• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US soldiers 'killed Afghan civilians for sport and collected fingers as trophies

Reading the article might help:
still doesn't show where anyone gave anything to the army. and when did the couple give the stuff to the AP?

I'd like to see the evidence where this kid or his parents tried to notify the army. sounds to me a lot like the kid got caught and now daddy is trying to cover his ass by claiming "we tried to tell them"

That could very well be the case. Or, the daddy is a anti-war kook, who is only trying to throw gas on the fire.

There's a reporter at every turn in Afghanistan, mostly Libbos acting as watchdogs, in case some one the army gives a captured Islamofacist a dirty look or something. That kid couldn't find one to tell his story to? I'm having a tough time buying into that.

still doesn't show where anyone gave anything to the army. And when did the couple give the stuff to the ap?
Read

the

article.
winfield asked his parents to call an army hotline because he didn't want anyone to overhear him using the phone.

His father, a marine veteran, was shocked, and made five calls to military officials that day, his phone records show.

He said he left a message on a defense department hotline and called four numbers at fort lewis. He said he spoke with an on-duty sergeant and left a message at an army criminal investigations division office before reaching the base's command center.

In that call, an official told him that if his son wasn't willing to come forward while deployed, there was nothing the base could do, winfield recalled in interviews with the ap and in a sworn statement to army investigators.

I don't get it. Why morons like this, if the allegations are true, want to kill civilians. When in a warzone there is ample opportunity to legitimately kill people. i have done it and there was nothing fun, thrilling or exciting about it. it is, and should be, something done out of necessity and nothing more.

If these guys are guilty I hope they fry

Sometimes, in a war zone, where the enemy doesn't wear uniforms, it can be difficult to tell enemy soldiers and civilians apart. I believe that this is part of the reason that so many civilians are dying. But hunting Afghans for sport and collecting trophies? This is sick. These are the kinds of soldiers who, when returning home, could very well not be able to turn it off, and become serial killers.

My remedy? Treat them for their illness, then give them life in prison, along with a dishonorable discharge.

I doubt that it's true.

Sounds and awful lot like the Inglorious Bastards . . . is there a Stieglitz on the team perchance?

while we both might wish this were not true, just like abu grahib, it appears there is a basis to move forward aginst the soldiers

But I thought we went to those countries to do good :roll:

We?

I dont know, Laila...if you want to throw around vague generalizations about people based on the alleged actions of individuals, I can throw some fresh video of representatives of 'you' and your so called 'religion of peace'...

Read on down:If true, that is a major problem.

Wanna know the best thing about a combat zone? PFC Stoner has a loaded weapon, too.

Had that been me in that hooch; someone might not have come out, alive.

I just went and grabbed a fatty-natty out of the fridge and took out some porchops for supper and taking that few moments to think about it, I would have went ahead and fragged those two dudes, before they got the chance to zap me.

But, at the end of the day, he should have reported these soldiers to higher and made it very clear that he would do what he had to do to protect himself.

Personally, I'm more appaled about the hash smoking, than cutting off fingers.

Sometimes, in a war zone, where the enemy doesn't wear uniforms, it can be difficult to tell enemy soldiers and civilians apart. I believe that this is part of the reason that so many civilians are dying. But hunting Afghans for sport and collecting trophies? This is sick. These are the kinds of soldiers who, when returning home, could very well not be able to turn it off, and become serial killers.

My remedy? Treat them for their illness, then give them life in prison, along with a dishonorable discharge.

Well, a dishonorable discharge isn't optional, when you sentence a soldier to life in the stocakde. Kinda comes as a package deal. That being said, if these clowns were participating in illegal killings, then they need to be stood in front of a firing squad, or hung.

Wanna know the best thing about a combat zone? PFC Stoner has a loaded weapon, too.

Had that been me in that hooch; someone might not have come out, alive.

I just went and grabbed a fatty-natty out of the fridge and took out some porchops for supper and taking that few moments to think about it, I would have went ahead and fragged those two dudes, before they got the chance to zap me.

