• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US Takes Tougher Tone on Israeli Settlements in New Report [W: 21]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet57

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
So, in another thread on the subject of the ME, I remember saying that a good idea for slowing down the violence would be for the US and others to put some heat on Israel for their continued annexing of Palestinian land in order to feed the needs of new settlers, and low and behold - here we go:

US takes tougher tone on Israeli settlements in new report

WASHINGTON (AP) — The United States will endorse a tougher tone with Israel in an upcoming international report that takes the Jewish state to task over settlements, demolitions and property seizures on land the Palestinians claim for a future state, diplomats told The Associated Press.
The U.S. and its fellow Mideast mediators also will chastise Palestinian leaders for failing to rein in anti-Israeli violence. But the diplomats involved in drafting the document said its primary focus will be a surge of construction in Jewish housing in the West Bank and east Jerusalem.

In 1972, there were just over 10,000 Israeli settlers, with 1,500 living in the West Bank and the rest in east Jerusalem. Two decades later, by the time of the Oslo peace accords, there were 231,200 Israelis living in the territories. That number rose to 365,000 by 2000, when the second Palestinian uprising began, and 474,000 by the time Benjamin Netanyahu became Israel's prime minister again in 2008.

The settlements are now home to more than 570,000 Israelis, according to the Israeli anti-settlement watchdog Peace Now — 370,000 in the West Bank and 200,000 in east Jerusalem. Settlements range from small wildcat outposts on West Bank hilltops to developed towns with shopping malls, schools and suburban homes.

In my view, this new move holds a great deal of promise by putting a heavy responsibility on Israel for their "Devil may care" attitude on their part of the continued violence. The Palestinians themselves will be taking new heat as well, just to balance out the pressure, but this new policy toward Israel will go along toward backing off the pressure that we've all been under as a result.

Please note: Saying that this is an example of hate for Israel will be rejected out of hand. This is very important breaking and international news, and I think it's high time.

Re: US Takes Tougher Tone on Israeli Settlements in New Report

So, in another thread on the subject of the ME, I remember saying that a good idea for slowing down the violence would be for the US and others to put some heat on Israel for their continued annexing of Palestinian land in order to feed the needs of new settlers, and low and behold - here we go:

In my view, this new move holds a great deal of promise by putting a heavy responsibility on Israel for their "Devil may care" attitude on their part of the continued violence. The Palestinians themselves will be taking new heat as well, just to balance out the pressure, but this new policy toward Israel will go along toward backing off the pressure that we've all been under as a result.

Please note: Saying that this is an example of hate for Israel will be rejected out of hand. This is very important breaking and international news, and I think it's high time.

Should this be in the ME forum? Reason I ask is it may get nasty.

If Israel believes in it's Manifest Destiny to reoccupy completely all the lands of Judea, more power to them.

As long as they do it without the support of the USA I could care less. :shrug:

It is a pity that Obama does not like the Israeli pm and everyone knows how vindictive he can be.

Obama's still a little upset over the Israeli elections or so it would seem

How many times does he have to be reminded that he has no influence anymore ?

Here in the US or overseas ? Well, he's a narcissist first and foremost.

Unfortunately I doubt a newer US tone will mean all that much. Considering the direction of influence on this relationship between the US and Israel they may continue with their settlement efforts.

So the US has gone from being anti-Palestine to anti-Israel... when are people going to wake up and realize both of those political positions are equally absurd?

So the US has gone from being anti-Palestine to anti-Israel... when are people going to wake up and realize both of those political positions are equally absurd?

How is opposing West Bank settlements anti-Israel? You can still support Isreal but denounce these settlements.

How is opposing West Bank settlements anti-Israel? You can still support Isreal but denounce these settlements.

This doesn't sound like 'supporting Israel';

The U.S. and its fellow Mideast mediators also will "chastise" Palestinian leaders for failing to rein in anti-Israeli violence. But the diplomats involved in drafting the document said its primary focus will be a surge of construction in Jewish housing in the West Bank and east Jerusalem.

Obama-Netanyahu Rift Impedes U.S. Offer of Record Aid Deal for Israel

One Israeli official, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment publicly on the confidential talks, said the Israeli government hoped a deal could be reached soon with the Obama administration.

Wary of an impasse in the talks, 81 Republicans and Democrats in the Senate signed a letter to Mr. Obama this week urging him to conclude “a robust new M.O.U.,” or memorandum of understanding, “that increases aid while retaining the current terms of our existing aid program.”

Last edited:

Should this be in the ME forum? Reason I ask is it may get nasty.

Thanks for the warning. Include me out. I was on another message board where my assertion that Muslims are a Christian mission field and got flamed for daring to consider Muslims as human beings. This message board is a refreshing change.

Last edited:

Thanks for the warning. Include me out. I was on another message board where my assertion that Muslims are a Christian mission field and got flamed for daring to consider Muslims as human beings. This message board is a refreshing change.

