• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Use of deadly force

mak2

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Regardless of the law, when is deadly force ethically appropriate?

I agree. If someone is in my house, I dont know them and I cannot tell if they are armed or not, shoot them. How bout if they are standing on my front porch looking mean?

I agree. If someone is in my house, I dont know them and I cannot tell if they are armed or not, shoot them. How bout if they are standing on my front porch looking mean?
In Florida, you could probably get by with shooting them.
And I have no issue with that.

Illegal to shoot them while on your porch!
If you do make sure you drag them into the house,
or else you'll be arrested.

When it's reasonably believed to be necessary to 1) repel deadly force, 2) to protect oneself from sexual assault and 3) to protect ones home.

Ever been to Florida? On my porch, on my lawn, in my back yard if you threaten me and I feel fear for my life or the life of my family. You are a soon to be ventilated. Hope you said all your good byes before you left home.

Regardless of the law, when is deadly force ethically appropriate?

Maybe we should post this for those in Rio Linda :)

eth·ics [eth-iks]
plural noun
( used with a singular or plural verb ) a system of moral principles: the ethics of a culture.
the rules of conduct recognized in respect to a particular class of human actions or a particular group, culture, etc.: medical ethics; Christian ethics.
moral principles, as of an individual: His ethics forbade betrayal of a confidence.
( usually used with a singular verb ) that branch of philosophy dealing with values relating to human conduct, with respect to the rightness and wrongness of certain actions and to the goodness and badness of the motives and ends of such actions.

At least in Indiana, if someone is on your porch and poses a reasonable threat, for example has a firearm and is yelling and banging on the door, a reasonable person could make the argument he was in fear of his life. Dont drag them in in any case, it just make it look like you were covering something and they can tell where you shot him anyway. If the guys car broke down and he was just knocking on the door it could be a bit more of a problem. And it should be.

You come on my property you get a warning, 10 seconds later you are getting shot. And I mean property, not just house.

Ever been to Florida? On my porch, on my lawn, in my back yard if you threaten me and I feel fear for my life or the life of my family. You are a soon to be ventilated. Hope you said all your good byes before you left home.

Also if you break into my house, whether you're actually armed or not, my property you're trying to take better be worth your life to you.

I'm not a gun owner and never used a gun before, so pardon me if this sounds stupid, but using a gun to stop a crime does not necessarily mean using deadly force. It's an argument made against police on a regular basis, and they usually are able to defend against it, but with a private citizen I'm not sure. Since we're not talking about legal rights here, I'd say it would haunt me forever if I killed someone and simply wounding them or scaring them would have sufficed.

I'm not a gun owner and never used a gun before, so pardon me if this sounds stupid, but using a gun to stop a crime does not necessarily mean using deadly force. It's an argument made against police on a regular basis, and they usually are able to defend against it, but with a private citizen I'm not sure. Since we're not talking about legal rights here, I'd say it would haunt me forever if I killed someone and simply wounding them or scaring them would have sufficed.

If you pull a gun, you need to fire for effect immediately.

Last edited:
Using a gun, even hitting someone in the head with it is use of deadly force.

Double tap to center mass. If that third shot happens to clean out the brain pan, all the better.
In my home, stealing, harming or worse. I will never once lose a seconds sleep.

Do you really think it is appropriate to shoot someone in your backyard?

I respect all these opinions and circumstances and the level of reaction each of you may take - it's not me, however, so it's probably a very good thing I don't own a gun and I have no interest in owning a gun, and I'm very thankful that in my lifetime and where I live I've never ever felt I needed a gun.

Good man, I hope none of us ever really need one.
I respect all these opinions and circumstances and the level of reaction each of you may take - it's not me, however, so it's probably a very good thing I don't own a gun and I have no interest in owning a gun, and I'm very thankful that in my lifetime and where I live I've never ever felt I needed a gun.

Do you really think it is appropriate to shoot someone in your backyard?

Yep. If you are acting the ass and being threatening, dont look for me to do a Zimmerman and turn and walk away on my own property.
And in Florida, its legal.
I dont get all wound up at people who come by looking for lawn work to do, sell magazines, talk Jesus, but if you come looking for trouble. You will have found all you need.

At least in Indiana, if someone is on your porch and poses a reasonable threat, for example has a firearm and is yelling and banging on the door, a reasonable person could make the argument he was in fear of his life. Dont drag them in in any case, it just make it look like you were covering something and they can tell where you shot him anyway. If the guys car broke down and he was just knocking on the door it could be a bit more of a problem. And it should be.

I see your point.I just learned in business law class years ago that
you couldn't booby trap or otherwise protect lethally any part
of your property other than the house.

The dragging them in was to cover you if you screwed up.

I'm not in favor of shooting anyone anytime.:twocents:

Back
Top Bottom