it tells me that I have left the house without taking my truck. I have my phone near my bed so if it goes off at night I am likely to hear it. At least I will know as soon as the truck disappears. Not a perfect solution. If I lose the truck in a parking lot I can use my phone as a locator. It will tell me which way to go.

Just fyi.. these only work of there are iPhones around. AirTag tech is creepy as hell and should be banned...the amount of stalking and sexual assaults linked to AirTag are mindboggling.

I keep them in cars; I find them to be useful finding my car in huge mall parking lots.

Back
Top Bottom