• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US scientists find potentially habitable planet near Earth

Not sure that this makes sense. Wouldn't the warm side cause air to rise and draw in air from the cold side. At surface level, the winds would be from the night side and at upper levels, toward the night side. Of course, the winds would a lot greater if there was some mixing function like planetary rotation.

You're right. I had it backwards.

The overall density of the atmosphere would also come into play regarding surface winds, but atmospheric winds would be pretty strong regardless.

You're right. I had it backwards.

The overall density of the atmosphere would also come into play regarding surface winds, but atmospheric winds would be pretty strong regardless.

On the other hand, the weather would probably be very consistent, depending on the orbital eccentricity anyway.

Actually, boith sides would be uninhaitable. Only the "terminus" (the band that exists between the sun-side and dark-side) would be habitable. Teh side facing the sun would be far too hot, the side facing away would be far too cold.

As pointed out above, the side facing the sun would be uninhabitable even at the equator. I should also note that with a tidally locked planet, the "equator" would be somewhat irrelevent regarding habitability becasue the affects of the equator on climate are dependent on the planet's rotation.

A tidally locked planet does rotate. It's just that the rotation period is exactly equal to it's orbital period, thus preventing a day/night cycle.

If it didn't rotate at all, it would have a day/night cycle and that cycle would be equal to the orbital period.

In a case where there was no rotation, the end result would be that only small sections on the poles would be habitable (think of the arctic and antarctic circles with this).

Since it is tidally locked, the entire terminus becomes potentially habitable. There would be a ring of habitability that runs perpendicular to the orbital plane.
It would take a long post just to list, in single spaced/single column, all the necessary requirements that make Earth, or any planet, habitable to humans... assuming we can come up with the technology and energy to accomplish space travel exceeding a few light months, much less light years.
But for those who want to be on the first ship, I have some Space Travel luggage for sale...:2razz:

It would take a long post just to list, in single spaced/single column, all the necessary requirements that make Earth, or any planet, habitable to humans... assuming we can come up with the technology and energy to accomplish space travel exceeding a few light months, much less light years.
But for those who want to be on the first ship, I have some Space Travel luggage for sale...:2razz:

It probably wouldn't require as much as you'd think for humans to inhabit another world. Non-toxic liquid water, a breathable atmoshpere of similar density, comparable gravity, and moderate temps would go a long way towards allowing humans to survive on another planet.

Then it would be a matter of logistics regarding feeding the inhabitants and such. There would likely be the need to import soil for crops, for example.

It wouldn't take much for earth to become unlivable. gonna see if I can find more info on this.
Have you seen "what if there was no moon?" television show? Earth's rotation would become wobbly, climate would become erratic, etc.

Originally Posted by Crunch
Oh..... and we wouldn't try to get rich off the hoax either.

What? You're not capitalists?

Sure I'm a capitalist....... I just don't like people to profit from fraud at my expense, do you?

It probably wouldn't require as much as you'd think for humans to inhabit another world. Non-toxic liquid water, a breathable atmoshpere of similar density, comparable gravity, and moderate temps would go a long way towards allowing humans to survive on another planet.

Then it would be a matter of logistics regarding feeding the inhabitants and such. There would likely be the need to import soil for crops, for example.

Or bring some dead fish.. :)

Tim-

Nobody knows for sure, but I suspect the earth will become so polluted and infested by man's stupidity that we will suffer from starvation and disease long before we get our self centered heads out of our butts...
And even then, we won't cooperate enough to populate another planet.

Back
Top Bottom