• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US prosecutors subpoena Trump golf courses in Scotland, which some Democrats worry might have been f

HenryChinaski

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
https://amp.businessinsider.com/us-...jt-holdings-trump-scotland-golf-course-2019-2
US prosecutors last year ordered the company that owns President Donald Trump's golf courses in Scotland to show its financial filings in an attempt to reveal its ownership, The Times of London reported on Monday.

Prosecutors in Maryland in December subpoenaed documents related to properties controlled by DJT Holdings LLC, a company that owns Trump's hotel in Washington, DC, and resorts in places like Turnberry, Scotland, according to Trump's financial disclosure form. You can read the full filing at the bottom of this article.

The documents are part of an investigation into whether Trump still profits from his businesses. It focuses on Trump International Washington, an old post office building in the US capital that Trump converted into a luxury hotel in 2016.

Trump has attempted to have this case dismissed multiple times.
Brian Frosh, the Maryland attorney general, said he was "seeking information proving that hotel revenues were flowing to the president through his affiliated entities," according to The Times.

Frosh added: "We are confident that at the end of discovery we will be able to prove our case that President Trump is violating the Constitution's emoluments clauses, America's first anti-corruption laws."
Fake news, deep state or something..

Just when you think the witch hunt can't get any more rediculous.

Russians invest in golf course in Scotland. How is that illegal, under USC? :lamo

I suppose it may be an issue because the US Constitution's emoluments clause prohibits public officials from receiving gifts or cash from foreign or state governments without congressional approval.

You mean like the Clinton Foundation?

Russians invest in golf course in Scotland. How is that illegal, under USC? :lamo

Quite apart from the possibility of money laundering, there's the emoluments clause if he's striking such deals since his presidency, the possibility of being indebted to the Russians causing split loyalties or the possibility of favours changing hands or even some form of kompromat.

Of course if they investigate and find it's nothing more than good-old fashioned investment, there's nothing to worry about.

You mean like the Clinton Foundation?

No, we are talking about businesses owned by the present president and not a charitable foundation run by a past president. The one charitable foundation connected to tRump was shut down owing to multiple failures to comply with state and federal regulations.

for the edification of those who haven't bothered to find out what "emoluments clause" means

Article I, Section 9, Clause 8
No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

Last edited:
No, we are talking about businesses owned by the present president and not a charitable foundation run by a past president. The one charitable foundation connected to tRump was shut down owing to multiple failures to comply with state and federal regulations.

The Clinton Foundation was owned by a serving secretary of state.

Quite apart from the possibility of money laundering, there's the emoluments clause if he's striking such deals since his presidency, the possibility of being indebted to the Russians causing split loyalties or the possibility of favours changing hands or even some form of kompromat.

Of course if they investigate and find it's nothing more than good-old fashioned investment, there's nothing to worry about.

With zero probable cause for an investigation.

With zero probable cause for an investigation.

They seem to think the Trump campaign's ties to Russian agents give them plenty of probable cause. If there is none then the courts in neither country will cooperate and the investigation won't proceed.

Brian Frosh is a card caring member of the resist group. The Maryland attorney general's office is being misused to try to damage president Trump!
This will go no where!!

for the edification of those who haven't bothered to find out what "emoluments clause" means

Article I, Section 9, Clause 8
No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

Funny when people play attorney here at DP. Yes please tell us all about the "emoluments clause". You do under stand that there are attorneys who say that the emoluments clause is not being violated by the president?

It's called money laundering and it works this way. Let's say I have a resort, like a golf club. The fee for new members is $1000 a year. But the Russians are paying for memberships at $10,000 a year. So, $1,000 actually goes for the golf club membership and the rest goes into 'someones' pockets.

Funny when people play attorney here at DP. Yes please tell us all about the "emoluments clause". You do under stand that there are attorneys who say that the emoluments clause is not being violated by the president?

Maybe you don't understand but there's a team of lawyers out to prove that Trump is profiting off his presidency, which is illegal.

There are attorneys paid to say whatever their client demands and others who are paid to say whatever their employer demands. We will see - hopefully.

Nope, YOU wrote that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was the "owner" of the foundation - YOU prove it.

You said I'm wrong. Support your claim.

You said I'm wrong. Support your claim.

You made a positive statement about a person you despise. This bias places a greater burden upon you to prove that statement is true. Without proof on your part, it is a semi-libellous claim which you are unable to support and instead are asking an opponent to prove your words are false - Nope, ain't gonna do it. I checked the Clinton Foundation website for confirmation of my statement.

I suppose it may be an issue because the US Constitution's emoluments clause prohibits public officials from receiving gifts or cash from foreign or state governments without congressional approval.

Does Hillary know this?

You made a positive statement about a person you despise. This bias places a greater burden upon you to prove that statement is true. Without proof on your part, it is a semi-libellous claim which you are unable to support and instead are asking an opponent to prove your words are false - Nope, ain't gonna do it. I checked the Clinton Foundation website for confirmation of my statement.

He made a statement. You say the statement is wrong.
Therefore...
The onus is on you to prove his statement wrong.
Your superlatives, and appeal to emotion don't prove anything.

Back
Top Bottom