Best Board I have seen. Only my 4th though,

It is a pity that Obama does not like the Israeli pm and everyone knows how vindictive he can be.

He has several months left in office, I doubt he'll pull anything unique in the time left.

I support these sorts of measures to bring pressure to bear on Netanyahu to meaningfully engage with his Palestinian counterparts in Ramallah.

I don't think that Obama "dislikes' Israel perse'. I think that he sees what I see in this, that Israel has taken advantage of the protection of its allies, namely US, and kept extending its reach as long as they could get away with it. Well, the reins are being put on them now in the interest of peace to help and stabilize the area. Israel is going to have be more "liberal" now in its dealings if it expects US to continue to spend great deals of money on them.

Unfortunately I doubt a newer US tone will mean all that much. Considering the direction of influence on this relationship between the US and Israel they may continue with their settlement efforts.

I can't disagree with you. I would however like to us push as much as we can and i think that this will make excellent US policy for the time being to see what effect if any we can have. If it proves ineffective however, we owe to ourselves to understand why and correct it.

I don't think that Obama "dislikes' Israel perse'. I think that he sees what I see in this, that Israel has taken advantage of the protection of its allies, namely US, and kept extending its reach as long as they could get away with it. Well, the reins are being put on them now in the interest of peace to help and stabilize the area. Israel is going to have be more "liberal" now in its dealings if it expects US to continue to spend great deals of money on them.

Obama hates Netanyahu and that feeling is mutual, but Im betting Bibi is more of a pragmatist than Obama will ever be...the survival the Israel is still a fragile thing, Obama seems to have lost every instinct when it comes to the best interest of the country to pursue his anti-colonial, apologist spew. Obama actually stuck his nose into the last Israeli election. Obama doesn't deserve any respect from Israel.

Obama hates Netanyahu and that feeling is mutual, but Im betting Bibi is more of a pragmatist than Obama will ever be...the survival the Israel is still a fragile thing, Obama seems to have lost every instinct when it comes to the best interest of the country to pursue his anti-colonial, apologist spew. Obama actually stuck his nose into the last Israeli election. Obama doesn't deserve any respect from Israel.

Putting a leash on Israel's rampant expansionism that incites Palestinian attacks, is not going to close Israel. It's going to force Israel to look at its own participation in the problem, and the fact that other countries are joining in the pressure only iterates that fact. Israel is going to have to learn to live in the modern world.

Putting a leash on Israel's rampant expansionism that incites Palestinian attacks, is not going to close Israel. It's going to force Israel to look at its own participation in the problem, and the fact that other countries are joining in the pressure only iterates that fact. Israel is going to have to learn to live in the modern world.

They have no reason to expect the fighting will stop if they cede the West Bank. Its all loss, no gain. Your ideas about the "modern world" aren't very convincing in the real world.

They have no reason to expect the fighting will stop if they cede the West Bank. Its all loss, no gain. Your ideas about the "modern world" aren't very convincing in the real world.

Well, we don't know that because it hasn't happened yet. Once Israel is forced into retreating a bit, then we can measure the results.

I don't really think there will ever be peace in that region. Israel has been propped up by the United States to the point where they have done pretty much whatever they have wanted, and the Muslims in the Middle East obviously don't want Israel there. What we need to do is stop giving Israel money and support. But the Israel lobby group in America is way too powerful for that to ever happen.

Moderator's Warning:
This thread has been moved to the Middle East forum, where Martial Law applies. Familiarize yourself with the special rules that apply in this forum, and be very careful what you post from this point forward.

IT certainly may be interesting to watch.

Well, we don't know that because it hasn't happened yet. Once Israel is forced into retreating a bit, then we can measure the results.

They tried it with the West Bank, as a matter of fact, it didn't make any difference. They already tried retreating, there is a reason why they aren't accepting that as a policy requirement any longer.

The thing to do is to issue a statement saying that the US will support all new settlements be turned over to the Palestinians. That would increase the risk involved in the investment and reduce the propensity to invest in such real estate.

They tried it with the West Bank, as a matter of fact, it didn't make any difference. They already tried retreating, there is a reason why they aren't accepting that as a policy requirement any longer.

Yeah, I know Israel isn't getting the message and the US and the allies need to SIT on the Palestinians as well because THEY don't think they have to listen to anybody and Iran and the Saudis are just eggin'em on.

Here's the thing to really look at and why I'm in such favor of this latest move by US policy: how long are we going to remain hamstrung and have our peace of mind held hostage by this BS? Think about it; for decades now - it's been nothing but Israel and Middle East... Everything is a crises, everybody gets assassinated. The extremes on both sides of that feud have been running it since WWI and nobody else with any other opinion can get a word in edgewise. It's time all that BS was just put to hard stop. Enough already. It's either now or never and I for one say right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom