• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

USA’s chronic trade deficits.

You believe there’s a fault within this proposal but you cannot specifically identify and explain the fault you perceive?

Respectfully, Supposn

You want to raise prices for Americans!! That is a huge fault. American like to buy for less not more and thus increase their standard of living!! Do you understand!!

You want to raise prices for Americans!! That is a huge fault. American like to buy for less not more and thus increase their standard of living!! Do you understand!!

James972, choosing between cheaper priced imported goods or more jobs at wages of greater purchasing powers, I suppose Americans rather prefer greater purchasing power. I suppose you understand but choose to disregard that.

Due to USA’s enactment of the Import Certificate policy USA’s numbers of jobs and their wages’ purchasing powers would increase more than otherwise; (otherwise being if we do not enact the Import Certificate policy).
We all benefit from cheaper imports but they do not compensate for trade deficits drag upon our domestic production and the consequential drag upon our numbers of jobs and their wage rates. Annual trade deficits are ALWAYS an immediate drag upon their nation’s GDP.

The entire net costs of this policy would be borne by USA purchasers of imported goods; that's reasonable. USA purchasers of imported goods are the basic drivers of our global trade deficit of goods. USA employees, their dependents and all other entities dependent upon USA wage levels would net benefit from USA adopting this Import Certificate policy.

Respectfully, Supposn

James972, choosing between cheaper priced imported goods or more jobs at wages of greater purchasing powers, I suppose Americans rather prefer greater purchasing power. I suppose you understand but choose to disregard that.

Yes, Americans are free and they choose to buy the cheapest best goods they can find which is their right. If you don't like their choice you are certainly free to try to persuade them to buy worse, more expensive goods but as a communist that does not suit you. You want govt to hold a gun to their heads to make them buy what you want.

And lets never forget, as a communist, this is just 1 of 1000 things you would like liberal govt to do at gun point!

Yes, Americans are free and they choose to buy the cheapest best goods they can find which is their right. If you don't like their choice you are certainly free to try to persuade them to buy worse, more expensive goods but as a communist that does not suit you. You want govt to hold a gun to their heads to make them buy what you want.

And lets never forget, as a communist, this is just 1 of 1000 things you would like liberal govt to do at gun point!

James972, you do yourself a disservice by peppering your posts with the “bumper sticker” words such as “communist” without explaining your logical basis for employing such terms. It leads intelligent readers to question if you actually understand the meaning of the word and can logically justify your employing it as a label upon specific persons or concepts.

I generally prefer to assume that respondents to these threads actually do know some things about the subject of their comments and I refrain from assuming otherwise.

Respectfully, Supposn

James972, you do yourself a disservice by peppering your posts with the “bumper sticker” words such as “communist” without explaining your logical basis for employing such terms.

simple, you want to hold a gun to people's heads to make them buy what you want, and you want a 1001 other violent govt actions which is typical of communism. As a conservative/libertarian I believe in peace and freedom, not govt violence as you do. Now do you understand?

simple, you want to hold a gun to people's heads to make them buy what you want, and you want a 1001 other violent govt actions which is typical of communism. As a conservative/libertarian I believe in peace and freedom, not govt violence as you do. Now do you understand?

I think what he is saying is it would be great if people would realize that buy buying in the short run things because they are cheap they are actually doing society as a whole, as well as themselves a disservice and harm.. and that it would be better if they realized this and were on board for better trade. Just because its cheap doesn't mean its good. I prefer for instance to buy shoes and boots that are made domestically because the cheap crap isn't as comfortable and wears out a lot faster. I would rather buy one pair for double or triple the price and have it last 2 or 3 times as long. but that's a side issue. the people that buy the cheap stuff the most are the people most hurt by the job losses that are related to those cheap goods.

I think what he is saying is it would be great if people would realize that.

wrong wrong wrong!! What he was saying exactly was that he wanted liberal govt to hold a gun to people's head to force them to do what he wanted!!

wrong wrong wrong!! What he was saying exactly was that he wanted liberal govt to hold a gun to people's head to force them to do what he wanted!!

I guess I would have to go back farther than I did in you guy's jousting to see. sometimes these arguments go on for pages and its hard to follow.
As much as I would like to sometimes people shouldn't be forced to make the right decision. its a persons right to say and do stupid things.

