• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US shaken by sudden surge of violence against gay people

This is the first I've heard of it. :shrug:

I bet it's a case of something similar to missing white woman syndrome.

I have heard nothing whatsoever that would indicate to me any such thing.

What be that be? Never heard of it.

When a pretty white girl goes missing, the news cannot talk about anything else for weeks on end. Ugly/old/minority/male? Maybe you get a one-line mention on your local news station. Maybe.

When a pretty white girl goes missing, the news cannot talk about anything else for weeks on end. Ugly/old/minority/male? Maybe you get a one-line mention on your local news station. Maybe.
Probably related to the fact that sex (or as close as they're allowed to get on national TV) sells, and hot/pretty white girls are, likely, attractive (not to say, sexually attractive/sexy), thus drawing more viewers to their station.

Or so goes my guess at what the theory is, in my cynical mind.

Overhyped news-fodder. Very little violence against gays for being gay in the news here. None locally for quite some time.

I think that this is the opposite, more of a matter of gays being more accepted in society, and any bigotry against them becoming more and more unacceptable, and therefore noticeable.

Last edited:
Overhyped news-fodder. Very little violence against gays for being gay in the news here. None locally for quite some time.

Let us not though, dismiss any attacks as un-newsworthy.

"An injustice anywhere, is an injustice everywhere".

Let us not though, dismiss any attacks as un-newsworthy.

"An injustice anywhere, is an injustice everywhere".
True, but there's only 22 minutes in the average American newscast and only so much space on the front page of a newspaper.

Probably related to the fact that sex (or as close as they're allowed to get on national TV) sells, and hot/pretty white girls are, likely, attractive (not to say, sexually attractive/sexy), thus drawing more viewers to their station.

Or so goes my guess at what the theory is, in my cynical mind.

It isn't just "pretty hot white" girls. There are more missing white children, male and female, featured than any other race. Why is that?

Last edited:
It isn't just "pretty hot white" girls. There are more missing white children, male and female, featured than any other race. Why is that?
There are?

I must admit, I haven't watched TV news of any form in several years.

Can you show me a story or study on this phenomenon?

It could be that, due to white-skinned persons being the majority, a larger number of white-skinned persons are kidnapped/whatever, and thus a larger number of white-skinned persons are showing up in the news in such a way.

Driving back on-topic, are there any actual studies that track anti-homosexual violence? It would be interesting to see what the media impression of the violence is compared to the actual amount of violence.

I worked in a mid-size police department. They tracked anti-gay violence for a year at the request of the local GLBT community. Something like 90% of the violence was gay on gay. Domestic violence cases, not anti-gay assaults.

Ah, okay. Yes, that does happen. I think here we'd refer to that as the Madeleine Effect, after the Madeleine McCann case.

I am "shaken" by how lame the title of that article is.

This is something I've actually seen. I live in a neighborhood with a high population of blacks, Armenians, and Latinos. When someone goes missing around here, there's very little ever said about it. I'd chalk it up to this being a "bad" part of town but it really isnt.

I think that this is the opposite, more of a matter of gays being more accepted in society, and any bigotry against them becoming more and more unacceptable, and therefore noticeable.
I think this is probably more the case than anything else. We notice it more because we pay attention to it and we are more open to it when people report it.

There seem to be no more attacks on homosexuals today than there were in the 50s based on the number of homosexuals in the population.

Today when a homosexual is involved in any kind of confrontation it is automatically because of being homosexual.

Never is it because some person was being an obnoxious idiot that pushed someone into kicking some butt.

I'm not saying that's the reason for all fights attacks or what ever, but you never hear this and it must happen from time to time.

The news media loves reports like this because it is true in the news business if it bleeds it leads and right now any issue or story that can be used as a weapon against any Republican, or Conservative is every bit as good to the Obamamedia as a video of a blood soaked side street in some ghetto in Detroit.

Carl Paladino, is and idiot and seems to not have a brain in his head or he would not make statements that can be used as a bat to bash his tiny little brain in with.

Even if he truly believes what he says it's no way to win any votes from Liberals and the reason is obvious but also from Conservatives because it does bring into question his intelligence. If he were tome in a predominantly Conservative State it might look so stupid.

He is a for real dumb ass

Last edited:
There seem to be no more attacks on homosexuals today than there were in the 50s based on the number of homosexuals in the population.

Today when a homosexual is involved in any kind of confrontation it is automatically because of being homosexual.

Never is it because some person was being an obnoxious idiot that pushed someone into kicking some butt.

I'm not saying that's the reason for all fights attacks or what ever, but you never hear this and it must happen from time to time.

The news media loves reports like this because it is true in the news business if it bleeds it leads and right now any issue or story that can be used as a weapon against any Republican, or Conservative is every bit as good to the Obamamedia as a video of a blood soaked side street in some ghetto in Detroit.

Carl Paladino, is and idiot and seems to not have a brain in his head or he would not make statements that can be used as a bat to bash his tiny little brain in with.

Even if he truly believes what he says it's no way to win any votes from Liberals and the reason is obvious but also from Conservatives because it does bring into question his intelligence. If he were tome in a predominantly Conservative State it might look so stupid.

He is a for real dumb ass

I was at Disney World during the gay parade, I saw a group of gay guys heckling Christians (in general, not a specific person), almost everyone around got tense quickly and could tell a fight was going to start ... it did when someone told him to just shutup and keep it to himself; I wonder if that guy was a subject of "gay bashing"? Or did he get bashed for being a d-bag?

(the gay guy lost the fight)

Just an anecdote to support the idea that "not all gay people getting beat-up is because of homophobia".

That said, I haven't noticed any "gay violence" news stories around; if anything homophobia is becoming less and less acceptable. Homophobes are seen as the equivalent to racist at this point, though I disagree with the equivalence.

Last edited:
Is this really happening? Is this a trend that DPers are seeing in their own communities? I'd be very interested to hear whether anyone agrees or disagrees with the thrust of this article.
The article is mostly about blaming republican campaign rhetoric for a claimed increase in violence. The first two incidents described were perpetrated by gang activity. The third was a dorm-room prank with tragic consequences. It's a complete stretch to associate any with Pallatino's expressed antipathy of gay pride parades, or DeMint's comments regarding gays in teaching, but doesn't stop the authors from claiming that "such sentiments do not just encourage violent attacks; they can also spur people to suicide."

Here are the details on the first attack mentioned:
Three of the gang members saw their 17-year-old recruit coming out of an apartment occupied by a 30-year-old man known throughout the neighborhood as "La Reina." It was well-known that the man was gay, and the three wanted to know why the teen was at his apartment, authorities said.

They took the teen to an abandoned apartment at about 3:30 a.m. Oct. 3 and beat him until he confessed he had a sexual encounter with the man, police said.

"You crazy, you lost your mind," gang member Nelson Falu said, as he sliced the teen with a box cutter, prosecutors said. David Rivera hit him in the head with a shaving can and Mendez shoved the wooden handle of a plunger into the teen's rectum. "Do you like this?" he asked, according to the criminal complaint.
This has nothing to do with "republican sentiments" and everything to do with a Latino gang finding out that one of their recruits was having gay sex.

Back
Top Bottom