• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US Post Office.....what is really going on?

rabbitcaebannog

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
What do you think?

Shock Doctrine at U.S. Postal Service: Is a Manufactured Crisis Behind Push Toward Privatization?

Today, postal workers and their supporters are holding events across the country to press their demand for repealing the benefit-funding mandate and push back against calls for their workplace to be privatized.

For months, Americans have heard dire warnings about the impending collapse of the United States Postal Service due to fiscal insolvency and a drop in the use of mail service. In early September, the U.S. Postmaster General told Congress that the USPS is close to default and unveiled a series of radical proposals to cut costs by firing up to 120,000 workers, closing several thousand facilities, scaling back deliveries, and reducing benefits for retirees.

But many postal workers say the much-touted crisis facing the U.S. Postal Service is not what it seems. They argue the greatest volume of mail handled in the 236-year history of the postal service was 2006. They also point to a 2006 law that forced the USPS to become the only agency required to fund 75 years of retiree health benefits over just a 10-year span, and say the law's requirements account for 100 percent of the service's $20 billion in losses over the previous four years, without which the service would have turned a profit. For the whole transcript: Democracy Now!: Shock Doctrine at U.S. Postal Service: Is a Manufactured Crisis Behind Push Toward Privatization?

Why should I have to pay for postal service when all I get is nothing but junk mail? I have go out there to the ****ing mailbox everyday just to clear it out of crap that will end up in the trash. The only thing they offer me is wasted time and money.

What do you think?

Shock Doctrine at U.S. Postal Service: Is a Manufactured Crisis Behind Push Toward Privatization?

Today, postal workers and their supporters are holding events across the country to press their demand for repealing the benefit-funding mandate and push back against calls for their workplace to be privatized.

For months, Americans have heard dire warnings about the impending collapse of the United States Postal Service due to fiscal insolvency and a drop in the use of mail service. In early September, the U.S. Postmaster General told Congress that the USPS is close to default and unveiled a series of radical proposals to cut costs by firing up to 120,000 workers, closing several thousand facilities, scaling back deliveries, and reducing benefits for retirees.

But many postal workers say the much-touted crisis facing the U.S. Postal Service is not what it seems. They argue the greatest volume of mail handled in the 236-year history of the postal service was 2006. They also point to a 2006 law that forced the USPS to become the only agency required to fund 75 years of retiree health benefits over just a 10-year span, and say the law's requirements account for 100 percent of the service's $20 billion in losses over the previous four years, without which the service would have turned a profit. For the whole transcript: Democracy Now!: Shock Doctrine at U.S. Postal Service: Is a Manufactured Crisis Behind Push Toward Privatization?

also its a coordinated attack to kill one of the nation's largest unions.

So what? The postal service has outlived it's purpose.

Why should I have to pay for postal service when all I get is nothing but junk mail? I have go out there to the ****ing mailbox everyday just to clear it out of crap that will end up in the trash. The only thing they offer me is wasted time and money.
LOL...

That junk mail provides the majority of their revenue. All you pay is postage when you send something.

LOL...

That junk mail provides the majority of their revenue. All you pay is postage when you send something.

oh yeah..

Ok, then their system is built on wasting my time. Whatever, I still hate junk mail.

The "job creators" are hard at work....killing jobs.

FYI, I have some friends who works for them. That doesn't seem to be the case. It's a pretty weak union, and doesn't do much. There is a no strike policy, and people are not overly paid. The benefits aren't even as good as many corporations with no unions. The postal service supports itself just fine except for the billions annually congress decided to extort from them. The postal service doesn't cost tax payers anything.

What do you think?

If ever an organization's business model was a piece of crap, it's the USPS. It's going to go the way of the dinosaur, just not fast enough. With electronic delivery, we don't even NEED first class mail. The only thing they're going to be delivering shortly is junk -- which no one wants anyway.

Just imagine a system where a guy walks his route on the sidewalk, lugging crap in a pouch -- walking up and down the steps at every house placing mail in a mail box fastened to the wall of each house's porch. Then walking back to his truck or a deposit box to pick up another pouchful. How absolutely ridiculous.

oh yeah..

Ok, then their system is built on wasting my time. Whatever, I still hate junk mail.

I hate it too, but it's an easy process.

Put strait into recycle anything that is presort standard. Just keep the first class.

MaggieD said:
If ever an organization's business model was a piece of crap, it's the USPS. It's going to go the way of the dinosaur, just not fast enough.
It's actually a pretty efficient organization for what they do. Ever work for a large corporation? You can find inefficiency everywhere.

