• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US to begin meetings with Taliban

Joechilli

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — American officials say U.S. representatives will begin formal meetings with the Taliban in a few days at the group's new office opening in Qatar.

Senior Obama administration officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the record, described the Taliban's move to open a political office Tuesday in Doha as a stepping stone to full Taliban renouncement of al-Qaida.

In Doha, a Qatari official confirmed that the Taliban office was open.

The administration officials say the U.S. and Taliban representatives will hold bilateral meetings, then it is expected that Afghan President Hamid Karzai's High Peace Council will follow up with its own talks a few days later.

Is this a signal that the War could be winding down?

US to begin meetings with Taliban

About freaking time.

And the war has been winding down since day one, but the US and certain NATO partners have been to stubborn to admit defeat.

On one hand, yay a chance for peace. On the other hand, I don't really see the Taliban having reasonable demands. Plus they'll keep throwing battery acid in little girls' faces. Even without Al Qaeda, the Taliban themselves are pretty awful people. I'm not sure that peace is possible.

On one hand, yay a chance for peace. On the other hand, I don't really see the Taliban having reasonable demands. Plus they'll keep throwing battery acid in little girls' faces. Even without Al Qaeda, the Taliban themselves are pretty awful people. I'm not sure that peace is possible.

The Cold War chess game against the USSR didnt come without it's consequences,

Since the 2001 Invasion, Heroin has become cheaper, nothing is really Governed apart from Kabul and the North, and our leaders still talk as if we can 'Nation Build' the place into California.

Although the Governance is kind of like Washington DC = Corrupt ;)

Bin Laden is dead and the Neo-Con Clean-Break Ideology is a failure, lets start negotiating out of this mess. We should have supported the Northern Alliance and then left, I dont care what untapped Mineral Resources the Afghans have.

And yes they do throw acid in little girls faces, here's a then and now Western Attitude towards the issue of hard line islamic governance:

Hey maybe it would be a better idea to try having better relations with Russia, China, and India?

Back
Top Bottom