• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US scientists find potentially habitable planet near Earth

Every Star in this Universe will die in some manner just like our Sun so simply finding another Planet within the comfort zone of its Sun is not enough.

The key to the ultimate survival of civilizations is to figure out how to bring energy to planets at a safe distance from their stars.....stars of the type that will not explode into a supernova...

The key to the ultimate survival of civilizations is to figure out how to creat energy long after all the Stars in the Universe burn out...

That's all well and good, but what are you going to do in 30 billion years when the heat death of the Universe happens? (universal climate change?...... don't tell the libs, they'll want to start taxing us now!)

That's all well and good, but what are you going to do in 30 billion years when the heat death of the Universe happens? (universal climate change?...... don't tell the libs, they'll want to start taxing us now!)

Conservatives will assume that the free market will cut back on entropy all on its own. :rolleyes:

Conservatives will assume that the free market will cut back on entropy all on its own. :rolleyes:

No......... a conservative would recognize it as a normal condition of nature and not try to make it a political football controllable by increased federal taxes and regulation.

Oh..... and we wouldn't try to get rich off the hoax either. :roll:

Exciting news, but not as exciting when one breaks it all down. 1. 20 LY is very far away, 2. Only one side of the planet faces the Sun, making the other half uninhabitable, 3. The side facing the planet would only have a very small habitable zone as it stretches out across the equatoiral plain, 4. As noted, we don't know anything more than that this plaet appears to be within the habitable zone, relative to our habitable zone, 5. The data on the Sun itself is limited, what we do know is that it is only 33% the size of Sol, and much dimmer, 6. The planet orbits the sun every 37 days or so, 7. No night, 8. The psychological impacts on humans is unknown, 9. The gravity is thought to be close to our own experienced here on Earth.

Just a few highlights.. :)

Oh, sorry if any of these have ben reported already?

Tim-

2. Only one side of the planet faces the Sun, making the other half uninhabitable

Actually, boith sides would be uninhaitable. Only the "terminus" (the band that exists between the sun-side and dark-side) would be habitable. Teh side facing the sun would be far too hot, the side facing away would be far too cold.

3. The side facing the planet would only have a very small habitable zone as it stretches out across the equatoiral plain,

As pointed out above, the side facing the sun would be uninhabitable even at the equator. I should also note that with a tidally locked planet, the "equator" would be somewhat irrelevent regarding habitability becasue the affects of the equator on climate are dependent on the planet's rotation.

A tidally locked planet does rotate. It's just that the rotation period is exactly equal to it's orbital period, thus preventing a day/night cycle.

If it didn't rotate at all, it would have a day/night cycle and that cycle would be equal to the orbital period.

In a case where there was no rotation, the end result would be that only small sections on the poles would be habitable (think of the arctic and antarctic circles with this).

Since it is tidally locked, the entire terminus becomes potentially habitable. There would be a ring of habitability that runs perpendicular to the orbital plane.

That's all well and good, but what are you going to do in 30 billion years when the heat death of the Universe happens?

by that point I plan on being vaporized into sub-atomic particles by then. It's on my bucket list.

Actually, boith sides would be uninhaitable. Only the "terminus" (the band that exists between the sun-side and dark-side) would be habitable. Teh side facing the sun would be far too hot, the side facing away would be far too cold.

As pointed out above, the side facing the sun would be uninhabitable even at the equator. I should also note that with a tidally locked planet, the "equator" would be somewhat irrelevent regarding habitability becasue the affects of the equator on climate are dependent on the planet's rotation.

A tidally locked planet does rotate. It's just that the rotation period is exactly equal to it's orbital period, thus preventing a day/night cycle.

If it didn't rotate at all, it would have a day/night cycle and that cycle would be equal to the orbital period.

In a case where there was no rotation, the end result would be that only small sections on the poles would be habitable (think of the arctic and antarctic circles with this).

Since it is tidally locked, the entire terminus becomes potentially habitable. There would be a ring of habitability that runs perpendicular to the orbital plane.

Living in the dawn/dusk zone, quite right. Also, I wonder what the winds would be like, assuming an atmosphere? Low pressure, high pressure? Curious little planet, eh?

