• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US Navy shoots down drone with electric-powered laser

ouch

Air Muscle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I don't care what anybody says, this is cool beans!(y) It's like watching a space flick looking at the picture below.

1650660564793.png

Laser weapons have several advantages, according to the Navy, including that they can disable sensors and assess the damage they could inflict on targets. Due to the laser being entirely electric, they also pose a lower threat than other military weapons or bombs.

They also require no explosives or propellants, which makes them safer, according to TechSpot.

‘Ultimately, those types of lasers did not transition to the fleet or any other service,’ he added.

I'm always curious as to whether you can actually see the laser in person, or if the beam we see in those pictures is just added for illustration purposes. Does anybody know?

I'm always curious as to whether you can actually see the laser in person, or if the beam we see in those pictures is just added for illustration purposes. Does anybody know?
No, they do that for dramatic effect. However, if the air contains enough dust particles, or moisture droplets (e.g. fog, mist) then you can actually see the path of the beam by seeing the small part of the beam which is being scattered by particulates in the air.

The fact they can focus a beam of light 6mm in diameter on a moving target, from the randomly pitching and rolling deck of a naval warship is incredible.

No, they do that for dramatic effect. However, if the air contains enough dust particles, or moisture droplets (e.g. fog, mist) then you can actually see the path of the beam by seeing the small part of the beam which is being scattered by particulates in the air.

The fact they can focus a beam of light 6mm in diameter on a moving target, from the randomly pitching and rolling deck of a naval warship is incredible.
I recall reading that green colored lasers are visible - not sure what’s different about them.

Agree it’s a cool achievement.

Thanks, Sky! My scientific knowledge of such things is nearly non-existent. I guess it's kind of like one of those laser pointers. Thanks!

You cannot. The beam is added for effect.

I don't care what anybody says, this is cool beans!(y) It's like watching a space flick looking at the picture below.

View attachment 67386920

Laser weapons have several advantages, according to the Navy, including that they can disable sensors and assess the damage they could inflict on targets. Due to the laser being entirely electric, they also pose a lower threat than other military weapons or bombs.

They also require no explosives or propellants, which makes them safer, according to TechSpot.

‘Ultimately, those types of lasers did not transition to the fleet or any other service,’ he added.
and now they will have to build a Faraday cage around it so an Electron-Magnetic burst doesn't take out all it's electronics and make it useless
A EMB takes out electronic devices and if they blow one off over this country it will disable most everything electronic
Cell phones will be useless and we will have very little communications our power stations will go down it will be a mess if it happens and things like this will have to have a heavy duty Faraday cage around it to protect it or it will be useless
have a nice day

View attachment 67386920

I set up a few of these about ten years ago around my property when I started preparing for the impending Zombie Apocalypse.

and now they will have to build a Faraday cage around it so an Electron-Magnetic burst doesn't take out all it's electronics and make it useless
A EMB takes out electronic devices and if they blow one off over this country it will disable most everything electronic
Cell phones will be useless and we will have very little communications our power stations will go down it will be a mess if it happens and things like this will have to have a heavy duty Faraday cage around it to protect it or it will be useless
have a nice day
A person can worry about that or they can take a walk and enjoy the sunset...

Laser technology is an amazing recent technological advancement. The ability to maintain a constant bead on a target while the ship pitches and rolls is old technology (think gyroscope).

View attachment 67386920

They do require a lot of energy don't they?

have a nice day
My "cool beans" comment would turn into a 'fried beans' comment then. I actually was wondering about something happening like you described but figured that the inventor/maker of this laser beam would have that covered but one never knows unless holding the operating manual in one's hands. :)

They do require a lot of energy don't they?
All I could find about the unit is this. 150-kilowatt solid state laser (consuming 450 kws). Higher powered lasers will require added energy storage.

You have already received a few answers but thought that you'd also appreciate this picture as I did.

1650744420093.png
Amphibious transport dock ship USS Portland (LPD 27) conducts a high-energy laser weapon system demonstration on a static surface training target, Dec. 14, while sailing in the Gulf of Aden.Image: Staff Sgt. Donald Holbert/ US Marine Corps

have a nice day

The only way to achieve a EMP strong enough to significantly effect America at large would be with a multi-megaton nuclear detonation. If that happens, there’s be a full scale nuclear war on, so EMP would be the least of anyone’s worries.

You have already received a few answers but thought that you'd also appreciate this picture as I did.

View attachment 67387148
Amphibious transport dock ship USS Portland (LPD 27) conducts a high-energy laser weapon system demonstration on a static surface training target, Dec. 14, while sailing in the Gulf of Aden.Image: Staff Sgt. Donald Holbert/ US Marine Corps

Wow, Ouch! If that doesn't get the point across (no pun intended :) ) then nothing will! Thanks!

Fun fact.

When xerox parc used a laser to get one of the very first computer networks talking between buildings. It freaked out commuters and stopped traffic one foggy morning.

Thanks, Sky! My scientific knowledge of such things is nearly non-existent. I guess it's kind of like one of those laser pointers. Thanks!
Just wait until rival militaries invent better cats to chase those lasers

Of course, I wonder how many read that this was in New Mexico.

In other words, that "picture" is a lie,
I noticed that as well but under that picture in the OP, picture was provided by

The Navy shot down a drone using a new electric-powered laser for the first time in February (Picture: Lockheed Martin)

That's one deep large ass lake in NM. 😆

Back
Top Bottom