• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US Soccer

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
World cup qualifier today. US just beat Mexico 2-0 and right now Honduras is playing Panama. If Honduras wins or it is a draw, the US is full into the World cup. Right now Honduras vs Panama 1-1 and it's just beginning the 2nd half.

despite years of trying to make soccer popular in the USA, our best athletes don't play the game. If we qualify for the WC despite that lack of talent, its amazing given it is the sport that most countries best athletes gravitate to, at least in terms of team sports

We have football which is MUCH better IMO. :)

Compared to football, soccer is terminally boring.

The players just seem to run around and no one does anything interesting.

That's how I feel too. I'm not too interested in soccer.

Sounds like you're talking about NASCAR.

Meh, I'm not that fond of commercials.

That is the downside for sure. I'll tell you this, do not EVER and I mean EVAR!!!!!!! go to an arena football game. Most commercialized crap garbage **** you will ever see. It's you, buying a ticket to watch nonstop advertisments with someone ocassionally throwing a football.

It's very ****ing gross and once you're done throwing up you'll miss the money you paid to watch that trash.

Last edited:

Different strokes. You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger football nut than me. And I don't care for soccer that much but when world cup comes around, the excitement brimming around the entire world is just incredible.

Different strokes. You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger football nut than me. And I don't care for soccer that much but when world cup comes around, the excitement brimming around the entire world is just incredible.

Soccer is one of those sports to really be into it no matter who is playing, you have to had played probably.

Honduras and Panama just tied. America just qualifed for the World cup for the 7th straight time.

WOOT!

Soccer is one of those sports to really be into it no matter who is playing, you have to had played probably.

The world cup draws me into it. Tomorrow I think Ireland plays France. Time to put on my underdog pants and invite my smelly French friend over to watch.

Last edited:
Nice to wake up and see the US will be down in Brazil, always a fun team to watch. The game is getting bigger and bigger every year in the US which is nice to see.

I disagree I think its universally loved because of the passion displayed on the pitch.

One of the best games I ever saw, in any sport, was a few years ago- UEFA Champions League, Barcelona against Celtic in Glasgow. A wonderful game, attackattackattack. It ended Barca 3-2 Celtic and by the end the Celtic support were chanting, "Barca! Barca!" and the Spanish visitors were chanting, "Celtic! Celtic!".
One of those moments that only happens in sports and rare enough there.

The world cup draws me into it. Tomorrow I think Ireland plays France. Time to put on my underdog pants and invite my smelly French friend over to watch.

France won last night against Bielorussia (4-2) while Ireland was defeated in Austria (1-0). Both teams play in different qualifying groups. Ireland doesn't look like they will qualify. France still has a slim chance though.

France won last night against Bielorussia (4-2) while Ireland was defeated in Austria (1-0). Both teams play in different qualifying groups. Ireland doesn't look like they will qualify. France still has a slim chance though.

Still gotta pull for my fellow red-headed peeps and perhaps relatives.

Maybe for Europe, but not really for the Americans.

Really? US has a huge fan base especially with men in their 20s and its not like they continue playing once they leave school. Atmosphere looked great at the US game last night, surprised me.

Really? US has a huge fan base especially with men in their 20s and its not like they continue playing once they leave school. Atmosphere looked great at the US game last night, surprised me.

A lot of those people hail from other countries. Personally, I don't know too many people that watch soccer. American football, OTH, is extremely popular in America. We love our football! :)

Ah, the World Cup is drawing closer and closer.

I can hardly wait!

A lot of those people hail from other countries. Personally, I don't know too many people that watch soccer. American football, OTH, is extremely popular in America. We love our football! :)

Yep lived in new England so im aware of that ;). However Soccer is huge in other parts of the US its also the most played sport at a youth level in the US.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom