• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US scientists find potentially habitable planet near Earth

Councilman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
sunset_moon.jpg

This is not only real Breaking News but great news for all mankind, because were are Doomed as In the words of Klaatu: I am leaving soon, and you will forgive me if I speak bluntly. ... but if you threaten to extend your violence, this Earth of yours will be reduced to a burned-out cinder

The Earth is going to be consumed eventually by our Sun as it expands as it dies.

We need a place to go and set up our civilization unless this and other planet that meet our needs are otherwise inhabited by other beings.

US scientists find potentially habitable planet near Earth - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON (AFP) – US astronomers said Wednesday they have discovered an Earth-sized planet that they think might be habitable, orbiting a nearby star, and believe there could be many more planets like it in space.

The planet, found by astronomers at the University of California, Santa Cruz, and the Carnegie Institution of Washington, is orbiting in the middle of the "habitable zone" of the red dwarf star Gliese 581, which means it could have water on its surface.
Liquid water and an atmosphere are necessary for a planet to possibly sustain life, even it it might not be a great place to live, the scientists said.
Live long and prosper

live_long_and_prosper.jpg

Last edited:
I saw this story earlier on Facebook. I really wasn't sure if we'd find intelligent life on another planet in my lifetime, but now I am convinced that it's highly likely that we will.

Now whether that's a good or a bad thing ... :shrug:

sunset_moon.jpg

This is not only real Breaking News but great news for all mankind, because were are Doomed as In the words of Klaatu: I am leaving soon, and you will forgive me if I speak bluntly. ... but if you threaten to extend your violence, this Earth of yours will be reduced to a burned-out cinder

The Earth is going to be consumed eventually by our Sun as it expands as it dies

We need a place to go and set up our civilization unless this and other planet that meet our needs are otherwise inhabited by other beings.

Live long and prosper

live_long_and_prosper.jpg

Glad to see you finally admit that global warming is real. :mrgreen:

But, seriously, this is big news. Thanx for posting.

This is really cool. Finding, and possible communicating with other intelligent beings out there would be the coolest thing I can think of. You know, as long as they don't go Independence Day on our ass.

Glad to see you finally admit that global warming is real. :mrgreen:

But, seriously, this is big news. Thanx for posting.

Well Pal I must enlighten you about my position on global warming. I do not claim that there is not any Global Warming, When I say that Global Warming is a HOAX I am referring to wild and unsubstantiated claims that it is caused as the result of human endeavors that is just pan wrong because wild climate changes have taken place from hot to cold since way before man had any chance to impact any changes.

Like now all we are hearing is that we have to curb greenhouse gases. Truth is and facts tell us that Volcano's and the simple act of breathing of the Dinosaurs produced much more CO2 and other noxious gases into the atmosphere and plant life thrived and the Dinos did not die because of them breathing.

Coronado said:
I saw this story earlier on Facebook. I really wasn't sure if we'd find intelligent life on another planet in my lifetime, but now I am convinced that it's highly likely that we will.

Now whether that's a good or a bad thing ...

I wouldn't be so sure. The only thing they can tell about this planet is its size and its distance from the star that it's orbiting. They're basing the possibility of habitability on this information. In order to even find a habitable planet, we would be required to invent either much more advanced telescopes or interstellar travel, which will probably not happen in your lifetime. And this isn't even to find intelligent life.

I wouldn't be so sure. The only thing they can tell about this planet is its size and its distance from the star that it's orbiting. They're basing the possibility of habitability on this information. In order to even find a habitable planet, we would be required to invent either much more advanced telescopes or interstellar travel, which will probably not happen in your lifetime. And this isn't even to find intelligent life.

If Theoretical Physicists are write we may one day be able to noy only make the jump to light speed but may even be able to one day fold time an space to make interstellar travel possible.

The strides in scientific advancement in my life alone have been nothing short of astounding beyond imagination.

We may not live to see the advances need for us to find a new Planet to call home but we know that if we don't mankind will surely perish as humans. It is inevitable that our Sun will either do us in or our failure to to obey the golden rule will do us in.

Well Pal I must enlighten you about my position on global warming. I do not claim that there is not any Global Warming, When I say that Global Warming is a HOAX I am referring to wild and unsubstantiated claims that it is caused as the result of human endeavors that is just pan wrong because wild climate changes have taken place from hot to cold since way before man had any chance to impact any changes.

