• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US to restore full pension of FBI official fired under Trump

Hamish Howl

Horrible Bastard
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

WASHINGTON (AP) — Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe has won back his full pension as part of a settlement of his lawsuit arising from his firing during the Trump administration more than three years ago, his lawyers announced Thursday.

McCabe, a frequent target of then-President Donald Trump’s ire, was fired in March 2018 by then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions after the Justice Department’s inspector general determined he had misled internal investigators about his involvement in a news media leak. The termination came hours before he was to have retired, denying him his pension.

McCabe has denied intentionally deceiving anyone, was never criminally charged and blasted his firing as politically motivated.

It just hasn't been The Donald's week, really.

Good and totally appropriate but even this will never make up for what McCabe was put through to appease Trumps ego. This is the one action that will tarnish the reputation of Sessions forever. To be clear Sessions had the right to fire him but he didn't until pressured by Trump hours before McCabe was due to retire....it was nothing short of vindictivness.

Trump’s action was designed to be vindictive and punitive. Everything about Trump is about cruelty. He had McCabe fired a day or two before he was going to retire — just to deny him his pension.

Fortunately, his actions are clear as day and were reversed.

This is good news. I always thought that was a pretty shitty deal.

Discovery would have been a disaster for the DOJ.
Settlements don't usually involve any admission of guilt or innocence. I guess the government felt it could afford some chump change when it's trying to spend over 3 trillion dollars.

Settlements don't usually involve any admission of guilt or innocence. I guess the government felt it could afford some chump change when it's trying to spend over 3 trillion dollars.
Never stated that.
I referred to discovery and here is a partial list.
DOJ had to settle
Mr. McCabe’s lawyers had planned to question the F.B.I. director, Christopher A. Wray, and his former deputy, David L. Bowdich. The lawyers would have also grilled Mr. Sessions and his deputy at the time, Rod J. Rosenstein, as well as others, including the department’s inspector general, Michael E. Horowitz.

If one gets fired for cause before retirement, you lose the pension. Trump fired McCabe a day or so before he was scheduled to retire just to inflict cruelty.
His pension benefits vested after 5 years of employment. He didnt lose them. What he initially lost was his ability to retire early (age 50) with a full pension instead of having to wait until he was 57.

His pension benefits vested after 5 years of employment. He didnt lose them. What he initially lost was his ability to retire early (age 50) with a full pension instead of having to wait until he was 57.
IIRC it was an estimated 1 mil loss in pension/benefits?

What he initially lost was his ability to retire early (age 50) with a full pension instead of having to wait until he was 57.
Yes, but he chose to take his full pension at age 50 and it was approved. The termination occurred just hours before it was take effect.

Yes, but he chose to take his full pension at age 50 and it was approved. The termination occurred just hours before it was take effect.
I'm not debating that. I'm merely saying that he didn't "lose" his pension.

Good and totally appropriate but even this will never make up for what McCabe was put through to appease Trumps ego. This is the one action that will tarnish the reputation of Sessions forever. To be clear Sessions had the right to fire him but he didn't until pressured by Trump hours before McCabe was due to retire....it was nothing short of vindictivness.
McGabe leaked information and he lied to the IG. ANY WAY you look at it he was wrong. You dems just don't care.

McGabe leaked information and he lied to the IG. ANY WAY you look at it he was wrong. You dems just don't care.

How many times did you vote for this obviously mentally ill, openly anti democracy, habitual liar, sociopath to "serve" as the POTUS?

Remarks by President Trump on Supporting America’s Farmers and Ranchers​

LAND & AGRICULTURE
Issued on: May 23, 2019

"...Q Sir, the Constitution says treason is punishable by death. You’ve accused your adversaries of treason. Who specifically are you accusing of treason?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, I think a number of people. And I think what you look is that they have unsuccessfully tried to take down the wrong person.

Q Who are you speaking of?

THE PRESIDENT: If you look at Comey; if you look at McCabe; if you look at probably people — people higher than that; if you look at Strzok; if you look at his lover, Lisa Page, his wonderful lover — the two lovers, they talked openly. You know, they didn’t use their private server because they didn’t want to get caught, so they used the government server. That was not a good move. He talked about the insurance policy, just in case Crooked Hillary loses. And that didn’t work out too well for them.

So you look at them — they wanted an insurance policy so that should she, for any reason, lose — remember? ... But should she lose, we’ll have an insurance policy, and we’ll get this guy out of office.

And that’s what they said, and that’s what they meant. That’s treason. That’s treason. They couldn’t win the election, and that’s what happened.

And that’s what’s happening right now because — without the “treason” word, I guess — but that’s what’s happening now. They don’t feel they can win the election, so they’re trying to do the thousand stabs. Keep stabbing. Let’s have a financial. Let’s have…

And if you look, for $40 million, I would think, seriously, that Bob Mueller and his group of 18 killers have gone over my taxes, they’ve gone over my financial statements to a level that nobody has gone over them before. And they were not discussed, even. They weren’t ever discussed or brought up. I have great statements.

Okay, what else?.."

From: O'Callaghan, Edward C. (ODAG) Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 20194:40 PM To: Rosen, Jeffrey A. (ODAG); Hovakimian, Patrick (ODAG) Subject: Fwd: Andrew McCabe Attachments: Letter to Deputy Attorney General Rosen (August 27, 2019).pdf; ATT00001.htm; Exhibit A to August 27, 2019 Letter to Jeffrey A. Rosen .docx; ATT00002.htm; Exhibit B to August 27, 2019Letter to Jeffrey A. Rosen.pdf; ATT00003.htm Edward C. O’Callaghan 202-514-2105 Begin forwarded message: From: "Michael Bromwich" To: "O'Callaghan, Edward C. (ODAG)" Cc: "Liu, Jessie (USADC)" , "David Schertler" Subject: Andrew McCabe

Dear Ed
Attached please find a letter to Deputy Attorney General Rosen that follows up on the oral presentation provided by Dave Schertler and me on Friday. We hope this is helpful in your consideration of whether to bring charges against Mr. McCabe. Exhibits A (DOJ declinations) and B (Trump tweets and statements) are the same documents we sent to you Friday, but we thought it would be helpful for you have everything in one place. In the event the Deputy Attorney General approves moving forward, we reiterate our request to provide a letter to the Attorney General.....Needless to say, we hope no such letter is necessary. Please let me know if you have any questions. MRB

51353230687_55a8c0660f_b.jpg

51354192198_aa558b6c33_b.jpg

51354189408_1dac7671de_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom