• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US says it supports coronavirus vaccine patent waiver

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
HEALTH AND SCIENCE

U.S. backs waiving patent protections for Covid vaccines, citing global health crisis​

Washington (CNN)The Biden administration, in a major decision Wednesday, said it would support easing patent rules on Covid-19 vaccines after intense internal debate and strong pushback from American drugmakers, potentially expanding the global supply and narrowing the vaccination gap between rich and poor nations.

The move is preliminary and will not guarantee the global patent rules are lifted right away. But the Biden administration's signal of support amounts to a major step that aid groups and Democrats had been pressing for.
"The Administration believes strongly in intellectual property protections, but in service of ending this pandemic, supports the waiver of those protections for COVID-19 vaccines," US Trade Representative Katherine Tai wrote in a statement.
================================================
Joe Biden did this. A Repub president would have been ridden out of town on a rail if he had done the same thing.

HEALTH AND SCIENCE

U.S. backs waiving patent protections for Covid vaccines, citing global health crisis​

Washington (CNN)The Biden administration, in a major decision Wednesday, said it would support easing patent rules on Covid-19 vaccines after intense internal debate and strong pushback from American drugmakers, potentially expanding the global supply and narrowing the vaccination gap between rich and poor nations.

The move is preliminary and will not guarantee the global patent rules are lifted right away. But the Biden administration's signal of support amounts to a major step that aid groups and Democrats had been pressing for.
"The Administration believes strongly in intellectual property protections, but in service of ending this pandemic, supports the waiver of those protections for COVID-19 vaccines," US Trade Representative Katherine Tai wrote in a statement.
Joe Biden did this. A Repub president would have been ridden out of town on a rail if he had done the same thing.

I predict that this is largely symbolic. If other countries had the wherewithal to manufacture any of the vaccines currently being used, they would have started that in motion by now, waiver or no waiver. I doubt that they can.

I predict that this is largely symbolic.

Of course saving lives is "symbolic" to you. What's a few more million dead people, amirite? :rolleyes:

Of course saving lives is "symbolic" to you. What's a few more million dead people, amirite? :rolleyes:

Congrats on missing the point and turning it into a juvenile personal attack.

Giving someone permission to do something they are incapable of doing is not going to save any lives.

This ignorant comment:

Is undermined by this ignorant comment:

Giving someone permission to do something they are incapable of doing is not going to save any lives.

The rest of you can easily see why. :)

This ignorant comment:

Is undermined by this ignorant comment:

The rest of you can easily see why. :)

The only thing being undermined here is the ability to have an adult conversation, and it's being undermined by your nonsensical blathering.

The only thing being undermined here is the ability to have an adult conversation, and it's being undermined by your nonsensical blathering.

Says the person who has no problem with 500,000 dead Americans. Try not to shatter any more windows in your glass house, OK?

Says the person who has no problem with 500,000 dead Americans. Try not to shatter any more windows in your glass house, OK?

Oh here we go, rolling out the lies. You're getting quicker. Usually it takes you a few more turns to start with that. Maybe next time, save yourself the effort and just start blatantly lying from your first comment.

Oh here we go, rolling out the lies. You're getting quicker. Usually it takes you a few more turns to start with that. Maybe next time, save yourself the effort and just start blatantly lying from your first comment.

You were the one who claimed that exporting the vaccines is "symbolic." Not me. You.

I know that owning your words is difficult, but could you give it a go for once?

You were the one who claimed that exporting the vaccines is "symbolic." Not me. You.

I know that owning your words is difficult, but could you give it a go for once?

Says the one who lied about my first comment by omitting more than half of it (and pretty much all the actual substance) from your quotation, and then lied again in your previous post, and then once again just now.

Awesome. A hat trick! Try to make your next lie a little less transparent, though. You of all people should try to be a little better at this than Trump if you're going to do it constantly.

HEALTH AND SCIENCE

Medicine should not be patentable.

Medicine should not be patentable.
The period of patent protection gives them time to recover their R&D investment along with a profit. Hundreds or thousands of new molecules are made & tested before one makes it to your drug store. But I think new drugs are overpriced, especially the biologics like the monoclonal antibodies against COVID-19. They obviously have you in a vulnerable state when you have to choose between giving the drug companies a big chunk of your money or dying with a tube down your throat. Drowning in your own mucus.