Like now all we are hearing is that we have to curb greenhouse gases. Truth is and facts tell us that Volcano's and the simple act of breathing of the Dinosaurs produced much more CO2 and other noxious gases into the atmosphere and plant life thrived and the Dinos did not die because of them breathing.

We can talk about that in another thread. I was just tweaking your nose a little. Sorry if it derailed your thread. It's a damn good one too. Once again, thanx for posting.

Is this the "Nibru" planet that some scientists have been talking about for the past decade?

That's true, but you've got to think of the leaps in technology that we've taken just in the past 50-60 years. Interstellar travel is probably insurmountable for the foreseeable future, but I think it's within the realm of possibility to build a telescope to at least detect things like heat signatures, radio transmissions, etc., that could only be generated by intelligent life.

Mainly I'm just thinking back to the state of technology in 1923 (when my paternal grandfather was born). We didn't even know about all the planets in our system then.

We'll see. I think it's exciting either way.

Nephilim Stargates: The Year 2012 and the Return of the Watchers

2012 - A New Dawn for Earth... A New Beginning for Mankind!

The Ascended Masters have worked with mankind throughout the centuries. Most of the time in the past the Ascended Masters have worked in the background. There were some Ascended Masters who have assisted mankind such as Sanat Kumara. also known in the Bible as the "Ancient of Days", by some He is known as the "Lord of the World".
Sanat Kumara came ages ago to give assistance to the Earth when it would have been dissolved otherwise. He offered His own free will to supply the Light required to sustain the Earth and keep the Earth in the system until enough so mankind could be raised to a point where they could carry the responsibility of emitting sufficient Light.

Ascended Master Saint Germain's Cosmic Name is "Freedom". He is the Cosmic Father of the people of America. Saint Germain's work for the freedom of mankind began in that civilization seventy thousand years ago; when a whole civilization could have been raised into the Ascension had they continued to give obedience instead of becoming rebellious.

Saint Germain's most recent work with mankind came forth in the 1930's. He worked with Mr. & Mrs. Ballard to establish the focus on the "I AM" Presence. Through the Ballards, Saint Germain and other Ascended Masters gave dictation's. Some of the other Ascended Masters where, Great Divine Director, Mighty Victory, Mighty Victory and Ascended Master Jesus.

Ascended Masters - Who They Are

humans won't be around long enough to see the end of the world.

At least we can give Guantanamo Bay back to the Cubans now. :lol:

This planet is just earth sized. Venus is also earth sized. We don't know if it can house life. I doubt the world will exist by the time the sun engulfs the planet.

This planet is just earth sized. Venus is also earth sized. We don't know if it can house life. I doubt the world will exist by the time the sun engulfs the planet.

Wait a second it is an established fact that women come from Venus.:mrgreen:

Actually, it is 3-4 times the size of earth, with one side always facing its red dwarf sun and one side always away.

It's in an area called the "life zone", or the Goldilocks zone for possible life forms. It is apparently the perfect size, and the perfect distance from the sun. A comparison with Venus would be flawed. From Hurriyet:

Scientists have jumped the gun before on proclaiming that planets outside Earth's solar system were habitable only to have them turn out to be not quite so conducive to life. This one, however, is so clearly in the right zone that five outside astronomers told The Associated Press it seems to be the real thing. "This is the first one I'm truly excited about," said Penn State University's Jim Kasting. He said this planet is a "pretty prime candidate" for harboring life.

Scientists find planet that may be sure for life - Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review

I believe the article said it is within the habitable zone, a.k.a. the "Goldilocks" zone.

At least we can give Guantanamo Bay back to the Cubans now. :lol:
Give? How about trade it for a couple of container ships full of cigars?

why talk about planets that resemble ours? Every planet will eventually be consumed by its star. So the real thing we should be working on is making a spacecraft that can sustain life and for long periods of time and large amounts of people. Forget planets.

Actually, it is 3-4 times the size of earth, with one side always facing its red dwarf sun and one side always away.

So it's hot on one side, cold on the other, and it'd make the slimmest person feel fat. Sounds great.

why talk about planets that resemble ours? Every planet will eventually be consumed by its star. So the real thing we should be working on is making a spacecraft that can sustain life and for long periods of time and large amounts of people. Forget planets.

Yeah, we only have 1000000000 years left 'till the sun buggers up earth, better start packing. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom