• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US Navy commissions new destroyer Thomas Hudner in Boston

DDG 114 is the one that my neighbor's kid will be sailing on soon....

He actually has a point, a good one too.

The danger of the Chinese Navy and armed forces in general, is far from being realized, the idea of Russia and China combining to conduct a conventional war against the United States is laughable at this moment in time, so no at this moment he doesn't have a point, it's an interesting thought experiment, but given that any conflict between any party would inevitably result in the use of Nuclear Weapons, there is no such conflict that would be possible in the coming years and given that China only plans on having 6 Aircaft carriers by 2030 compared to what you already have, and what is planned, I don't think they're a threat in the immediate future.

I believe they have social, economic and political problems that will hamper this grand design Jinping seems to be moving toward and that is based on demographics, can the Chinese shift away from what has got them this far?

Unlimited supplies of cheap labor, their aging population combined with the long term effects of the one child policy could see a massively destablized China, because its much harder for places like China and Japan to offset their problem with immigration, Western countries, despite a slightly hardening stance, have that to their advantage.

However, having said all of that, I did find this of interest.

In that case I know that you are out of the loop.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/14/politics/us-defense-strategy-risk/index.html

Note: What these cats dont understand is that any war will almost certainly be with both China And Russia...they are a team now....and are looking to expand their team that will go head to head against the West, which is in major decline.

Suddenly the word of Elites is worth something to you?

These are not particularly kind words to the Glorious Leader of your Rebellion, doesn't the rebellion have a plan to deal with this properly?

The guy accomplished nothing destroying an expensive plane in the process and what he did was decided by command to be the wrong thing, yet we name a ship after him...would you care to defend that?
Destroyers are frequently named after Medal of Honor winners. Winning one means a lot of people who know a damn sight more above the whole story than you do awards him the MOH.

US Navy commissions new destroyer Thomas Hudner in Boston

big24593.jpg

The USS Thomas Hudner (DDG 116)

Fair winds and following seas, Sir. We have the watch.

ContentBroker_contentid-76e4af34da994961b1e03d40cb1a213c.png

The late Medal of Honor recipient Capt. (Ret.) Thomas Hudner.

Medal Of Honor Captain Tom Hudner Birthday Surprise

August 31, 2016- 50 U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer Selectees traveled from The USS Constitution in Charlestown, MA to Captain Hudner's home in Concord.

The Selectees marched in formation down his street and meet him outside his home. They sang the Navy Hymn, Happy Birthday and presented him with a small gift and cake.

Capt. Hudner graduated Andover Academy in Ma. and USNA Annapolis.

Destroyers are frequently named after Medal of Honor winners. Winning one means a lot of people who know a damn sight more above the whole story than you do awards him the MOH.

Ya but see it looks to me like the Medal of Honor should have never been awarded, thus naming a ship after him because he has the Medal is compounding the mistake. Do we really want to encourage pilots taking it upon themselves to destroy our planes on their personal spur of the moment stupid ideas?

I say no.

So dont name ships after pilots who do it.

Last edited:
Got it, never served.....what’s 420 go for there on the left coast?

Oh here we go again..."Sit down and shut up, only the recognized experts can speak, can know anything".

Look at where that sort of idiocy has gotten us..

The West is DYING!

Ya but see it looks to me like the Medal of Honor should have never been awarded, thus naming a ship after him because he has the Medal is compounding the mistake. Do we really want to encourage pilots taking it upon themselves to destroy our planes on their personal spur of the moment stupid ideas?

I say no.

So dont name ships after pilots who do it.
Actually, what it looks like is you have no friggin' idea of the WHOLE STORY behind this incident. You're trying to judge from a three sentence narrative decades later.

Actually, what it looks like is you have no friggin' idea of the WHOLE STORY behind this incident. You're trying to judge from a three sentence narrative decades later.

Oh I understand what happened that day, what I dont understand is why this guy got the MOH, and why we have named a ship after him.

My fear is that this has a lot to do with the genetics of the doomed pilot.

Oh I understand what happened that day, what I dont understand is why this guy got the MOH, and why we have named a ship after him.
Again, you're making a totally uninformed judgment. To earn a MOH requires a huge package including sworn statement from at least three commissioned officers and eyewitness statements. Not a three sentence summary decades later.

[guote=Hawkeye10]
My fear is that this has a lot to do with the genetics of the doomed pilot.[/QUOTE] Now you're going to make it a racial issue?

Again, you're making a totally uninformed judgment. To earn a MOH requires a huge package including sworn statement from at least three commissioned officers and eyewitness statements. Not a three sentence summary decades later. Now you're going to make it a racial issue? Now you're going to make it a racial issue?

