• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US Muslims prep for Islamic holiday — around 9/11

Hatuey

Rule of Two
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
US Muslims prep for Islamic holiday — around 9/11 - Yahoo! News

NEW YORK – The lunar calendar that Muslims follow for religious holidays is creating a potential for misunderstandings or worse in a year when American Muslims are already confronting a spike in assaults on their faith and protests against new mosques.

Eid al-Fitr, a joyous holiday marking the end of the holy month of Ramadan, this year falls around Sept. 11. Muslim leaders fear that their gatherings for prayer and festivities could be misinterpreted by those unfamiliar with Islam as a celebration of the 2001 terrorist strikes.

The Muslim Public Affairs Council, an advocacy group based in Los Angeles, is contacting law enforcement and the Justice Department civil rights division to alert them to the overlap.

However, he and other American Muslim leaders don't want to make so many changes that they appear to be giving in to those who reject any Muslim observance in the United States. Some critics have said Muslims should move the date of the eid.

"It's like being offended that 9/11 and Christmas fall on the same day," said Safaa Zarzour, secretary general of the Islamic Society of North America, an Indiana-based communal group with tens of thousands of members. "There is something unsettling about that."

Yvonne Maffei, 35, of Des Plaines, Ill., a Chicago suburb, said she and her husband plan to stick with their usual Eid al-Fitr plan. They will attend morning prayers at their local mosque, go out for brunch then visit friends during the day.

The hits just keep on coming. This seems like much ado about nothing to be honest. It's widely known that Muslims don't use the same calendar as Christians or Jews. However I do wish they made the same effort in condemning Muslim terrorist attacks as they do in condemning potential threats to their holidays.

US Muslims prep for Islamic holiday — around 9/11 - Yahoo! News

The hits just keep on coming. This seems like much ado about nothing to be honest. It's widely known that Muslims don't use the same calendar as Christians or Jews. However I do wish they made the same effort in condemning Muslim terrorist attacks as they do in condemning potential threats to their holidays.

It's more that "seems like much ado about nothing", it is much ado about nothing. Their holiday happened to fall on September 11th. That's it. What they are doing here is just preemptive public control. Letting people know that it's just how the calendar worked out, and nothing more. Sadly, such a move is probably necessary right now.

I agree with Hautey's thoughts on this. At the same time I wonder how much its the fault of Muslims and how much its the fault of the Media. There's actually seemingly a number of muslim moderates that have spoken out against the Mosque at Ground Zero, spoken out strongely against terrorists, spoken out against the treatment of women, etc....however, those never are the focus or the front story. Why that might be I'm sure will create differing opinions on differing sides as to the cause...

My wedding anniversary is September 4th. Our honeymoon ended on 9/11 of that year.

I guess we were celebrating the attacks too, right? :lol:

My wedding anniversary is September 4th. Our honeymoon ended on 9/11 of that year.

I guess we were celebrating the attacks too, right? :lol:

Well that's slightly dishonest. You're not a Muslim and you already stated you were on your honey moon. This however is a situation where a major holiday for them is situated ON a day that most Americans won't easily forget. My issue is how weeks before their holiday is to take place many prominent centrist groups are out doing damage control for all the wrong reasons. Instead of advocating that they should use their holiday to condemn Islamic terrorism, they are out in full force saying that they're not celebrating 9/11. It's all in the actions.

Well that's slightly dishonest. You're not a Muslim and you already stated you were on your honey moon. This however is a situation where a major holiday for them is situated ON a day that most Americans won't easily forget. My issue is how weeks before their holiday is to take place many prominent centrist groups are out doing damage control for all the wrong reasons. Instead of advocating that they should use their holiday to condemn Islamic terrorism, they are out in full force saying that they're not celebrating 9/11. It's all in the actions.

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I wasn't responding to you so much as the idiots who will take this as a celebration of 9/11 -- because some will.

Anyway, it seems to me that they're trying to contradict the sound bites you could expect to hear on all the usual suspect pundit shows, rather than doing what they should be doing. That's today's media environment for you.

I completely agree with this. It's not Islam's fault that 9/11 happens to be the day Eid falls on, but I can't think of a better time for them to distance themselves from terrorism and condemn the attacks on 9/11. I find it very rude and inconsiderate for them to play the martyr with fears that they will be persecuted on 9/11 because they are celebrating an Islamic holiday. This would be the perfect time for the Islamic community to condemn terrorism. They can celebrate their holiday, but they can also mourn with the rest of the nation for the events that took place on that day.

They can celebrate their holiday, but they can also mourn with the rest of the nation for the events that took place on that day.

What I don't understand is why Muslims need to constantly condemn to make others feel like we do not support it. We have condemned before, American Muslims especially. It should be common sense by now all Muslims do not support extremists.

And in that link:
Moghul said most New York Muslims likely won't celebrate the way they normally do, and noted that a significant number lost relatives when the World Trade Center was destroyed. Many imams in the city plan sermons on dealing with loss and grief.

"It's a very painful day for everyone," Moghul said.

I agree with Hautey's thoughts on this. At the same time I wonder how much its the fault of Muslims and how much its the fault of the Media. There's actually seemingly a number of muslim moderates that have spoken out against the Mosque at Ground Zero, spoken out strongely against terrorists, spoken out against the treatment of women, etc....however, those never are the focus or the front story. Why that might be I'm sure will create differing opinions on differing sides as to the cause...

Doesn't make good news when moderates disagree. It seems most news reported nowadays is used to piss people off about something.

What I don't understand is why Muslims need to constantly condemn to make others feel like we do not support it. We have condemned before, American Muslims especially. It should be common sense by now all Muslims do not support extremists.

