• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

US Secretly Monitored For Nuclear Bombs Inside US

TimmyBoy

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I remember debating with some members of the forum and I discussed the very real possibility of nuclear terrorism. They disagreed, stating that their are strict control over all nuclear weapons worldwide and if that one went missing, it would set off alarm bells and immediately found. This is not the case. The former Soviet Union does not have the control that is necessary over their nukes and their are several rougue nuclear scientists who sympathize with Al-Queda in Islamic and Third World nations who already have or can potentially develop a nuclear weapons capability. Here is the article:

Mosques monitored for radiation: report 7 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. officials have secretly monitored radiation levels at Muslim sites, including mosques and private homes, since September 11, 2001 as part of a top secret program searching for nuclear bombs, U.S. News and World Report said on Friday.

The news magazine said in its online edition that the far-reaching program covered more than a hundred sites in the Washington, D.C., area and at least five other cities.

"In numerous cases, the monitoring required investigators to go on to the property under surveillance, although no search warrants or court orders were ever obtained, according to those with knowledge of the program," the magazine said.

The report comes a week after revelations that the Bush administration had authorized eavesdropping on people in the United States. U.S. President George W. Bush has defended that covert program and vowed to continue the practice, saying it was vital to protect the country.

Senior U.S. officials, including FBI Director Robert Mueller, have repeatedly said Islamic militants appeared intent on acquiring weapons of mass destruction for an attack against the United States.

Hmm, I think it is a good possibility that Al-queda might have a nuclear or WMD device already but have intentionally decided not to use it, at least not yet. That is my hypothesis.

Mueller said in February he was "very concerned with the growing body of sensitive reporting that continues to show al Qaeda's clear intention to obtain and ultimately use some form of chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear or high-energy explosives material in its attacks against America."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051223/ts_nm/security_usa_surveillance_dc

Al-Qaeda is simply not capable of holding a nuke long enough to carefully plan its use; they'd almost certainly blow up the nearest city as soon as possible. It's tactically a bad move to hold it, and I doubt that the al-Qaeda grunts who were in charge of it would take the time to consider every possible ramification when they could achieve instant martyrdom.

It'd be like a little kid who finds a $100 bill; is he more likely to invest it, or spend it all immediately on candy and toys?

Last edited:
I think if Al Qaeda had nukes on 9/11 they would've used them but I doubt they have any know and I doubt even more that they actually somehow smuggled one inside the U.S.

I have to disagree with both of you. I remember when I was overseas dealing with Russian paratroopers they seemed to be involved with an array of illegal activity. It's part of the collapsed society they came from and they have to be criminal in order to survive. They would sell their soul to the devil in order to make ends meet. The US government, as you can see, takes the threat very seriously. The US government wouldn't be scanning for these things if they didn't think it was a real possibility. It would be a waste of time, money and resources if the US government had the same views that you guys have. And I am sure they have professional people, much more knowledgeable than any of us, working this issue.

Docs and records found in Afghanistan clearly and unequivocally demonstrated that al Qaeda was pursuing nukes, especially the 'dirty' kind. The proximity to Pakistan, with its high incidence of bin Laden sympathizers, and the infamous A.Q. Khan network, which sold nuke tech to basically anyone, is certainly worrisome. But so far, there is no indication that al Qaeda actually did succeed in obtaining anything like they wanted.

oldreliable67 said:
Docs and records found in Afghanistan clearly and unequivocally demonstrated that al Qaeda was pursuing nukes, especially the 'dirty' kind. The proximity to Pakistan, with its high incidence of bin Laden sympathizers, and the infamous A.Q. Khan network, which sold nuke tech to basically anyone, is certainly worrisome. But so far, there is no indication that al Qaeda actually did succeed in obtaining anything like they wanted.

That's exactly right. However, just because proof doesn't exist that Al-queda doesn't have a nuclear weapon, doesn't necessarily mean they do not possess a nuclear or WMD device. It is quite possible that they were skillful in preventing any evidence from being left behind. I know that Pakistan's scientist Khan would sell the tech to anybody and the Al-queda leadership is very wealthy. This is also one of the reasons that I say that freedom is a pre-requisite for the human species to survive. When certain segments of the human species are denied freedom for a certain period of time, they turn to terrorism and extremism. The answer to terrorism is not more control over the world's population as many governments did (including the US government) right after September 11, but to promote freedom abroad, but not on false pretexts that Bush gave to go into Iraq, that Iraq possessed WMD. This is a turning point where the world can choose to live in freedom and go down the right path or we can face a dark world where governments control every aspect of people's lives and have some people turn to extremism which can lead to the destruction of mankind. Freedom is a pre-requisite for the survival of the human species and acts like the "Patriot" Act do not promote freedom or human survival. It is only with the ideas of freedom and practicing true freedom and setting a good example can we defeat the terrorists. That good example is a society without the "Patriot" Act.

Half a year ago Nunn, Luger, and Thompson were on Meet the Press saying this exactly was the biggest concern. I agree. IMO on 9/11 if the terrorists had nukes they would have used them instead. Though I think they would start with Israel. Osama before 9/11 stated that America did not have the stomach for war. That said from inside Afghanistan where women now vote. I can only hope that were the terrorists to have a nuke they now have reason to think twice. We will come free your women. But I doubt they can think such. I can also only hope the US has a standing offer to Russians that we will pay triple for any nuke what the terrorists offer. Wouldn't surprise me if this is on the table and has been done. What would you do if you were in charge? Of course we would never know such. As it should be. Don't forget Iran folks. They are getting there. But that's M14's baby. As for the thread tittle: We better friggin be doing that!

oldreliable67 said:

What is a dirty nuke?

dirty nukes...

Two types of nukes sought by terrorist: one, a compact size nuke warhead of the size that can be transported relatively easily; the smaller the better for ease of transportation and concealment purposes. Most nukes produced for military purposes are relatively clean, that is, they have large destructive power but emit relatively low amounts of long-lasting radiation.

The "dirty" type of nuke on the other hand has not only destructive power but also emits relatively large amounts of radiation. These were tested underground by both the US and the Soviets way back when, so as to keep the radiation out of the atmosphere.

The "dirty" nuke is different from the "dirty bomb" that we've all heard so much about in recent years. The "dirty bomb" is merely a device using conventional explosives but designed to spread radiation. Sort of a cross between a dirty nuke and a conventional explosive device.

Back
Top Bottom