[Posted by Supposn:
James972, you do yourself a disservice by peppering your posts with the “bumper sticker” words such as “communist” without explaining your logical basis for employing such terms.]

James972, You continue repeating that same opinion without providing any logical support for your contentions.

You pretend to KNOW that the political positions I’m a proponent of would force people buy what I wish them to buy and initiate “1,001 other violent government actions”. Additionally you imply to KNOWING my political preferences and that they’re communistic.

You’re unwilling or unable to explain how you logically came to your conclusions; unable to post a logical response or unwilling to risk exposing your logic (or lack of logic) to confrontation?
I suppose that you do understand all of this but choose to disregard it.

Respectfully, Supposn

[Posted by Supposn:
James972, you do yourself a disservice by peppering your posts with the “bumper sticker” words such as “communist” without explaining your logical basis for employing such terms.]

James972, You continue repeating that same opinion without providing any logical support for your contentions.

You pretend to KNOW that the political positions I’m a proponent of would force people buy what I wish them to buy and initiate “1,001 other violent government actions”. Additionally you imply to KNOWING my political preferences and that they’re communistic.

You’re unwilling or unable to explain how you logically came to your conclusions; unable to post a logical response or unwilling to risk exposing your logic (or lack of logic) to confrontation?
I suppose that you do understand all of this but choose to disregard it.

Respectfully, Supposn

are you saying you are not naturally violent and you want to leave people free to buy, sell, and price as they want from whomever and wherever they want? This is yes or no question.

its a persons right to say and do stupid things.

and to say and do smart things which he is far more likely to do than a libturd bureaucrat who operates at the point of a gun.

are you saying you are not naturally violent and you want to leave people free to buy, sell, and price as they want from whomever and wherever they want? This is yes or no question.

James972, how do you answer the question you’re posing?

You never conceive yourself to be violent regardless of the circumstances or provocations?

Do you contend that our society should not under any circumstances judge individuals capacities to be held responsible for themselves, or regardless of indications that individuals can or cannot be trusted to behave responsibly or regardless of circumstances we should never presume to regulate or prohibit anyone from buying or selling extremely dangerous materials, weapons of mass destruction, confidential information, human beings, or their individual body parts?

Do you contend that we should not regulate or prohibit people from harming others regardless of the extent of harm that’s inflicted?
Only a simpleton would actually believe the question you posed is a simple one.

My political preference is "populism" which is not a matter of polling the public to determine the “correct” policy; but rather seeking what would be to our nation’s population’s near and sustainable best consequences.

Unlike yourself, I have reasonable respect others and being more liberal (than you) I wouldn’t consider restricting your answering to your own question with only a “yes” or “no”. You’re welcome to try answering your question with as many words as you determine to be required.

You try my patience but I intend to remain respectful.
Respectfully, Supposn

why cant you answer the question????? Don't you feel stupid for trying to change the subject?? In court you have to answer the question or be held in contempt and go to jail!! Why cant you answer the question? Isn't it obvious that the answer is avoided because it would incriminate you and your violent ways?

You never conceive yourself to be violent regardless of the circumstances or provocations?
America was born free and grew to be the greatest country in human history precisely because it was based on minimizing violence by elites against the remainder. It turns out a few elites do not have the wisdom of crowds and free markets.

June 6, 2016, posted by Supposn:

why cant you answer the question????? Don't you feel stupid for trying to change the subject?? In court you have to answer the question or be held in contempt and go to jail!! Why cant you answer the question? Isn't it obvious that the answer is avoided because it would incriminate you and your violent ways?

James972, most of us understand your inability to answer your own question. There’s no need for you to feel stupid.

We all make some mistakes but why do you continue repeating the same errors of judgment? You don’t clearly think through the responses you post and the questions you pose.

I don’t suppose you’re a lawyer? A lawyer would be embarrassed If judge agreed with opposing console’s objection to a nonsensical or irrelevant question.

Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited:

James972, most of us understand your inability to answer your own question. There’s no need for you to feel stupid.

We all make some mistakes but why do you continue repeating the same errors of judgment? You don’t clearly think through the responses you post and the questions you pose.

I don’t suppose you’re a lawyer? A lawyer would be embarrassed If judge agreed with the concurred with opposing console’s objection to a nonsensical or irrelative question.

