• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US to require foreign travelers to be vaccinated when restrictions lift

Why make a comparison that's invalid? There were 58 Dems and two independents who voted in favor of the PPACA. The reconciliation bill that passed next gave it the necessary funding authority.

Why compare that to a 51-50 Senate?

Do you think their suspicion is valid? And if so, why would you then apply a vaccine mandate that you accept as possibly ineffective to immigrants?
Did I say government should apply a vaccine mandate? My position is that government should not apply a mandate to anyone.

Illegals should be sent packing. After they serve their time.

Take a look around. Is the US the same country that it was 40 years ago? Has it improved?
What was the population 40 years ago? When the population grows the economy grows. Ag needs row. Workers to pick crops grow. We need to reform immigration. Stopping it is not feasible or realistic.

I see the big picture well enough, and I know this tolerance of illegals will not end any time soon, but that doesn't make it right.
They do not become illegal until they enter illegally. All immigrants are not illegals. Many have been detained and released or sent back.

Take a look around. Is the US the same country that it was 40 years ago? Has it improved?

I have a hard time connecting illegal immigration to major problems like our for-profit health model slowly cracking under the pressure.

What was the population 40 years ago? When the population grows the economy grows. Ag needs row. Workers to pick crops grow. We need to reform immigration. Stopping it is not feasible or realistic.
Yea, and they have been talking about reforming immigration for al least 40 years. Political agenda is the problem, and the fact that immigration is federal. There are no more states rights. Just ask Texas. The federal government has removed Texas rights to protect themselves from illegals and all they bring with them. Enforce existing laws. Build the wall.

I could go to the US right now:

# I’m 2x vaxxed
# I have a credit card
# I have a valid ESTA document
# I have a valid passport

Why make a comparison that's invalid? There were 58 Dems and two independents who voted in favor of the PPACA. The reconciliation bill that passed next gave it the necessary funding authority.

Why compare that to a 51-50 Senate?
Health care was a major factor in multiple elections, but until 2009, neither party had the votes to overcome the other's opposition.

Yea, and they have been talking about reforming immigration for al least 40 years. Political agenda is the problem, and the fact that immigration is federal. There are no more states rights. Just ask Texas. The federal government has removed Texas rights to protect themselves from illegals and all they bring with them. Enforce existing laws. Build the wall.
Here are some better alternatives than a wall. Abbot is using it as a political ploy. We cannot enforce the laws if there is not enough personnel to process asylees, or we don’t have enough legal points of entry.

I have a hard time connecting illegal immigration to major problems like our for-profit health model slowly cracking under the pressure.
Do you have a hard time realizing that any healthcare model would crack under the pressure of illegal immigration that the US is experiencing? Do you think that any healthcare model should be required to take into consideration illegal immigration with the numbers we're seeing along our southern border?

We're second-class citizens in our own country.
Not the language in this article:

"Currently, the only foreign travelers allowed to cross by land into the United States from Mexico and Canada are essential workers such as truck drivers or nurses."

Wonder if they can keep a straight face when they wrote that.

Are you conflating legitimate reasons for asylum with those seeking it simply to have a better economic life?

Yes, and those determinations are made in a HEARING... Since we have severely underfunded immigration courts for years, the backlog means those seeking asylum need some place to live while awaiting a hearing.

Here are some better alternatives than a wall. Abbot is using it as a political ploy. We cannot enforce the laws if there is not enough personnel to process asylees, or we don’t have enough legal points of entry.

No need to process "asylees" on the other side of the wall unable to get in. And they avoid the legal points of entry and instead cross where there is no wall and no points of entry. Friend works for the border patrol. Along his area of the Texas border he estimates they are maybe actually encountering a third of the illegals. For every one they put through any kind of process, 2 others are getting through without any process.

No need to process "asylees" on the other side of the wall unable to get in. And they avoid the legal points of entry and instead cross where there is no wall and no points of entry. Friend works for the border patrol. Along his area of the Texas border he estimates they are maybe actually encountering a third of the illegals. For every one they put through any kind of process, 2 others are getting through without any process.
More legal entry points would help?

Our asylum law does not require entry at a point of entry... In fact, it specifically says you can enter ANYWHERE....

Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including an alien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alien’s status, may apply for asylum in accordance with this section or, where applicable, section 1225(b) of this title.

Yes, and those determinations are made in a HEARING... Since we have severely underfunded immigration courts for years, the backlog means those seeking asylum need some place to live while awaiting a hearing.

That place to live would be in Mexico. AND since most of them are other than Mexicans, they are supposed to apply for asylum in the first country they get to, Mexico. But of course these arent legitimate asylum seekers, they are economic migrants who prefer the economics of the US over Mexico.

An embassy can help to weed out those seeking asylum from those merely looking for economic relief. The flow would significantly slow down for those coming to our border seeking asylum for economic relief. Staff at the embassy can be upped whenever demand increases for assistance. In this way we won't have to track down those in our country (via catch and release). A huge influx of illegal immigrants avoid processing altogether by not showing up for their scheduled hearings. And until they are they consume our resources.

That place to live would be in Mexico. AND since most of them are other than Mexicans, they are supposed to apply for asylum in the first country they get to, Mexico.

Complete ignorance.. YOU CAN NOT APPLY FOER ASYLUM ANYWHERE OTHER THAN US SOIL.. Read the damn law... There is no safe third party agreement with Mexico... Another Trump failure...

An embassy can help to weed out those seeking asylum from those merely looking for economic relief. The flow would significantly slow down for those coming to our border seeking asylum for economic relief. Staff at the embassy can be upped whenever demand increases for assistance. In this way we won't have to track down those in our country (via catch and release). A huge influx of illegal immigrants avoid processing altogether by not showing up for their scheduled hearings. And until they are they consume our resources.

Complete bullshit.. There is NO personnel in US embassies who can hear an asylum claim... We can sit and dream up fantasy's all day long but until US asylum law is changed, all your ideas are just wishes and dreams...

Our asylum law does not require entry at a point of entry... In fact, it specifically says you can enter ANYWHERE....

Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including an alien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alien’s status, may apply for asylum in accordance with this section or, where applicable, section 1225(b) of this title.

Nobody claimed the law requires entry at a point of entry. I'll wait here while you impress yourself slaying that strawman. And like it says, "in the United States". Some Venezuelan on the Mexican side of the wall screaming let me in needs no process. Like I said.

Nobody claimed the law requires entry at a point of entry. I'll wait here while you impress yourself slaying that strawman. And like it says, "in the United States". Some Venezuelan on the Mexican side of the wall screaming let me in needs no process. Like I said.

When you reach the Texas side of the Rio Grande are you PHYSICALLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES?

Complete bullshit.. There is NO personnel in US embassies who can hear an asylum claim... We can sit and dream up fantasy's all day long but until US asylum law is changed, all your ideas are just wishes and dreams...
Perhaps we should consider a break from each other. Immigration reform could address your objections. Some governors have volunteered their NG to deal with the current crisis. The feds could do the same at embassies.

Back
Top Bottom