But, at the end of the day, he should have reported these soldiers to higher and made it very clear that he would do what he had to do to protect himself.

Personally, I'm more appaled about the hash smoking, than cutting off fingers.
Can't say as I'd be real disappointed had he iced those clowns.

As to the hash, one wonders if that led to the fingers, as in some sort of organized drug ring or something.

Well, a dishonorable discharge isn't optional, when you sentence a soldier to life in the stocakde. Kinda comes as a package deal. That being said, if these clowns were participating in illegal killings, then they need to be stood in front of a firing squad, or hung.
Hanged, you mean.

I suspect a very long stay at a certain disciplinary barracks in Kansas is in these boys' near future.

while we both might wish this were not true, just like abu grahib, it appears there is a basis to move forward aginst the soldiers

There's basis for an investigation, but no basis for any formal charges against those soldiers.

Let's be careful and not get all John Murtha about this.

It is from The Guardian though, so the odds are pretty good that it isn't.

sorry to burst your balloon but whether you share the Guardians liberal viewpoint or not, it is one of the best papers for accuracy.

Last edited:
sorry to burst your baloon but whether you share the Guardians liberal viewpoint or not, it is one of the best papers for accuracy.
I'd be interested in why the Guardian is suddenly jumping on the story. Seems this has been in the news for at least a couple of months:

Wasilla soldier charged with murder, assault: Afghanistan | adn.com
Local News | Stryker soldiers allegedly plotted to kill Afghan civilians | Seattle Times Newspaper

EDIT:
Aha - Lord Tammerlain kind of summed it up on the first page - the story itself is a few months old, but the part about keeping body parts just came out yesterday when the Army released more documents. Some are reporting that they kept leg bones and other parts in addition to the fingers -

Just nasty.

Last edited:

Knowing more than a few Nam vets, I don't find it hard to imagine this being done by guys that would be perfectly fine at home. War is horrific. Not being sure who the enemy is 24/7 must be terrifying. Every civie is suspect. If you've ever watched a couple of your buddies blown up by a terrorist bomber dressed as a farmer, I'd imagine you'd see a terrorist bomber behind every farmer outfit. It's no stretch of the imagination to think these accusations have basis in fact. And it's no stretch of the imagination to think that our fine young men get to a fear point where they're easily able to dehumanize the enemy.

Regardless, it can't be tolerated. And if these guys did this, we need to make an example of them. War is hell, yes?

This is why there is a day of judgement....

and this is also why i spit on john lennon for singing, "imagine there's no heaven"...

I'd be interested in why the Guardian is suddenly jumping on the story. Seems this has been in the news for at least a couple of months:
Wasilla soldier charged with murder, assault: Afghanistan | adn.com
Local News | Stryker soldiers allegedly plotted to kill Afghan civilians | Seattle Times Newspaper

well clearly not enough as no one else on this thread had heard about it, so much so that some thought it was made up. We have soldiers dying in Afghanistan. What happens there is of importance to us.

So, you got your mind made up that they're guilty? 'Nuff said?
No, innocent until proven guilty. However, based upon the evidence available, it doesn't look so good. But this is why we have investigations.

There's basis for an investigation, but no basis for any formal charges against those soldiers.

Let's be careful and not get all John Murtha about this.

i was thinking it to be more like william calley

US soldiers 'killed Afghan civilians for sport and collected fingers as trophies' | World news | The Guardian

If true, I hope they fry... the are a disgrace to the US military and the US as a whole.

You mean they are not all heroes? The media told me everyone that serves is a hero! They lied to me.

Seriously having served in uniform there's always a few POS that make the rest of us look bad. That and redeploying them over and over can make monsters out of some men.

My satire on the word hero is due to the fact that is has been way overused by the media in the latest two wars.

My dad came back from Vietnam and Cambodia was was spat on. Now EVERYONE that puts on a uniform is a hero. Really cheapens the word.

No, innocent until proven guilty. However, based upon the evidence available, it doesn't look so good. But this is why we have investigations.

A newspaper article is evidence? For real?!?

Back
Top Bottom