Respectfully, Supposn

I think what he is saying is it would be great if people would realize that buy buying in the short run things because they are cheap they are actually doing society as a whole, as well as themselves a disservice and harm.. and that it would be better if they realized this and were on board for better trade. Just because its cheap doesn't mean its good. I prefer for instance to buy shoes and boots that are made domestically because the cheap crap isn't as comfortable and wears out a lot faster. I would rather buy one pair for double or triple the price and have it last 2 or 3 times as long. but that's a side issue. the people that buy the cheap stuff the most are the people most hurt by the job losses that are related to those cheap goods.

SocialID, domestic production promotes use of domestic labor, facilities (including infrastructures), and tax revenues.
However to some extents domestic production also contributes to their nations’ “crowding out” of resources, facilities and pollution of their environment.
Economists, (even among those opposed to protectionism) generally agree that absence of any methods for “checks and balances” within USA’s global trade practices promotes a “race to the bottom”. USA’s enterprises and employees are at price disadvantages to lower-wage nations.

Proponents of “pure” free markets contend that government regulation of global trade, (i.e. protectionism) should be beyond the power of government. Adam Smith’s “unseen hand” of the free open competitive markets will generally be superior to government’s “heavy thumbs on the scales”. They additionally point out that USA’s net global trade balance is a small proportion of USA’s economy.

It’s not supposed that we can determine the net "ripple effects” of trade balances upon their nation's GDPs but they certainly must be greater than the amount of the trade balances themselves. We do not KNOW what’s trade balance’s proportion to their individual national economies.

There’s no panacea that optionally addresses all of these consideration regarding a nation’s trade balance. I’m a proponent a unilateral substantially market driven Import Certificate policy for USA’s global trade.

Refer to Wikipedia’s “Import Certificates” article
And the “Trade balances affects upon their nations economies” paragraphs of Wikipedia’s “Balance of Trade” article.

Respectfully, Supposn

SocialID, domestic production promotes use of domestic labor, facilities (including infrastructures), and tax revenues.
However to some extents domestic production also contributes to their nations’ “crowding out” of resources, facilities and pollution of their environment.
Economists, (even among those opposed to protectionism) generally agree that absence of any methods for “checks and balances” within USA’s global trade practices promotes a “race to the bottom”. USA’s enterprises and employees are at price disadvantages to lower-wage nations.

Proponents of “pure” free markets contend that government regulation of global trade, (i.e. protectionism) should be beyond the power of government. Adam Smith’s “unseen hand” of the free open competitive markets will generally be superior to government’s “heavy thumbs on the scales”. They additionally point out that USA’s net global trade balance is a small proportion of USA’s economy.

It’s not supposed that we can determine the net "ripple effects” of trade balances upon their nation's GDPs but they certainly must be greater than the amount of the trade balances themselves. We do not KNOW what’s trade balance’s proportion to their individual national economies.

There’s no panacea that optionally addresses all of these consideration regarding a nation’s trade balance. I’m a proponent a unilateral substantially market driven Import Certificate policy for USA’s global trade.

Refer to Wikipedia’s “Import Certificates” article
And the “Trade balances affects upon their nations economies” paragraphs of Wikipedia’s “Balance of Trade” article.

Respectfully, Supposn

yes I have read the import certificates wiki and in general I agree with you. I do think however that our using import certificates and simultaneously having the trade agreements we do will interfere with each other.
Are you/they saying to scrap the trade deals and go with import certificates?
Also this is a simplistic model. it could be manipulated with not too much difficulty unless we have a very through and expensive oversight. for instance. a import good that was monopolized by a foreign interest could be withheld and the price driven up through lowering of supply. then when price has been increased sufficient to what they desire because of supply/demand ratios they then import it at the higher price getting more ICs for it and thereby this could force out other importers not have available ICs unless we then increased our exports.

yes I have read the import certificates wiki and in general I agree with you....
Also this is a simplistic model. it could be manipulated with not too much difficulty unless we have a very through and expensive oversight. for instance. a import good that was monopolized by a foreign interest could be withheld and the price driven up through lowering of supply. then when price has been increased sufficient to what they desire because of supply/demand ratios they then import it at the higher price getting more ICs for it and thereby this could force out other importers not have available ICs unless we then increased our exports.

SocialID, regarding the consequences of the scenario you pose:
If foreign interests have a monopoly or oligopoly of any specific global trade product, it would be due to other nation’s being unable to compete with monopolist’s control of product supply. The question of transferable Import certificates availability is inconsequential to that scenario.