And in that link:

If an American terrorist put a bomb in Mecca and killed thousands of people, the only people to condemn them on a constant basis would be Americans. We, as a people, wouldn't have celebrations on that day. We, as a people, wouldn't for the most part sit quietly while the radical pastor du jour was on TV telling us that we should attack Muslims. We would make sure that everyone is constantly reminded that we have distanced ourselves from such radicalism.

However, that's not what the Muslim community has done as a whole has it? While it's true that some groups have disassociated themselves from the acts of radicalism, the majority of moderate Muslims stayed quiet. That they were silenced by their local media networks or simply didn't care are possible reasons. Most people don't support terrorism and that's a given. However when the society, group or community as a whole is almost completely silent when it comes to condemning terrorism coming from their religion but gets on a bullhorn when there is a threat towards them then you can't help but see how hypocritical they are.

Last edited:
Because if an American terrorist put a bomb in Mecca and killed thousands of people, the only people to condemn them on a constant basis would be Americans.

I doubt it would be the same.

It is common sense that if all Muslims did support extremists. Then US's problems would be 1000x worse.

There's a ****-ton of stuff that millions of American non-Muslims don't bother to condemn, simply because we take it for granted that no reasonable person would support it. Like the pre-meditated murder of a woman on the basis of some archaic concept of honor.

The thing is, you and I both know there's a whole other set of rules for Muslims.

"It's like being offended that 9/11 and Christmas fall on the same day," said Safaa Zarzour

They do? ****, my calendar is ****ED UP.

You need the new NASA calender, as documented on Sifl and Olly. Then you'll never be late again, just on-time in a way nobody else can understand. :lol:

However, that's not what the Muslim community has done as a whole has it? While it's true that some groups have disassociated themselves from the acts of radicalism, the majority of moderate Muslims stayed quiet. That they were silenced by their local media networks or simply didn't care are possible reasons. Most people don't support terrorism and that's a given. However when the society, group or community as a whole is almost completely silent when it comes to condemning terrorism coming from their religion but gets on a bullhorn when there is a threat towards them then you can't help but see how hypocritical they are.

Nothing can happen with Muslims as a "whole". We are more divided than ever. No way will you ever heard a "united" 1.2billion condemnation of terrorism. There is no hierarchy of authority.

And Muslims have been condemning, the difference is very few hear it. I am not going to sit here and pretend I spend all day condemning what Muslims do abroad because frankly. It is not my fault what other people do and I and other Moderates are not responsible for it.

What the Muslim community in US seem to be doing is just doing pre-empting those who will claim Muslims are celebrating 9/11 on Eid and trying to put out information. I don't blame them either.

Nothing can happen with Muslims as a "whole". We are more divided than ever. No way will you ever heard a "united" 1.2billion condemnation of terrorism. There is no hierarchy of authority.

And Muslims have been condemning, the difference is very few hear it. I am not going to sit here and pretend I spend all day condemning what Muslims do abroad because frankly. It is not my fault what other people do and I and other Moderates are not responsible for it.

What the Muslim community in US seem to be doing is just doing pre-empting those who will claim Muslims are celebrating 9/11 on Eid and trying to put out information. I don't blame them either.

You seem to be united on your holidays, prayer time, voicing any possible attacks against your religion. Just sayin'.

NOOOOOOO THEY ARE PLANNING TO BOMB USSSSSS!!!! Everybody head for your shelters, basements, **** your gun with a bullet because you got to have balls when you need to pull it.

I do understand that many Muslims condemn terror attacks, and that it's foolish to say all Muslims are responsible for 9/11. I just believe it's a prime time to condemn the attacks and mourn with the rest of us who mourn for the losses on 9/11. Say a Christian nation existed and in the name of God bombed Mecca and killed thousands of people. Would it not be sensetive if a Christian holiday like Easter (that changes each year) fell on the anniversary of the attack?

I am an American who says that do people have anything better to do than too than to bitch about this? I am just saying y'all are treating Muslims as a second class citizen which I find stupid.

You seem to be united on your holidays, prayer time, voicing any possible attacks against your religion. Just sayin'.

Heh.
Oh wow. You have unintentionally mentioned one of divisions.
We are not united on Ramadan. Muslims from different sects, countries have a pissing contest when Ramadan comes about, disagreeing on "when" the Moon shows. What signals the beginning of Ramadan? Does it start when the native country declares it or when Saudi's do? Follow tradition or science.

Divisions among Muslims. Endless.

I am an American who says that do people have anything better to do than too than to bitch about this? I am just saying y'all are treating Muslims as a second class citizen which I find stupid.

This is the American way though, bitch about **** you do not understand because talking about stuff that actually counts for anything is to hard and complicated.

The moderate Muslims calling for peace and understanding don't make for good news headlines when sensationalism is what is being sought after.

Heh.
Oh wow. You have unintentionally mentioned one of divisions.
We are not united on Ramadan. Muslims from different sects, countries have a pissing contest when Ramadan comes about, disagreeing on "when" the Moon shows. What signals the beginning of Ramadan? Does it start when the native country declares it or when Saudi's do? Follow tradition or science.

Divisions among Muslims. Endless.

btw Im going to eat a ****load today, take a hit from a bong, and then have sex with it...right in front of a mosque.

I do understand that many Muslims condemn terror attacks, and that it's foolish to say all Muslims are responsible for 9/11. I just believe it's a prime time to condemn the attacks and mourn with the rest of us who mourn for the losses on 9/11. Say a Christian nation existed and in the name of God bombed Mecca and killed thousands of people. Would it not be sensetive if a Christian holiday like Easter (that changes each year) fell on the anniversary of the attack?

American Muslims will be. It said so in the link that sermons will occur in Mosque.

I do not understand why Eid should be changed (You can't change the day of Eid - It's impossible anyway)
The traditions have been in place centuries before 9/11 occurred.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom