• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US Police arrest Florida pastor

Sheriff's officials said they would hold a news conference later Wednesday to discuss specific charges.

So they arrested him and are now making up charges after the fact? And you're glad that someone was arrested for literally no reason? Sounds like Jones can sue the crap out of the city for this.

I'm glad that an idiot wasn't allowed to burn thousands of religious texts and by doing so endanger nato soldiers in Afghan. Yes I'm very glad

I'm glad that an idiot wasn't allowed to burn thousands of religious texts and by doing so endanger nato soldiers in Afghan. Yes I'm very glad

What was he doing that was against the law?

How easily Obama gave Islam control over America. Absolutely disgusting cowardice by our leaders.

How easily Obama gave Islam control over America. Absolutely disgusting cowardice by our leaders.

Obama is arming Al-Qaeda and McCain is making secret trips to Syria to give Al-Qaeda government secrets.

anyone know the legal basis for arrest of this provocateur?

What was he doing that was against the law?

Aside from driving down the highway towing a bbq full of Qurans doused in kerosene without a permit......apparently he was attempting to incite violence and retaliation against US and NATO troops in Afganistan.

From the OP...
"...Jones is the pastor of a small evangelical Christian church. He first gained attention in 2010 when he planned to burn a Quran on 9/11, although he eventually called it off. His congregation did burn the Muslim holy book in March 2011, and last year he promoted an anti-Muslim film. All three incidents sparked violence in the Middle East and Afghanistan.

The most violent protest happened after the 2011 Quran burning as hundreds of protesters stormed a U.N. compound in Mazar-i-Sharif in northern Afghanistan, killing seven foreigners, including four Nepalese guards.

Jones repeatedly has ignored pleas from the U.S. military asking him not to stage his protests. Military officials say his actions put American and Western troops in Afghanistan and elsewhere in danger...."

It's always interesting to watch First Amendment rights come into conflict with current government memoranda.

Yeah he was towing a BBQ down the highway, but don't kid yourselves if you think that's what all the hubbub is about. I personally think this pastor is scum and doesn't deserve to have any title that would associate him with spirituality and faith, but that doesn't mean I approve of the government taking away his First Amendment right.

"Inciting violence" is BS. That's what the government says about ANY protest they want to shut down now. They claim some hypothetical person will be offended and start attacking someone else (i.e. terrorism) if the activists aren't stopped. Since when are rights granted or taken away based on hypotheticals?

The Constitution doesn't mean anything anymore.

Aside from driving down the highway towing a bbq full of Qurans doused in kerosene without a permit......apparently he was attempting to incite violence and retaliation against US and NATO troops in Afganistan.

From the OP...

Terry Jones was deported from Germany for abusing his congregation.

He had no permit to build a bonfire in a public park.
Was a permit necessary? Is that what the police say?

From what I understand the police arrested him for no disclosed reason and that they would be announcing that reason at a later time. Sounds like they arrested him and will be making up a reason later.

Was a permit necessary? Is that what the police say?

From what I understand the police arrested him for no disclosed reason and that they would be announcing that reason at a later time. Sounds like they arrested him and will be making up a reason later.

They will bring charges. You can't build a bonfire in a public park.. In most towns and cities you can't even burn leaves. Terry Jones is crazy.. that's why he was deported from Germany. He abused his congregation.

Oh yea, but when the wing nuts get done with it it will be Obama's minions that arrested the good Pastor Jones cause of that political correctness stuff. Let the spin begin.

I am sorry it makes muslims sad, but we have something called freedom of speech in america and it should not be run into the ground by foreigners. There better be some sort of legitimate charge on this. I could see a danger in toting around that much paper soaked in kerosene and deciding to light it on fore without some sort of fire prevention presence, and perhaps a fine for it. I can understand that his potential plan might have been conducted outside of the realm of safety. But if the only reason that he was arrested was because he was burning them and there was no safety or legitimate law broken the muslims in afganistan can kiss my american ass and he should be set free. The laws protecting freedom of speech are not there to protect speech that muslims approve of, it is there to protect speech that is unpleasant and hated. He should have every right to burn korans as he sees fit here in america. You have every right to think him a horrible person and an ass, but there is no reason to stop him.

Those soldiers that died did so to protect free speech and america according to the so called propaganda. They are at war which means people are going to try and succede on occasion in killing them. If that is distasteful then perhaps they should be called home to protect US borders and should not be half way around the world playing games with locals who want them dead for being on afganistan land. I don't like the asshole and I find him a dirty old bastard with nothing but hate in his heart. Still when we start arresting him for this sort of protest then we can start arresting gays because they drive others to violence by being who they are. We can arrest the blacks for driving white people to violent acts. While we are at it let us toss that zimmerman creep in jail because his release set off a number of violent acts across the US and killed some people. Those are stupid ideas and anyone who supports them deserves no freedom and should ask the permission of everyone on earth who might be pissed if they are allowed to speak.

Time to go down to the dollar store and pick me up some korans and some lighter fluid because I am going to have myself a bonfire. I think I will do the right thing and draw a picture of muhammed on all of them just to show what free speech means to all those who cant take it. This is about our most important right and it is high time we start showing our authorities and the world that it will not be taken away by fascist religious assholes because they cannot take criticism and protest. This is enforcing the moral values of a religion and it is as wrong to do it for whiny ass muslims as it is to do it for whiny ass christians.

Pastor arrested before he could burn Qurans

Glad they could stop this dickhead before he cost more life's.

1) Burning a book, regardless of how offensive some may perceive it, dies not "cost anyone their lives". Surely people may react to violence to such, but that is their own choice, and they are responding with violence to an action that harms no one.

2) I hope he fights this barring any legitimate permitting concern (I imagine three thousand gas soaked Korans is a pretty large fire), or similar that he sues

I am sorry it makes muslims sad, but we have something called freedom of speech in america and it should not be run into the ground by foreigners. There better be some sort of legitimate charge on this. I could see a danger in toting around that much paper soaked in kerosene and deciding to light it on fore without some sort of fire prevention presence, and perhaps a fine for it. I can understand that his potential plan might have been conducted outside of the realm of safety. But if the only reason that he was arrested was because he was burning them and there was no safety or legitimate law broken the muslims in afganistan can kiss my american ass and he should be set free. The laws protecting freedom of speech are not there to protect speech that muslims approve of, it is there to protect speech that is unpleasant and hated. He should have every right to burn korans as he sees fit here in america. You have every right to think him a horrible person and an ass, but there is no reason to stop him.

Those soldiers that died did so to protect free speech and america according to the so called propaganda. They are at war which means people are going to try and succede on occasion in killing them. If that is distasteful then perhaps they should be called home to protect US borders and should not be half way around the world playing games with locals who want them dead for being on afganistan land. I don't like the asshole and I find him a dirty old bastard with nothing but hate in his heart. Still when we start arresting him for this sort of protest then we can start arresting gays because they drive others to violence by being who they are. We can arrest the blacks for driving white people to violent acts. While we are at it let us toss that zimmerman creep in jail because his release set off a number of violent acts across the US and killed some people. Those are stupid ideas and anyone who supports them deserves no freedom and should ask the permission of everyone on earth who might be pissed if they are allowed to speak.

Time to go down to the dollar store and pick me up some korans and some lighter fluid because I am going to have myself a bonfire. I think I will do the right thing and draw a picture of muhammed on all of them just to show what free speech means to all those who cant take it. This is about our most important right and it is high time we start showing our authorities and the world that it will not be taken away by fascist religious assholes because they cannot take criticism and protest. This is enforcing the moral values of a religion and it is as wrong to do it for whiny ass muslims as it is to do it for whiny ass christians.

Have you read any of this thread?

The police routinely detain suspects with the formal charges coming later, so no conspiracy there.

I see the freedoms associated with religion like most others, yours ends at my nose. Praise GAWD all you want, but attacking another religion is over the line. Would we sit by and claim 1st amendment rights to burn a BBQ full of Torahs coz them Jews kilt Jesus?

Terry Jones is crazy.. that's why he was deported from Germany. He abused his congregation.

Which is rather irrelevant to the discussion or the arrest ...

He faces two charges: unlawful conveyance of fuel, and unlawful open carry of a firearm, according to the Polk County Sheriff's Office.

Read more: Terry Jones arrested en route to Koran-burning - FOX 35 News Orlando

Well, he should have made sure to do it legally. I have to admit towing around that many kerosene soaked books was probably in violation of local laws. Still, I have to admit it is perfectly legal to burn some of the things, and I think given that muslims feel they can silence US free speech it is time to join in this fun. I know bibles burn real well, and now I will find out how well korans burn. There is nothing wrong with doing a bit of burning on your own property around here. There will not be any legitimate reason to arrest me when I do it, and i will be sure to post the video on youtube for the muslims to enjoy. It is called free speech. Love it or move to afganistan where you can live under muslim rules if that is your preference.

The police routinely detain suspects with the formal charges coming later, so no conspiracy there.

I see the freedoms associated with religion like most others, yours ends at my nose. Praise GAWD all you want, but attacking another religion is over the line.

No, criticism of a religion is well established to be within first amendment doctrine.

Would we sit by and claim 1st amendment rights to burn a BBQ full of Torahs coz them Jews kilt Jesus?

Yes, because people are able to criticize ideas and ideologies here, and even do and say things that you disagree with.

No, criticism of a religion is well established to be within first amendment doctrine.

Yes, because people are able to criticize ideas and ideologies here, and even do and say things that you disagree with.

He was headed for a public park and openly carrying a gun..

I see the freedoms associated with religion like most others, yours ends at my nose. Praise GAWD all you want, but attacking another religion is over the line. Would we sit by and claim 1st amendment rights to burn a BBQ full of Torahs coz them Jews kilt Jesus?

Free speech protects that which is deemed offensive, and no we do not make laws based on religious sanctity. He has every right to burn them within the laws regarding burning in his area. It doesn't matter how many muslims he pisses off with it. Yes, that also means if someone wanted they could burn torahs and bibles as long as they follow safety regulations of their towns in regards to burning things.

Back
Top Bottom