Last edited:
It’s likely that this really doesnt mean too much. Maybe for the J&J vaccine, which is established tech, but the mRNA vaccines - no.

Just being able to make this doesnt mean one CAN. To do this, you need expertise thats far beyond the patent, in multiple areas, especially that of developing the lipid wrap for the vaccine and getting the mRNA inside it and stable. Not only do you have to figure out how to do it, but you have to build a place to make it,which takes lots of time. Then you have to staff that place with experienced personnel. Then, if in a year, you miraculously get a product, you then need to prove it is equivalent to what’s on the market already, and with a brand new process to make it, thats anything but assured.

Meanwhile, Pfizer and Moderna will crank out billions of doses, and by next year, will probably have produced about 6 billion doses already, add in the other vaccines, and we probably have enough for the entire earth population by the time somebody gets a ‘generic’ vaccine approved.

The problem is that if the patent is not waived there may come a day when deadlier strains go global and reach our shores. This is a global pandemic.

It’s likely that this really doesnt mean too much. Maybe for the J&J vaccine, which is established tech, but the mRNA vaccines - no.

Just being able to make this doesnt mean one CAN. To do this, you need expertise thats far beyond the patent, in multiple areas, especially that of developing the lipid wrap for the vaccine and getting the mRNA inside it and stable. Not only do you have to figure out how to do it, but you have to build a place to make it,which takes lots of time. Then you have to staff that place with experienced personnel. Then, if in a year, you miraculously get a product, you then need to prove it is equivalent to what’s on the market already, and with a brand new process to make it, thats anything but assured.

Meanwhile, Pfizer and Moderna will crank out billions of doses, and by next year, will probably have produced about 6 billion doses already, add in the other vaccines, and we probably have enough for the entire earth population by the time somebody gets a ‘generic’ vaccine approved.

I agree with you. Large scale pharma manufacturing facilities have to be designed, built, then people have to be trained to make it from the start on a huge scale. Who's going to train all the people needed in Mumbai, Jakarta, etc? I don't see this initiative going anywhere except to make some people rich on the government.

We should not only be giving permission to make these vaccines but also sharing the “how to” as well.
Its a worldwide problem and unless we get the number of cases down worldwide an escape variant is likely to occur.

We should not only be giving permission to make these vaccines but also sharing the “how to” as well.
Its a worldwide problem and unless we get the number of cases down worldwide an escape variant is likely to occur.

If that happens we might have to kiss our donkeys goodbye.

How do you propose we do that? Should we force the people who know "how to" at gun point to tell others their secrets?

Or China will release a new pandemic on the world. I guess we should get them up to speed before the next pandemic starts.

How do you propose we do that? Should we force the people who know "how to" at gun point to tell others their secrets?

I know its a pipe dream. Moderna was financed with tax dollars. That should give us some leverage. Maybe Pfizer would be willing to surrender the rights to the vaccine for the right deal.
In a perfect world it would work like this. Imagine the good will game points we would win this way.
Right now we are losing the good will battle to China who is distributing their vaccines to poorer countries in return for good will.

I know its a pipe dream. Moderna was financed with tax dollars. That should give us some leverage. Maybe Pfizer would be willing to surrender the rights to the vaccine for the right deal.
In a perfect world it would work like this. Imagine the good will game points we would win this way.
Right now we are losing the good will battle to China who is distributing their vaccines to poorer countries in return for good will.
China unleashed this pandemic on the world. Good will? China needs to hope the world doesn't find out the truth.

It's not a pipe dream. Pfizer, Moderna, Astra Zeneca, and J&J can make the vaccines. What's wrong with asking countries that didn't invest anything in developing them to pay for them, or for someone else to pay on their behalf?

Nonsense. If companies can't get patents, they won't invest billions to develop medicines.

In the case of these vaccines... the companies invested relatively little, as most funding came from governments..

I predict that this is largely symbolic. If other countries had the wherewithal to manufacture any of the vaccines currently being used, they would have started that in motion by now, waiver or no waiver. I doubt that they can.
Of course they can; India, for one, is the spiritual home of generic drugs and they are well set up for manufacturing vaccines.

Back
Top Bottom