• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US soldier charged with planning a 'mass casualty' attack on his own unit

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
US soldier charged with planning a 'mass casualty' attack on his own unit

190305093213-03-us-department-of-justice-file-large-169.jpg

6/22/20
The Justice Department announced Monday an indictment charging a US Army soldier with planning a "mass casualty" attack on his own unit by sending sensitive details to members of an occult-based neo-Nazi and white supremacist group. Ethan Melzer, 22, is charged with conspiring and attempting to murder US nationals, conspiring and attempting to murder military service members, providing and attempting to provide material support to terrorists and conspiring to murder and maim in a foreign country. "As the indictment lays out, Ethan Melzer plotted a deadly ambush on his fellow soldiers in the service of a diabolical cocktail of ideologies laced with hate and violence," Assistant Attorney General for National Security John C. Demers said in a statement. "Our women and men in uniform risk their lives for our country, but they should never face such peril at the hands of one of their own." That message was echoed by acting US Attorney Audrey Strauss, who called Melzer "the enemy within" based on the indictment.

According to the indictment, Melzer had specifically been communicating with an extremist group called "Order of the Nine Angles," whose members "have espoused violent, neo-Nazi, anti-Semitic and satanic beliefs and have expressed admiration for, among others, Nazis, such as Adolf Hitler." After the Army informed Melzer of plans for a further deployment of his unit around April, he used an encrypted application to send messages to members of "Order of the Nine Angles" including information related to his unit's anticipated deployment location and security details in order to facilitate an attack, the indictment states. According to the indictment, Melzer acknowledged in his communication with the group that he could be killed during the attack, writing that he "would've died successfully" and the aftermath "would be another war." The US Army and FBI said Monday that they thwarted Melzer's plan in May and he was arrested on June 10.

I'm sick and tired of these neo-Nazi/far-right extremist groups.

Right-wing extremism I believe causes far more damage and death that other groups. So it's not surprising. Thankfully this was discovered and stopped.

22 years old and in more trouble than he could've possibly imagined.

POS loser blaming the world (except the male white-skinned, blue-eyed ones) for his being a loser.

When yer at the bottom of the human total pole, ya gotta invent reasons that other people are *naturally* lower than you.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

Back
Top Bottom