• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US Power Grid Operators Warn Renewable Energy Could Cause Blackouts

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian

Here's some relevant quotes from the article:

California’s grid operator said Friday that it anticipates a shortfall in supplies this summer, especially if extreme heat, wildfires or delays in bringing new power sources online exacerbate the constraints. The Midcontinent Independent System Operator, or MISO, which oversees a large regional grid spanning much of the Midwest, said late last month that capacity shortages may force it to take emergency measures to meet summer demand and flagged the risk of outages. In Texas, where a number of power plants lately went offline for maintenance, the grid operator warned of tight conditions during a heat wave expected to last into the next week.

The challenge is that wind and solar farms—which are among the cheapest forms of power generation—don’t produce electricity at all times and need large batteries to store their output for later use. While a large amount of battery storage is under development, regional grid operators have lately warned that the pace may not be fast enough to offset the closures of traditional power plants that can work around the clock.

Yup. More renewable energy replacing fossil fuel power outputs = more blackouts. Welcome to the climate cult utopia.

Yup. More renewable energy replacing fossil fuel power outputs = more blackouts. Welcome to the climate cult utopia.
This isn't new news, but the agenda driven people need to be reminded.

Reactions: PoS
It wasn't a mistake. They purposely went it alone.
And you don't consider the way they did so in a short sighted fashion wasn't a mistake?

My God man. Wind power in areas that freeze with no deicing built in?

Drought slows power production from hydroelectric dams. Heat waves. Wildfires. Sounds like climate change is causing the problems, but let's blame renewable energy and make climate change worse. Brilliant!
We need to blame the people who didn't consider weather patterns changes exist over time.

Reactions: PoS
And you don't consider the way they did so in a short sighted fashion wasn't a mistake?

My God man. Wind power in areas that freeze with no deicing built in?
They went it alone because they were convinced that was the best way to do it (state independence). And they're still convinced.

Last edited:

Less electricity as more people plug in cars. Yeah that'll work.

From California to Texas to Indiana, electric-grid operators are warning that power-generating capacity is struggling to keep up with demand, a gap that could lead to rolling blackouts during heat waves or other peak periods as soon as this year.

Environmentalists like the idea of rolling blackouts. They believe humans need to suffer for the damage they have caused to the earth. Blackouts are feature of environmentalism, not a bug.

Environmentalists like the idea of rolling blackouts. They believe humans need to suffer for the damage they have caused to the earth. Blackouts are feature of environmentalism, not a bug.
Blackout are features of poor planning, shoddy maintenance, natural disasters, and now, climate change. But let's blame environmentalism and make things worse. Brilliant.

Oh my God, you mean it's possible to design an imperfect power grid!? Well, if we aren't guaranteed to design the system perfectly the first time around, we should probably throw out the whole project of renewables and use the dirtiest coal possible. Everyone knows there's never been a blackout from a fossil fuel source.

#MAGAderp

Fix any design issues. Lean on nuclear some more if you must. Duh. Though I don't need to say that. Nobody who counts is going to be trolled into abandoning renewables by this denier swill.

What has this got to do with renewable energy sources? The people who generate electricity and sell it are saying they might not be able to keep up if theres a heat wave and they blame other people generating electricity. Sounds like bullshit to me. Bullshit and incompetence.

LOL Climate Cult Karen meltdown in progress!

bla-bla-bla-gif-8.gif

What has this got to do with renewable energy sources? The people who generate electricity and sell it are saying they might not be able to keep up if theres a heat wave and they blame other people generating electricity. Sounds like bullshit to me. Bullshit and incompetence.
LOL read the quotes in the OP and maybe youll learn something new for once.

I suspect it has to do with how they balance their reserve capacity.
Whatever capacity that comes from wind and solar, needs a reserve power plant
waiting at the ready to pick up the slack if an overcast day happens, or the winds are too light.
This means there are less reserves (peaking plants) for when actual peaks hit.
This combined with the shutdown of large baseload coal and nuclear plants, could bring about
conditions where the demand cannot be met.

