• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US still on track to sell F-16 fighter jets to Egypt.

Higgins86

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
BBC News - Egypt unrest: US to go ahead with F-16 jets delivery

"The US is going ahead with plans to deliver four F-16 fighter jets to Egypt despite the political unrest in the country, senior American officials say.

It comes as Washington is continuing to evaluate last week's overthrow of President Mohammed Morsi by the army. "

I'm really happy the Obama administration and the US military were able to put aside their "concern" at the on going events in Egypt and still manage to sell the much needed F-16's to a country which is falling into chaos. Oh well at the very least the government will have 4 more Jets to bomb their civilians with if this situation goes in the direction of Syria or if we are lucky they will fall into the hands of extremists whilst the country is tearing at the seams.

"The US is going ahead with plans to deliver four F-16 fighter jets to Egypt despite the political unrest in the country, senior American officials say.

It comes as Washington is continuing to evaluate last week's overthrow of President Mohammed Morsi by the army. "

I'm really happy the Obama administration and the US military were able to put aside their "concern" at the on going events in Egypt and still manage to sell the much needed F-16's to a country which is falling into chaos. Oh well at the very least the government will have 4 more Jets to bomb their civilians with if this situation goes in the direction of Syria or if we are lucky they will fall into the hands of extremists whilst the country is tearing at the seams.

Heya Higgins. :2wave: Well if they gave us the money for the goods. Well then we should deliver. As this would be per a contractual agreement. Course after that.....then we don't have to give them anything else, if we don't want to or need to.

Heya Higgins. :2wave: Well if they gave us the money for the goods. Well then we should deliver. As this would be per a contractual agreement. Course after that.....then we don't have to give them anything else, if we don't want to or need to.

Send the money back because I don't see how giving Egypt fighter jets is in anyone interest right now.

Send the money back because I don't see how giving Egypt fighter jets is in anyone interest right now.

Well.....I wouldnt re-nig on the deal. But then that's just me. Course I wouldn't do business with them again with Military tech. Myself I don't believe in sharing our tech. Not with Anyone!

It wasn't in anyones interest to let them MB deceive all that they are bout Democracy in the First Place. Never was.....and they would Only make a mockery of Democracy just so they can gain power.

My understanding is that this deal was made back in 2010 as part of the Foreign aid package. I think we need to put this in perspective here. 4 is a relatively small number when you take into account the fact that Egypt already has 240 F-16 Fighting Falcon fighters.

The Egyptian Air Force is already the 4th largest operator of F-16s in the world, after the United States, Israel, and Turkey. An extra 4 F-16s is not really going to make a whole lot of difference.

My understanding is that this deal was made back in 2010 as part of the Foreign aid package. I think we need to put this in perspective here. 4 is a relatively small number when you take into account the fact that Egypt already has 240 F-16 Fighting Falcon fighters.

The Egyptian Air Force is already the 4th largest operator of F-16s in the world, after the United States, Israel, and Turkey. An extra 4 F-16s is not really going to make a whole lot of difference.

Sorry, but that is a lousy excuse. Sending fighter jets and tanks into a country that is unstable AND could possibly be used against US in the future is not a good thing no matter how you try and pan it out.

well they got 8 in January and will get another 8 later this year so it will be 20 F-16 fighter Jets to a politically unstable country.

I think we will survive selling off 39 year old technology

We're an arms dealer. How would we look if we refused to sell arms?

Sorry, but that is a lousy excuse. Sending fighter jets and tanks into a country that is unstable AND could possibly be used against US in the future is not a good thing no matter how you try and pan it out.

well they got 8 in January and will get another 8 later this year so it will be 20 F-16 fighter Jets to a politically unstable country.

I'm not suggesting it's the smartest thing to do, i'm just saying let's keep it in perspective. They already have at least 240. It's no secret that the US is the biggest weapons dealer on the planet and i guess i'm just a little perplexed at the selective outrage here over 4 f-16's.

I'm not suggesting it's the smartest thing to do, i'm just saying let's keep it in perspective. They already have at least 240. It's no secret that the US is the biggest weapons dealer on the planet and i guess i'm just a little perplexed at the selective outrage here over 4 f-16's.

It's the principle that matters. Why give one more weapon that can possibly kill one of our soldiers?

I think we will survive selling off 39 year old technology

its called having principles and setting an example. The US reprimands Russia and China for selling arms to Syria stating that the country is unstable and those weapons could fall into the wrong hands or be used to target civilians but then engages in open trade with a country that just carried out a coup and has killed civilians this month.

Last edited:

Revoking the sale could lead to a significant loss of credibility and influence in Egypt, something that despite the media swirl we have managed to retain a great deal of. Completing the sale of four more jets is not going to upend the military balance or result in any significant consequences for the United States. Allowing the sale to be completed and avoiding a public breach is in my opinion well worth it.

its called having principles and setting an example. The US reprimands Russia and China for selling arms to Syria stating that the country is unstable and those weapons could fall into the wrong hands or be used to target civilians but then engages in open trade with a country that just carried out a coup and has killed civilians this month.

