• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US Navy’s Shipbuilding Plan Doesn’t Meet Congress’ Needs, Lawmakers Say

While I agree with the majority of you post, there is no way of knowing how a carrier would survive a missile strike.

I single ballistic missile may well send a carrier to the bottom.
What makes you think a ballistic missile is likely to be capable of hitting a carrier?

"US Navy’s Shipbuilding Plan Doesn’t Meet Congress’ Needs, Lawmakers Say"
Wouldn't the Navy leaders be more knowledgeable about what's needed?

That would depend on what your objectives are, wouldn't it? The right number of bids go to the right states and contractors vs having the right ships at the right time to fight the Chinese or whomever.

This particular squabble is as old as the country.

One of the absolutely stupidest posts I've seen on this board ever.

If ships were so easy to "blow out of the water" why have so few been blown out of the water since World War Two? Because it isn't that damned easy. American carriers can survive and return to combat even if at minimum 6 missiles hit them. This has been proven by explosions and fires aboard carriers over the years. Smaller U.S. ships can withstand one or two missiles.

It would also be rather callous of everyone involved in sending ships with thousands of people on board into harms way if they think there's a high chance of them being sunk with massive loss of live involved.
A single carrier group involves up to ten thousand people to get underway and the crew it would be unthinkable for politicians to send them out in ships that can't take punishment and stay afloat.

Another poster deflects by arguing that the old fashioned navy should become the means for distributing aid , relief , expertise etc.

"Deflects" and "should become". You yourself said they never do anything constructive, then when challenge call it "deflection".

Guess what, that has been a key use of the Nave since it was founded. Those of us that actually know the mission and what they do are aware of that, but you know nothing of that so automatically reject it just because it does not fit in with what you want. Humanitarian assistance and disaster relief are key missions of the Navy. Look to any hurricane that strikes the US from Ivan and Katrina to Hugo and others, and you will see the Navy landing quickly to provide support and relief.

*snorts* At least a big chunk of the US Navy was not lost to a third world nation a few decades ago.

While I agree with the majority of you post, there is no way of knowing how a carrier would survive a missile strike.

I single ballistic missile may well send a carrier to the bottom.

Only if it has a nuclear warhead.

The entire concept behind the DF-21D is a fantasy, and it will never work. In fact, many actually believe it is a smoke screen, as all the other missiles in that class are actual nuclear warhead delivery systems. So shouting to the world they were launching one that is conventional at a carrier fleet might delay a response, and even cause some to question if the "explosion" from such was of a nuclear weapon, or the carrier being hit.

But the very idea is stilly in the extreme. Remember, carriers operate well outside of RADAR range of the shore. There is no way to accurately acquire one, especially with the pinpoint accuracy needed to actually strike it. You literally are talking about trying to locate, then track a moving object from over 1,000 miles away, with no way to do that. "Over the Horizon" RADAR does exist, but it is not accurate at all, giving the user little more than "An object is out there in this direction", not what is needed to know what the objects really are, and their exact location.

And a carrier is a moving target. With the flight deck being roughly the size of 3 soccer or football fields laid end to end. 40 meters across. And the DF-21D is believed to have a CEP in the range of 50-100 meters.

In other words, even if it is performing exactly as believed in the fantasy, there is a good chance it will still miss the carrier. There is a damned good reason why no nation uses ballistic missiles (other than nukes) for trying to hit moving targets.

And also, a ballistic missile would no more sink a carrier than any other single missile. Many of the most "lethal" missiles are actually not all that big, designed to poke a hole in the waterline. Not the fantasy of a missile slamming through over 200 feet of decks and bulkheads as this one claims to be able to do.

One of the absolutely stupidest posts I've seen on this board ever.

If ships were so easy to "blow out of the water" why have so few been blown out of the water since World War Two? Because it isn't that damned easy. American carriers can survive and return to combat even if at minimum 6 missiles hit them. This has been proven by explosions and fires aboard carriers over the years. Smaller U.S. ships can withstand one or two missiles.
Do you know what DEW is and what it can do ?

And what it did to the vulnerable US bunch of Aircraft Carriers ? Put them all in dry dock .

The only place now for fighting Naval Battles is the Olympics --- take your boats to point X and blow your static opponents to smithereens while they try to do exactly the same to 'you '.

Preposterous and ludicrous .

Guess you are another of our cosy old chaps who did valiant service in times that have now gone forever ?

These days drones , hyper Missiles and weaponised satellites do the business .

Space in . Water out .

Cut back on expenditure America . You know you never win however many boats and dinghies you have .

And what it did to the vulnerable US bunch of Aircraft Carriers ? Put them all in dry dock .

The only place now for fighting Naval Battles is the Olympics --- take your boats to point X and blow your static opponents to smithereens while they try to do exactly the same to 'you '.

Guess you are another of our cosy old chaps who did valiant service in times that have now gone forever ?

Complete fantasy. You have been reading far to many Science Fiction stories, and apparently believing them.

What next, fleets of nuclear powered Centurions, armed with Gatling laser canons?

First of all, there are no "weaponized satellites". So that can be easily ignored.

Directed Energy Weapons have huge issues. Most specifically, they are all very short range, and direct line of site. And obviously the carriers are not in drydocks, because once again you are talking about fantasy and not the real world. Carriers are by their very design over the horizon platforms, and not vulnerable to direct energy weapons even if they did exist.