LOL Climate Cult Karen meltdown in progress!

View attachment 67390502

LOL read the quotes in the OP and maybe youll learn something new for once.
I asked you a question about your OP. Tell me why renewable energy sources might cause brownouts.
Theres over 40 companies producing and selling power in California. Explain how they are prevented from supplying the demand by renewable energy sources.

I suspect it has to do with how they balance their reserve capacity.
Whatever capacity that comes from wind and solar, needs a reserve power plant
waiting at the ready to pick up the slack if an overcast day happens, or the winds are too light.
This means there are less reserves (peaking plants) for when actual peaks hit.
This combined with the shutdown of large baseload coal and nuclear plants, could bring about
conditions where the demand cannot be met.
Well, hang tight. Here in BC we sell surplus electricity to California and we're working on increasing our production and export availability.

" The primary reasons for these plant shutdowns included relatively flat electricity demand growth and increased competition from natural gas and renewable energy sources."

(See 1st para):

What's really causing the "problem" is private enterprise shutting down fossil fuel plants due to the free market, competition. That's how things work in a capitalist system.

To resolve the problem: "...stimulate the deployment of batteries and other new technologies while avoiding the premature closure of older power plants."

(See 1st paragraph):

Advancing technology while keeping some traditional power plants open is whatever private enterprise decides.

The OP is just another among the ACC/science denier-cult.

Why are renewables such a threat to some folks that they trawl every news source just seeking out any "bad news" about the development of renewables? I'm genuinely curious.

Oh my God, you mean it's possible to design an imperfect power grid!? Well, if we aren't guaranteed to design the system perfectly the first time around, we should probably throw out the whole project of renewables and use the dirtiest coal possible. Everyone knows there's never been a blackout from a fossil fuel source.

The worst part is that before renewables California NEVER HAD BLACKOUTS! Not once! And certainly NEVER because energy companies made mistakes or were just trying to soak the subscribers.

Renewables will be absolutely horrible because they are not perfect 100% of the time.

Why are renewables such a threat to some folks that they trawl every news source just seeking out any "bad news" about the development of renewables? I'm genuinely curious.

Tribalism.

He sees it as a team sport. He's aligned with the right. Anything he thinks is bad news for something associated with the left, like trying not to completely **** the planet up, is something for him to cheer moronically about.

They are not a threat, but we do need a better understanding of how to implement such poor duty cycle
sources into the grid. There is also the problem of pricing surplus electricity from home generators.
One to one net metering is an untenable position, and must eventually be fixed.

They are not a threat, but we do need a better understanding of how to implement such poor duty cycle

So the best way to do that is for people to set alerts for news searches showing only the worst aspects of renewables and then mocking the people who want to push renewables?

sources into the grid. There is also the problem of pricing surplus electricity from home generators.
One to one net metering is an untenable position, and must eventually be fixed.

Is there really so much excess free energy that the power companies have access to that they can effectively throw away the power net metering solar users generate? THen why do they charge people for it if it is so freely available that they don't need any more at or below market cost to them?

Why is it OK for petroleum companies to get subsidies and tax breaks and incentives but it's untenable for the average American to get a break for producing energy?

I don't get the thinking.

So the best way to do that is for people to set alerts for news searches showing only the worst aspects of renewables and then mocking the people who want to push renewables?

Is there really so much excess free energy that the power companies have access to that they can effectively throw away the power net metering solar users generate? THen why do they charge people for it if it is so freely available that they don't need any more at or below market cost to them?

Why is it OK for petroleum companies to get subsidies and tax breaks and incentives but it's untenable for the average American to get a break for producing energy?

I don't get the thinking.
The news has nothing to do with the problem!

It is untenable to require a retailer to purchase what they sell, at the price they sell it for!
Wrapped up in the difference between the wholesale price and the retail price is all of the gross profit
the retailer uses to provide the service. In the case of the electrical utility, it is the price to provide
a reliable electrical grid.

Back
Top Bottom