That isn't at all why we criticize Russia or China for selling arms to Syria (pointedly it has primarily been Russia not China) we criticize them because we do not think the fascistic Baath regime should be acquiring any more support. The situation in Egypt at present pales in comparison to what has occurred in Syria, and it doesn't make sense to have a complete break with Egypt when there remains the possibility of salvaging the situation.

Revoking the sale could lead to a significant loss of credibility and influence in Egypt, something that despite the media swirl we have managed to retain a great deal of. Completing the sale of four more jets is not going to upend the military balance or result in any significant consequences for the United States. Allowing the sale to be completed and avoiding a public breach is in my opinion well worth it.

If one of those jets is ever used to kill an American would you feel the same way?

If one of those jets is ever used to kill an American would you feel the same way?

Yes because the question isn't rational, it's emotive. There are 240 fighter aircraft of similar capability in the Egyptian arsenal. Assuming that there is ever a situation in which Egypt engages in hostile action against the United States it will be utterly irrelevant whether or not one of the four aircraft we delivered in 2013 is used in an attack run. It could equally have been one of (literally) a hundred other aircraft. This sale does little to alter the military equation, and it's revocation at this juncture is in my opinion more consequential than allowing it to go through. There is no need to rush through a new arms package anytime soon but maintaining the existing relationship with Egypt which is important both to the military (and by extension any new government in Egypt whether Brotherhood or otherwise) is more valuable.

It's like saying if someone has 240 rifles and you completed a sale for four more and then they ended up shooting you with it would you feel bad? Of course not because the fact that you sold them 4 out of 244 rifles had no impact on either their ability or decision to shoot you!

That isn't at all why we criticize Russia or China for selling arms to Syria (pointedly it has primarily been Russia not China) we criticize them because we do not think the fascistic Baath regime should be acquiring any more support. The situation in Egypt at present pales in comparison to what has occurred in Syria, and it doesn't make sense to have a complete break with Egypt when there remains the possibility of salvaging the situation.

Stick and stones. I'm sure Russia will point to this sale as vindication for their own dealings with countries that the US and her allies find less favourable. Worth pointing out though that no one is suggesting that we abandon Egypt however it would be prudent to hold of on anymore weapons sales to this region until they sort themselves out.

Yessiree Bob! "War is good business, and business is good." The largest arms dealer in the World and just dealing arms. There is big money in chaos, destruction, and death and don't you forget it.

It's like saying if someone has 240 rifles and you completed a sale for four more and then they ended up shooting you with it would you feel bad? Of course not because the fact that you sold them 4 out of 244 rifles had no impact on either their ability or decision to shoot you!

Then there shouldn't be any outcry over Fast and Furious since those people would have had guns that killed our border patrol anyway right?

It seems we just want to give **** to Egypt for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Is the US under some contractual agreement around the world to just give **** away (or redistribute wealth) with certain nations?

I know the Obama administration is pro-terrorist considering he backed Morsi, and the Muslim Brotherhood is an Islamic terrorist (and ironically anti-west given the circumstances) organization, but now after the coup he still wants to give???

It seems Obama is now indifferent about the situation. If Obama is so indifferent then why the hell is he still sending f-16's???

This isn't our war and we shouldn't be playing any role in it.

Well, I certainly have no reservations about selling giant flying death machines to politically unstable regions.

It seems we just want to give **** to Egypt for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Is the US under some contractual agreement around the world to just give **** away (or redistribute wealth) with certain nations?

I know the Obama administration is pro-terrorist considering he backed Morsi, and the Muslim Brotherhood is an Islamic terrorist (and ironically anti-west given the circumstances) organization, but now after the coup he still wants to give???

It seems Obama is now indifferent about the situation. If Obama is so indifferent then why the hell is he still sending f-16's???

This isn't our war and we shouldn't be playing any role in it.

couldn't agree more! Egypt has gone under a dramatic transformation over the last year with more radical groups creeping into the mainstream and then of course the Army staged a coup 2 weeks ago, I just don't think its in the US's ( or any other countrys) interest to be seen selling weapons to such a unstable country.

couldn't agree more! Egypt has gone under a dramatic transformation over the last year with more radical groups creeping into the mainstream and then of course the Army staged a coup 2 weeks ago, I just don't think its in the US's ( or any other countrys) interest to be seen selling weapons to such a unstable country.

Well, the coup/people is/are against Sharia Law and Muslim extremism so the coup IMO is a major step towards bringing the Middle East/N. Africa or the M.E and Africa as a whole into the 21st century...

Egypt is pretty modernized, however these Muslim extremists want people to live under their religious fascism and under their Sharia Law its all or nothing.

The majority of Egyptians want western democracy -- or for a better word an "emulation" of a democratic republic.

I suppose this is what happens when a minority attempts to control and rule over a strong majority...

Apples and oranges, please:roll:

Back
Top Bottom