MaggieD said:
With electronic delivery, we don't even NEED first class mail. The only thing they're going to be delivering shortly is junk -- which no one wants anyway.
Actual printed magazines, prescription drugs to elderly, certified mail, etc... These going to digital?

MaggieD said:
Just imagine a system where a guy walks his route on the sidewalk, lugging crap in a pouch -- walking up and down the steps at every house placing mail in a mail box fastened to the wall of each house's porch. Then walking back to his truck or a deposit box to pick up another pouchful. How absolutely ridiculous.
Years back, I did just that as a Christmas Temporary between jobs. Most routes are drive to local boxes now. Besides, "post office and post roads" are mandated by constitution. Few things are mandated.

It's actually a fun job. Meeting so many people as you work.

You only pay if you buy stamps.

If ever an organization's business model was a piece of crap, it's the USPS. It's going to go the way of the dinosaur, just not fast enough. With electronic delivery, we don't even NEED first class mail. The only thing they're going to be delivering shortly is junk -- which no one wants anyway.

Maggie, are you are saying eliminate the service?

People and/or business don't need the postal services anymore?

I don't. :shrug:

Unless of course there is a need for all this junk mail, but I can't think of what that could be.

Maggie, are you are saying eliminate the service?

Ummmm, no, not really. At least not yet. But it should certainly be run more efficiently. Everyone's mailbox (at the very least) should be out at the street. That's how my neighborhood does it. Mail carrier rides in a right-hand-steered small truck and stops at every box. Imagine the labor that would save. Good grief.

Every town doesn't need a post office. Here in metro Chicago, every single town and village has its own post office. Completely unnecessary. They could do away with half of them and within five years? Nobody would even notice.

And, frankly? I should be able to opt out of junk mail. What right does the post office have to force me to receive garbage from strangers?

MaggieD said:
Ummmm, no, not really. At least not yet. But it should certainly be run more efficiently. Everyone's mailbox (at the very least) should be out at the street. That's how my neighborhood does it. Mail carrier rides in a right-hand-steered small truck and stops at every box. Imagine the labor that would save. Good grief.
The ones you speak of are effectively grandfathered. I believe all new developments do have single point boxes. As for each house having a box on the street, that creates other problems. Like taking away parking so the mail vehicle can get to the box. It does save a minimal amount of labor, but not much. The carrier still has to sift through the mail and insure it's correct for the address. Machine sorting is far from perfect. The carrier on foot has this done between houses, the carrier in the vehicle has to do this when he stops. The end result time isn't much different, and driving uses more fuel and vehicle labor costs.

MaggieD said:
Every town doesn't need a post office. Here in metro Chicago, every single town and village has its own post office. Completely unnecessary. They could do away with half of them and within five years? Nobody would even notice.
Where I live, these have been eliminated over the years. When I moved here in the 90's, I had one about 2 miles away. Later, they consolidated it with one about 3 miles from me. Now, I have to go all the way to Parkrose, about 6 miles, to pick up a package if I'm not home when they try to deliver it.

MaggieD said:
And, frankly? I should be able to opt out of junk mail. What right does the post office have to force me to receive garbage from strangers?
I wish we all could opt out. I most certainly would.

That is your opinion but many people do depend on the postal service, especially elderly people who may not be able to get around as easily.

That is your opinion but many people do depend on the postal service, especially elderly people who may not be able to get around as easily.

Elderly people die. Times change. (Just being realistic, Rabbit.)

I can leave my outgoing mail right in my post box. There's no need to go to the post office. If the elderly can't figure that out, I don't know what to say. They can buy postage at the grocery store. Have a package picked up at their door...

Elderly people die. Times change. (Just being realistic, Rabbit.)

I can leave my outgoing mail right in my post box. There's no need to go to the post office. If the elderly can't figure that out, I don't know what to say. They can buy postage at the grocery store. Have a package picked up at their door...

Some of these people depend on getting medicine packages through the mail.

Some of these people depend on getting medicine packages through the mail.

Yes, I know. An elderly friend gets his medicine this way. If that's our only reason to keep the USPS, I'm not sure it holds water....

I don't. :shrug:

Unless of course there is a need for all this junk mail, but I can't think of what that could be.

That's great you don't need it but others do. Since it doesn't cost you, assuming you don't buy stamps, what's the exact problem?

oh yeah..

You have never recieved anything through the mail from a purchase on EBay?

Back
Top Bottom