If I am not properly informed here then it is my government who did the failing. The citation does not justify this award, if there was good justification then it needed to be included in the citation .

https://www.pbs.org/weta/americanvalor/stories/hudner.html

I am certainly wondering if this was about race, or maybe we should say about military social engineering programs, but that would not make me making it about race as I had nothing to do with what happened. The citation by mentioning race did make this about race at least some, the question is was this about anything else...

Last edited:
If I am not properly informed here then it is my government who did the failing. The citation does not justify this award, if there was good justification then it needed to be included in the citation .

https://www.pbs.org/weta/americanvalor/stories/hudner.html

I am certainly wondering if this was about race, or maybe we should say about military social engineering programs, but that would not make me making it about race as I had nothing to do with what happened. The citation by mentioning race did make this about race at least some, the question is was this about anything else...
Here's the actual MOH citation - don't see any mention of race.

NYT's says it was a lot about race:

Thomas Hudner, War Hero in a Civil Rights Milestone, Dies at 93
But his feat was not purely a military one. It doubled as a civil-rights milestone: Ensign Brown was the Navy’s first black aviator, and in going to rescue him, Lieutenant Hudner, who died on Monday at 93, defied the expectations of some and defeated a different sort of foe.

When President Harry S. Truman integrated the armed forces two and a half years earlier, some expressed doubts that white and black soldiers would stand by one another in the heat of battle. But Ensign Brown’s race was immaterial to Lieutenant Hudner, and that was precisely the point
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/13/...er-dead-korean-war-medal-of-honor-winner.html

I am disappointed to learn that this nation was all the way back to the Korean War willing to corrupt the Medal of Honor by handing it out for political reasons.

That is the kind of thing that the Soviet Union would do, we were supposed to be better.

Had the down pilot not been black Hudner would have likely been court-martialled.

But he was black so Hudner got the MOH.

And now we have a ship in his name.

To push political agendas.

yuk

Last edited:
I am disappointed to learn that this nation was all the way back to the Korean War willing to corrupt the Medal of Honor by handing it out for political reasons.

That is the kind of thing that the Soviet Union would do, we were supposed to be better.

Had the down pilot not been black Hudner would have likely been court-martialled.

yuk

If there were a political agenda it would be a better one than racism thx anyway.

Until just before the Korean Conflict the armed forces were segregated racially. So that presumably connects to your mantra we used to be better. The desperation to Maga is evident by going far afield to link CNN and NYT which we are free to do of course. It's just strange to see the armband right linking arms with 'em. Field expediency I'd suppose. Cheer up cause the worst for you racially is yet to come.

Why did Hudner make zero effort to get permission from his chain of command to destroy his plane to get to a guy something less than 30 minutes before the professionals got there....without wrecking anything I might add?

Likely because he would have been told no and he knew that damn well.

This can not be encouraged.

The guy accomplished nothing destroying an expensive plane in the process and what he did was decided by command to be the wrong thing, yet we name a ship after him...would you care to defend that?

Pilots were much more valuable than a single plane.

We could produce a 100 planes in the time it took to train a single fighter pilot.

The man was courageous in his actions regardless of any criticism.

You are wrong.

Last edited:
Oh here we go again..."Sit down and shut up, only the recognized experts can speak, can know anything".

Look at where that sort of idiocy has gotten us..

The West is DYING!

It must suck to be you! Never answer a question straight up when the answer shows you ought not be anywhere near a military thread. First you need to care for something more than yourself. You have no context, but you are dismissed............

Why did Hudner make zero effort to get permission from his chain of command to destroy his plane to get to a guy something less than 30 minutes before the professionals got there....without wrecking anything I might add?

Likely because he would have been told no and he knew that damn well.

This can not be encouraged.

Since we're talking naval here your lesson in ship's crew and teamwork is for you yourself alone and only to man up to this naval gun, do target acquisition, load the sucker then fire it. All by yourself, yes.

6151880.jpg

US 16 inches Coastal Defense Gun Watertown Arsenal MA (Carriage M19), Bethlehem Steel, (Barrel).

Again, that's you by your lonesome independently. You yourself only are also and of course responsible for cleaning it and maintaining it. The only thingys you are exempted doing by yourself and alone are manufacturing it, shipping it and assembling it.

No gun crew allowed to work with you and certainly no black crew members. It's how to Maga by returning to the racially segregated armed forces. Or to get back to it as closely as possible.

yuk

There is so much wrong in the above post..