But tell you what, you know about the old saying of a splinter in your neighbor's eye while you have a mote in your own? How about starting with your own country, and screaming about them before whining at another.

Of course, there is not much there to be cut, as the once mightiest Navy in the world can now not even reliably take on a third world country.

Complete fantasy. You have been reading far to many Science Fiction stories, and apparently believing them.

What next, fleets of nuclear powered Centurions, armed with Gatling laser canons?

First of all, there are no "weaponized satellites". So that can be easily ignored.

Directed Energy Weapons have huge issues. Most specifically, they are all very short range, and direct line of site. And obviously the carriers are not in drydocks, because once again you are talking about fantasy and not the real world. Carriers are by their very design over the horizon platforms, and not vulnerable to direct energy weapons even if they did exist.

But tell you what, you know about the old saying of a splinter in your neighbor's eye while you have a mote in your own? How about starting with your own country, and screaming about them before whining at another.

Of course, there is not much there to be cut, as the once mightiest Navy in the world can now not even reliably take on a third world country.
A complete Compliance Gullible .
What you are told is exactly what you believe .
DYOR .
I estimate that you are 20 years adrift of what is available now .

Hint . You won't get smart if you just bow down to MSM . And, out of interest, what exactly do the 5000 satellites that point to earth do? Not just the weather aids . rofl .

A complete Compliance Gullible .
What you are told is exactly what you believe .
DYOR .
I estimate that you are 20 years adrift of what is available now .

Hint . You won't get smart if you just bow down to MSM . And, out of interest, what exactly do the 5000 satellites that point to earth do? Not just the weather aids . rofl .

Yeah, figured you were part of the tinfoil hat crowd.

But direct energy weapons are line of sight. No matter what, you can't avoid the law of physics.

And trust me, I am well abreast of what is available now. I spent years working on the PATRIOT missile system, and at White Sands spent a lot of time talking with the Navy guys working out at USS Desert Ship LLS-1 about work on railguns and other similar systems as you are trying to imply.

Yep, fun thing about working at White Sands, and actually working on the newest systems and what was still in development. I learned that they are almost nothing like what most people seem to think they are.

I am not "20 years adrift", I simply am not stupid enough to believe what some morons are trying to say about such systems. But please, feel free to look back at posts I was making here over a decade ago about those and other weapons. Like those 12 years ago screaming that conventional ships were obsolete because of the power of railguns.

Funny, a decade later and still nobody is using them.

What are you babbling about?

1) When have a significant number of U.S. carriers been in dry dock for any reason?
2) What evidence do you have that directed energy weapons can damage warships significantly?
3) While I enjoy Star Trek, you do know that "fire phasers" is purely fictional don't you?
4) What evidence do you have that any nation has large directed energy weapons?

You're engaging in nothing but fantasizing.

Prove it.

Are you ****ing kidding me?

Try staying away from subjects that you know nothing about.

What are you babbling about?

1) When have a significant number of U.S. carriers been in dry dock for any reason?
2) What evidence do you have that directed energy weapons can damage warships significantly?
3) While I enjoy Star Trek, you do know that "fire phasers" is purely fictional don't you?
4) What evidence do you have that any nation has large directed energy weapons?

You're engaging in nothing but fantasizing.

Norfolk has had it's carriers in port all at the same time. I know this because I drive by them almost every day.

If it is easy for you to prove then prove it?

Your link has nothing about ballistic missiles being used against carriers.

Norfolk has had it's carriers in port all at the same time. I know this because I drive by them almost every day.
There are more places carriers are based that Norfolk.

To be fair Aircraft carriers are bloody huge and slow compared to missiles.
It will be the job of the air defence ships in the group to save its bacon.
If they can shield the carrier then it should be ok but the carrier may take a hit.

I just don't think a single hit would sink a carrier of the size of a Nimitz as it just has so many compartments.

It's not going to be much fun for the crew though if it is hit even if it isn't sunk.

If they can shield the carrier then it should be ok but the carrier may take a hit.

I just don't think a single hit would sink a carrier of the size of a Nimitz as it just has so many compartments.

It's not going to be much fun for the crew though if it is hit even if it isn't sunk.

A flight deck hit renders it useless.....................period. Can't launch and can't recover jets.

A keel hit renders it motionless, and further makes another flight deck hit all the more easier.

A flight deck hit renders it useless.....................period. Can't launch and can't recover jets.

A keel hit renders it motionless, and further makes another flight deck hit all the more easier.

Fair enough I'm just saying it won't sink the ship.
I agree it'll be out of action and steaming for the nearest friendly port at top speed.

I'm unsure how much ability the other ships in a group will have to tow a carrier if it is crippled?

In the 1969 fire, at least six 500 lb. bombs plus other ordnance exploded aboard the ship. Equivalent to at least two full sized anti ship missiles.

the ship survived and returned to service in about 7 weeks.

Can launch and recover STO/VL aircraft like Harriers and F-35s though

And they are jets as well.

Space in . Water out .

Cut back on expenditure America . You know you never win however many boats and dinghies you have .

The question is do you know what DEW is and what it can do...

Please share your knowledge of DEW and what it did to our carriers.

Back
Top Bottom