Regarding the unavailability of transferable Import Certificates due to excessive market price:
The transferable certificates CANNOT be cornered within the competitive global certificate markets.
As the global market price should increase, it becomes financially more feasible to export USA products of greater marginally excessive cost because the market value of the transferable certificates acquired by the exporter have increased to financially justify such transactions.

Respectfully, Supposn

yes I have read the import certificates wiki and in general I agree with you. I do think however that our using import certificates and simultaneously having the trade agreements we do will interfere with each other.
Are you/they saying to scrap the trade deals and go with import certificates? ...

SocialID, USA has no international trade treaties; it does have some Executive order and Congressional-executive trade agreements; they have lesser than treaties' federal legal statuses.

All of trade agreements within which the USA participates are drafted in a manner that permit participants to arbitrate differences and/or mutually modify the agreement and/or resign from their participation within the agreement.
I consider resignation as a last resort if for some unforeseeable reason we could not reasonably arbitrate or modify any particular agreement to our satisfaction.

The proposed Import Certificate policy itself is a unilateral policy and there’s no need for the USA to negotiate with foreign nations what we consider to be our own domestic issues.

Respectfully, Supposn

SocialID, regarding the consequences of the scenario you pose:
If foreign interests have a monopoly or oligopoly of any specific global trade product, it would be due to other nation’s being unable to compete with monopolist’s control of product supply. The question of transferable Import certificates availability is inconsequential to that scenario.

Regarding the unavailability of transferable Import Certificates due to excessive market price:
The transferable certificates CANNOT be cornered within the competitive global certificate markets.
As the global market price should increase, it becomes financially more feasible to export USA products of greater marginally excessive cost because the market value of the transferable certificates acquired by the exporter have increased to financially justify such transactions.

Respectfully, Supposn

You have to have the good to export though.

I don’t suppose you’re a lawyer? A lawyer would be embarrassed If judge agreed with the concurred with opposing console’s objection to a nonsensical or irrelative question.

Respectfully, Supposn

are you saying you are not naturally violent and you want to leave people free to buy, sell, and price as they want from whomever and wherever they want? This is yes or no question. Why is liberalism always based on violence?

You have to have the good to export though.

SocialID, although transferable Import Certificates would entirely, or almost entirely eliminate their nation’s annual trade deficits of goods, I doubt that you fully appreciate the certificates desirable attributes that are due to the essentially competitive global certificate markets.

The “face values” of the certificates that are equal to the underlying assessed values of USA’s export shipments.
Any other information associated with the certificates, (e.g. a certificates’ serial numbers) are only to prevent counterfeiting or other frauds.

Other than the certificates' face values, national sources of import products, the kind product or the nation from which the product was imported into the USA or from pr exported from the USA is irrelevant to the certificate's purpose.

The same certificate that could be surrendered to permit imports of T-shirts from China could have rather been surrendered to permit imports of trucks or truck parts from Canada. That certificate could have been issued for export of USA beef, or the export of USA aircrafts or parts.

Because face value is the only functional difference between certificates, the costs for acquiring certificates to import Chinese T-shirts or British Rolls-Royce vehicles will be proportionally similar to the value of the import shipments. The commercial brokers or internet web sites that would be readily buy and sell certificates would be equally available to all importers of goods into the USA.

If the market price rates of certificates increase, it becomes financially more feasible to export USA goods purchased at greater marginal costs and recoup that loss of revenue by the profits from acquiring the certificates that have increased in value.
Price is ALMOST EVERYTHING; you can sell almost anything of some value if the price is sufficiently less.
IF USA purchasers are willing to pay more for imported goods, there’s no shortage of transferable certificates.

On the other hand if USA purchasers balk at paying more for imported goods, the price rate for certificates on the competitive global certificate market will fall and the prices of imported goods sold within the USA will become more reasonable. This trade policy is substantially market driven.

Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited:
SocialID, although transferable Import Certificates would entirely, or almost entirely eliminate their nation’s annual trade deficits of goods,

you mean as long as they are forced down peoples throats at the point of a gun? And that is not to mention that they would protect and cripple American industry!! A violent liberals always knows best-right?

why not be honest and list the 10001 other violent interventions you favor?

Back
Top Bottom