Tim-

Exciting news, but not as exciting when one breaks it all down. 1. 20 LY is very far away, 2. Only one side of the planet faces the Sun, making the other half uninhabitable, 3. The side facing the planet would only have a very small habitable zone as it stretches out across the equatoiral plain, 4. As noted, we don't know anything more than that this plaet appears to be within the habitable zone, relative to our habitable zone, 5. The data on the Sun itself is limited, what we do know is that it is only 33% the size of Sol, and much dimmer, 6. The planet orbits the sun every 37 days or so, 7. No night, 8. The psychological impacts on humans is unknown, 9. The gravity is thought to be close to our own experienced here on Earth.

Just a few highlights.. :)

Oh, sorry if any of these have ben reported already?

Tim-

The excitement is that after looking at a few drops of water in a vast ocean we have our hunches verified, now that we know there are vaguely similar planets in a tiny sample size, we get confirmation that there are likely to be extremely similar planets as well. When we expand the sample from a few drops to a few thimblefuls, to a few glasses we will find more, and among these there will be planets that have varying degrees of similarity to ours, including the very likely probability that there will be numerous finds that are strikingly similar to Earth

The excitement is that after looking at a few drops of water in a vast ocean we have our hunches verified, now that we know there are vaguely similar planets in a tiny sample size, we get confirmation that there are likely to be extremely similar planets as well. When we expand the sample from a few drops to a few thimblefuls, to a few glasses we will find more, and among these there will be planets that have varying degrees of similarity to ours, including the very likely probability that there will be numerous finds that are strikingly similar to Earth

Agreed,

Tim-

Living in the dawn/dusk zone, quite right. Also, I wonder what the winds would be like, assuming an atmosphere? Low pressure, high pressure? Curious little planet, eh?

Tim-

I'd guess that due to the heat differential on the planet, there would be fairly cosntant winds travelling toward the night side. Most likely very strong winds, too.

I'd guess that due to the heat differential on the planet, there would be fairly cosntant winds travelling toward the night side. Most likely very strong winds, too.

well, there's our power source.. :)

Let get going..

Tim-

humans won't be around long enough to see the end of the world.

If a tree falls in the forest, but nobody heard it, did it really fall?

If the world ended, but nobody was around to witness it, did it ever exist? :mrgreen:

No......... a conservative would recognize it as a normal condition of nature and not try to make it a political football controllable by increased federal taxes and regulation.

Oh..... and we wouldn't try to get rich off the hoax either. :roll:

He didn't get the joke.

Well Pal I must enlighten you about my position on global warming. I do not claim that there is not any Global Warming, When I say that Global Warming is a HOAX I am referring to wild and unsubstantiated claims that it is caused as the result of human endeavors that is just pan wrong because wild climate changes have taken place from hot to cold since way before man had any chance to impact any changes.

Like now all we are hearing is that we have to curb greenhouse gases. Truth is and facts tell us that Volcano's and the simple act of breathing of the Dinosaurs produced much more CO2 and other noxious gases into the atmosphere and plant life thrived and the Dinos did not die because of them breathing.

I'm all for truth and facts, do you have any? Sure, volcanoes can spew a lot of ash and gases and there have been major events caused by volcanoes including major extinction events. I don't know about you but I'd rather that we not have another major extinction event right now.

The rate of C02 production by dinosaurs was nowhere near the production of C02 by our burning of fossil fuels (unless you accumulate all the dinosaur breathing over the 10's of millions of years that they existed versus the 60-ish years of our heavy-duty fossil burning).

I'd guess that due to the heat differential on the planet, there would be fairly constant winds traveling toward the night side. Most likely very strong winds, too.

Not sure that this makes sense. Wouldn't the warm side cause air to rise and draw in air from the cold side. At surface level, the winds would be from the night side and at upper levels, toward the night side. Of course, the winds would a lot greater if there was some mixing function like planetary rotation.

Moderator's Warning:
Not a GW thread. Let's stick to the OP topic

How soon can the ships be ready to ship the liberals and all they care about there? ;)

j-mac

Moderator's Warning:
Councilman is thread banned for ignoring the Mod Box warning in Post #71

Back
Top Bottom