The danger of the Chinese Navy and armed forces in general, is far from being realized, the idea of Russia and China combining to conduct a conventional war against the United States is laughable at this moment in time, so no at this moment he doesn't have a point, it's an interesting thought experiment, but given that any conflict between any party would inevitably result in the use of Nuclear Weapons, there is no such conflict that would be possible in the coming years and given that China only plans on having 6 Aircaft carriers by 2030 compared to what you already have, and what is planned, I don't think they're a threat in the immediate future.

I believe
they have social, economic and political problems that will hamper this grand design Jinping seems to be moving toward and that is based on demographics, can the Chinese shift away from what has got them this far?

Unlimited supplies of cheap labor, their aging population combined with the long term effects of the one child policy could see a massively destablized China, because its much harder for places like China and Japan to offset their problem with immigration, Western countries, despite a slightly hardening stance, have that to their advantage.

However, having said all of that, I did find this of interest.

Suddenly the word of Elites is worth something to you?

These are not particularly kind words to the Glorious Leader of your Rebellion, doesn't the rebellion have a plan to deal with this properly?

You're way ahead of the other guy and by light years so good on you if I may say so.

As to Iran, they don't have any USMC generals over there. So yes it's interesting but only if Iran has our generals and admirals which they don't have nor will they ever have any. Look at Putin for instance who got LTG Michael Flynn yet all Putin got for that is more sanctions and a briefly useful idiot indicted who had to plead guilty plus sing for his supper.

China has since 2012 put its PLA Blue Force against its Red Force in battle testing against the other. It's all PLA commanders of course. The blue commanders do what the US Army and forces do, at least to the extent PLA generals can do that which is less than stellar. It's not even close but never mind on that and just stay with me here for a moment thanks. The Red Force is the PLA in its usual mode. Blue Force stomps Red Force year after year. Multiple times a year. Red Force hardly wins anything. The Party Central Military Commission stopped firing Red Force commanders cause after a while no PLA generals and colonels wanted to command Red. Instead CMC just equips Red commanders with crying towels, literally in a number of instances.

Last year when Gen. Fang Fenghui chief of the PLA general staff first met James Mattis (in Florida with Trump and Xi) Fang asked the general what kind of army he preferred to fight. Mattis being Mattis said he likes to fight against a big military that trains a lot but hasn't any combat experience. Fang, Xi, Trump and everyone knew Mattis was referring to PLA -- and the entire military over there. Mattis said that "hard training" is no substitute for combat experience and that even the best planning often falls apart early in a conflict under the "chaos of war." (Mattis Marine call signal was CHAOS.) PLA hasn't fought another army since it fell apart in chaos trying to invade Vietnam in 1979. I'd add that I think Mattis was going easy on the China man by not mentioning the fact PLA promotions to colonel and generals' ranks costs a Party officer a Brink's truck haul of RMB.

In his own words:

Still Lame.

We recall that Gen. "Black Jack" Pershing commanded the all black troops of the Buffalo Soldiers 10th Cavalry Regiment. Before entering West Point where he became brigade 1st Captain and commander of the lily white corps of cadets Pershing had taught at an African American school in his home state of Missouri.

Pershing returned to command the Buffalo Soldiers into Cuba fighting alongside Col. Teddy Roosevelt at San Juan Hill where Pershing earned the Silver Star. Army troops called Pershing "N***** Jack" until 1905 which was when Pershing was advanced to brigadier general. Troops then began to call Pershing the disciplinarian "Black Jack" GENERAL, SIR!. Pershing said he took pride in either nick.

Pershing included the Buffalo Soldiers regiment among the 5000 troops he commanded on the Punitive Expedition into Mexico in 1916. He engaged the Buffalo Soldiers directly against the Mexican Army regulars where they performed credibly.

In command of the WW I Expeditionary Army in Europe Pershing opposed the armistice and insisted on forcing the unconditional surrender of Germany. He was promoted to five-star rank as General of the Armies, the first. In the 1930s the retired Pershing introduced his protege' George C. Marshall to President FDR -- Marshall had been an operations and planning officer on Pershing's command staff during the war. With Pershing's strong advocacy FDR appointed Marshall chief of staff in 1940; Marshall was awarded the rank of General of the Armies in 1944. As SecDef Marshall implemented the desegregation of the armed forces.

So the long and winding road is simultaneously and ironically a straight line. For the late USN Captain Thomas Hudner Jr. the road and line led to the Medal of Honor. For trying unsuccessfully to save his flight leader in Korea, Ensign Jesse L. Brown the Navy's first African American aviator. Good on the USA nation for it. The whole of it is in our better traditions and heritage.

Back
Top Bottom